Academy General Topic

smetrov

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In that case, the scouts haven’t been doing their job, they are paid handsomely to cherrypick the best talent and then nurture them when they’ve found them

Read what I said, it’s nothing to do with the scouts. We may have trialled and wanted him, but there are a lot of options for a young child to go through. The parents obviously make a decision for younger children,  we have no idea what promises were made from clubs to get players to sign.

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Read what I said, it’s nothing to do with the scouts. We may have trialled and wanted him, but there are a lot of options for a young child to go through. The parents obviously make a decision for younger children,  we have no idea what promises were made from clubs to get players to sign.

I agree with you, we could nick Bellingham this Summer, that’d go down well with their fans

12 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I agree with you, we could nick Bellingham this Summer, that’d go down well with their fans

He ia a bluenose, why would he come here compared to teams that are interested 

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

How do you know we missed him? We may have trialled and him and he made another choice. Youngsters can be at various clubs at a young age. 

Because he is not playing for us.....who would not want to play for Villa around here.

If you are right, then we need to pursue these players like we did Louie Barry, Jack Grealish and even Gareth Barry in the past.

I think we do have a more robust bunch in charge of the academy at present, but just commenting on the past 10 years or so.

On 09/04/2020 at 13:21, useless said:

Announced on his twitter that' he's left Albion today.

I'm Sure Mark Harrison will watch with interest......I understand Albions Academy over recent years has been impressive.

I know our owners/CEO are very keen to improve this area.

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He ia a bluenose, why would he come here compared to teams that are interested 

We’re Aston Villa, still one of the biggest clubs in the land, we could flex our financial muscle and their fans would go nuts

On 03/04/2020 at 20:17, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who else have we missed? 

James Maddison at Coventry.

Calum Wilson at Coventry.

Joe Lolley at Blues

Jarrod Bowen at Hereford.

just off the top of my head.....I'm sure others will have more.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

James Maddison at Coventry.

Calum Wilson at Coventry.

Joe Lolley at Blues

Jarrod Bowen at Hereford.

just off the top of my head.....I'm sure others will have more.

Joe Lolley had to go into lower leagues before he made it,  Jarrod Bowen is from near Watford

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Joe Lolley had to go into lower leagues before he made it,  Jarrod Bowen is from near Watford

Bowen is from Leominster in Herefordshire, at least that’s what it says on Wikipedia, where did you get that from, that he’s from near Watford?

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I'm Sure Mark Harrison will watch with interest......I understand Albions Academy over recent years has been impressive.

I don't think he'll need to watch with interest - he's left them to join us - we got rid of the person currently doing the job earlier in the week. I'd be surprised if he hasn't already started work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think he'll need to watch with interest - he's left them to join us - we got rid of the person currently doing the job earlier in the week. I'd be surprised if he hasn't already started work.

who has he replaced?

On 04/04/2020 at 16:30, rodders0223 said:

TIL Lee Sharpe is from the Midlands.

Stourbridge, West Midlands

played for Forest Falcons as a kid

Edited by TRO

On 03/04/2020 at 20:54, Zatman said:

Interesting Football 365 today made a best West Midlands team in Premier League History, not many from our academy

Murray

Richards Knight Ashley Williams Lescott

Carsley

Redmond Maddison Grealish Sharpe

Sturridge

Joe Hart is from Shrewsbury.

Albrighton obviously.

I'd sooner have Nathan Baker in than Zat Knight.

Hendrie/Whittingham over Carsley.

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

Albrighton obviously.

Zat Knight played for England and had a solid career in the Premier League, he was an underrated player 

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

I like Baker but he played in one of the worst defences in Premier League history which was the criteria

• Like 1

I hope steve hopcroft does join us alongside Harrison.

Granted the fruits of these developments will take years to come to fruition, but i hope we can develop our own top class youth system after so many years of it being so poor for such a big club.

Let's hope these guys are given all the support required, purslow does seem to be placing huge emphasis on our youth system.

Exciting times if we can get it right, and there is no guarantee we will, but looks like we are doing everything we can.

Hopefully players like barry, chuk and other good talent will soon see some football in and around the first team.

Might come sooner than we think if we get relegated :(

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dale said:

Albrighton obviously.

different players, who would win the ball or stop the opposition.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I hope steve hopcroft does join us alongside Harrison.

Granted the fruits of these developments will take years to come to fruition, but i hope we can develop our own top class youth system after so many years of it being so poor for such a big club.

Let's hope these guys are given all the support required, purslow does seem to be placing huge emphasis on our youth system.

Exciting times if we can get it right, and there is no guarantee we will, but looks like we are doing everything we can.

Hopefully players like barry, chuk and other good talent will soon see some football in and around the first team.

Might come sooner than we think if we get relegated :(

I just hope we are able to develop kids  in addition to the offensive players we have created.....we seem to be ok at this.

I would like to see a few full backs or centre backs come through or a complete/all rounded midfielder.....like Gareth Barry.

Â