Academy General Topic

smetrov

4 hours ago, TRO said:

How did we miss Bellingham, anybody Know?

We've missed a load locally over recent years - the only surprise with Bellingham is that he's not at the Albion. It's one of Purslow's keys for future success.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We've missed a load locally over recent years - the only surprise with Bellingham is that he's not at the Albion. It's one of Purslow's keys for future success.

Who else have we missed? 

Interesting Football 365 today made a best West Midlands team in Premier League History, not many from our academy

Murray

Richards Knight Ashley Williams Lescott

Carsley

Redmond Maddison Grealish Sharpe

Sturridge

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Interesting Football 365 today made a best West Midlands team in Premier League History, not many from our academy

Murray

Carsley

Sturridge

That's pathetic :D 

Is it coincidence or is there a reason behind that extremely weak production?

It usually moves in cycles, right now the poorer Paris suburbs and south London seem to be the big hot spots for young talents.

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Murray

Carsley

Sturridge

I’d say that Jack Butland is a better keeper than Matt Murray was

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’d say that Jack Butland is a better keeper than Matt Murray was

Butland is from Bristol 

Its players born in West Midlands

Edited by Zatman
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Butland is from Bristol 

Its players born in West Midlands

Apologies, I thought it was for players that had come through West Midlands academies hence why it was in this thread. Lee Sharpe came through Torquay’s academy so I was way off

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

Murray

Carsley

Sturridge

I'm having Albrighton or Gabby over Redmond!

18 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who else have we missed? 

Blimey, well from Albion's academy we've missed out on at least the following local lads in recent years; Rayhaan Tulloch, Rekeem Harper, Nathan Ferguson, Kemar Roofe,  and Romaine Sawyers. I'm not sure on Rico Richards or Jonathon Leko but I think they might have grown up locally and I guess you could claim that Tyler Roberts isn't too far away in being from Gloucester. We can add Louie Barry to that list too - although that one might have turned out okay in the end. 

I'm also reminded of the Nabi brothers, who lived a few hundred yards from Villa Park and were at the Albion academy - Albion have dominated locally for almost a decade and that's a balance it's vital we change.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Blimey, well from Albion's academy we've missed out on at least the following local lads in recent years; Rayhaan Tulloch, Rekeem Harper, Nathan Ferguson, Kemar Roofe,  and Romaine Sawyers. I'm not sure on Rico Richards or Jonathon Leko but I think they might have grown up locally and I guess you could claim that Tyler Roberts isn't too far away in being from Gloucester. We can add Louie Barry to that list too - although that one might have turned out okay in the end. 

I'm also reminded of the Nabi brothers, who lived a few hundred yards from Villa Park and were at the Albion academy - Albion have dominated locally for almost a decade and that's a balance it's vital we change.

Berahino as well I know he has turned out shit but was a hot prospect

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Maybe with Mark Harrison’s WBA connections, we could nick a few of them like we did with Louie Barry

On 13/03/2020 at 18:45, useless said:

Birmingham Mail "exclusive" linking us with with a move for Steve Hopcroft who is Albion's "head of academy recruitment"...

'Aston Villa are looking to poach another key member of West Bromwich Albion’s academy staff, Birmingham Live understands.

Steve Hopcroft has resigned as Albion’s head of academy recruitment and been placed on gardening leave at The Hawthorns.'

Announced on his twitter that' he's left Albion today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

How do you know we missed him? We may have trialled and him and he made another choice. Youngsters can be at various clubs at a young age. 

In that case, the scouts haven’t been doing their job, they are paid handsomely to cherrypick the best talent and then nurture them when they’ve found them

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In that case, the scouts haven’t been doing their job, they are paid handsomely to cherrypick the best talent and then nurture them when they’ve found them

He is bluenose, he would have probably chose them if option

• Like 1

Â