Academy General Topic

smetrov

I haven't been following them myself, but have seen several articles praising them, here's one from the BBC that references their pedigree against some of the best teams in Europe...

What started as an ambitious project to create "an outstanding games programme" for what is effectively an under-21 team - the idea of the club's late technical director Robert Rowan, who died in November aged only 28 - now commands attention all round Europe.

Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Porto, Benfica and Premier League giants Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City all have sides, either youth or B teams, beaten by the relative unknowns from west London.

Brentford is a B team by name that has developed a reputation in Europe for bringing its A game.

"At the moment Brentford have a good prestige," said German match agent Gerald Prell.

"Bayern Munich is one of the best youth teams in Germany, who play in the Uefa Youth League [previously known as the Under-19 Champions League] against sides like Ajax, Real Madrid, Paris St-Germain and Juventus and now they play Brentford B.

"It has become word of mouth that every game against them is good. They are unique for having just one youth team but they have created a team that can compete with Bayern Munich and many others."

48 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Thanks, I thought he had a lot of potential, I’m surprised we let him go but we very rarely get it wrong

Really?! I think it’s more that 95% of players in an academy team won’t make it at the level the club is at so it’s easy to say we got it right releasing a load of people who won’t make it. I think we have made plenty of mistakes with youth in the past and from Harrison’s comments when he joined I think he agrees.

36 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Highly regarded by who?

Doesn't really matter. You only have to look at the players who have started in their U23s then moved to the 1st team since they scrapped the academy to see how successful it is.

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Really?! I think it’s more that 95% of players in an academy team won’t make it at the level the club is at so it’s easy to say we got it right releasing a load of people who won’t make it. I think we have made plenty of mistakes with youth in the past and from Harrison’s comments when he joined I think he agrees.

Doesn't really matter. You only have to look at the players who have started in their U23s then moved to the 1st team since they scrapped the academy to see how successful it is.

What mistakes do you think we have made? Do you mean with regards to letting players go that we shouldn’t have? Lots have gone on to have good careers

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What mistakes do you think we have made? Do you mean with regards to letting players go that we shouldn’t have? Lots have gone on to have good careers

For me the biggest problem has been how few youth players we have sent on loan. Add to that we still seemed to keep them until early 20s with no game time and it never made sense to me.

I can’t say for sure that this hindered anyone’s development as we can’t know, but I’ve always thought it’s a little short sighted. Thankfully we seem to be much better at that now and I guess we’ll see in a few years if it makes a difference to player development!

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

For me the biggest problem has been how few youth players we have sent on loan. Add to that we still seemed to keep them until early 20s with no game time and it never made sense to me.

I can’t say for sure that this hindered anyone’s development as we can’t know, but I’ve always thought it’s a little short sighted. Thankfully we seem to be much better at that now and I guess we’ll see in a few years if it makes a difference to player development!

I think the main reason is that they are simply not quite good enough for us, that is no slight on the player’s ability themselves. Some have good careers at good levels, others drop out of the game altogether. 

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he is good, very good, I see a lot of potential in him. He’s like an old fashioned style target man, he’s excellent, he has a very unique style of play. Players develop at different rates, this loan could be the making of him if he plays 

Interesting that you hold him in such high regard, football is all about opinions of course. Not my cup of tea to be honest, surprised he has stayed at the club so long.

10 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Interesting that you hold him in such high regard, football is all about opinions of course. Not my cup of tea to be honest, surprised he has stayed at the club so long.

Why isn’t he your cup of tea? I thought he was very good whenever I saw him 

12 hours ago, AndyClarke said:

“Surprised he has stayed at the club so long”?  He was six months into the second year of his scholarship! How many years have you been watching him?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dadster23 said:

“Surprised he has stayed at the club so long”?  He was six months into the second year of his scholarship! How many years have you been watching him?

Looking back at my emails, I expressed an opinion on him in 2017, I expected he would be released.

46 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Don't think he punches his weight or provides the platform that his physical size should.

I agree with you but remember he is only 18 years old, he has a lot of potential I think, he will fill out and then watch him fly

When was the last time, we developed an Academy Enforcer or a power house midfielder?

all i ever read ,is this player or that player, is a real talent, but out side of Jack when has it ever come to fruition.

these talents just get taken out by seasoned pro's.....never to be seen again and just drop down the leagues.

Do we actually, develop players for the first team now or just to sell?

Edited by TRO

On 30/01/2020 at 15:12, AndyClarke said:

Don't think he punches his weight or provides the platform that his physical size should.

Story of our recent life.

• 2 weeks later...
Â