What position will we finish in 2020/21? (VOTE)

ender4

What position will we finish in 2020/21?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. What position will we finish in 2020/21?

• Top 6
    • 7-9
    • 10-11
    • 12-13
    • 14-15
    • 16-17
    • Bottom 3

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/20 at 12:33

Please vote and feel free to comment on why you picked that position.

It is voting before any major transfer activity, we can have another poll after the transfer window shuts.

Edited by ender4

12/13th for me. But it's a bit of a blind guess as so much depends on the next couple of months of transfers. 

I would hope we would be able to avoid being seriously caught up in the relegation battle - but I'd be surprised if we threatened top half unless we have a very exciting window. 

A cautious 14th - 15th from me,

Reasons are i truly believe the hardest season for a newly promoted team is the second one (although the first was tough enough of course!). I have always felt that the second season is tough because you lose any surprise element you may have had in the first season. Opposition teams have worked you out more basically.

With us it's a bit weird though as we had so many new players settling in we may actually be a lot better now they have and of course we had most of our spine injured (Wesley, Heaton, McGinn) for half the season too which really hurt us i feel and meant the early settling in period was again unsettled by the injuries to key players. Then add Covid to the mix & VAR & it's no surprise we struggled.

So i feel this, along with a few new signings of hopefully better quality, will make us a little stronger.

On the downside there are some very tough games added to the mix with Leeds, West Brom & whoever wins the Playoffs tonight being surely tougher than Norwich, Watford & Bournemouth even if the latter we did so poorly against last term. Then of course the likes of Man U, Arsenal & Man City you would expect to be stronger than last season too.

So i guess to summise i feel we will improve in a tougher division than last season was which will see us creep up a few places as we continue to develop this team. It's the season after we can start to make upwards strides i feel if all goes well in 20/21. This will be helped by the ridiculous fixture congestion the teams in European competition will have endured too which in my view will deffo result in a string of tired performances & injuries to the over worked World class type player.

2021/22 could be a big year for us but i'd be happy with steady progression next season.

• Like 1

This thread could be fun in a few weeks time. Should we spend another £100m or so I can think of half a dozen posters that will have the following primed and ready to go

'After spending £250m in 2yrs anything less than top 4 is failure, no excuses. Smith will have to go and he can take the pissing board with him'

For me, a solid 13/14th without really flirting with relegation would be good progress. 

Struggle to understand some of the pessimism. Even with the exact same squad, I think *next* season we would finish around 10th/11th. Imagine not having our spine ripped apart last season. A full season with John McGinn regaining his super, Heaton in goal, Wesley continuing his improvement plus having fully settled in a new culture.

If Jack stays, plus these new signings, it's top 8 for me. We'll be chasing a European place, no doubt in my mind.

3 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Struggle to understand some of the pessimism. Even with the exact same squad, I think *next* season we would finish around 10th/11th. Imagine not having our spine ripped apart last season. A full season with John McGinn regaining his super, Heaton in goal, Wesley continuing his improvement plus having fully settled in a new culture.

If Jack stays, plus these new signings, it's top 8 for me. We'll be chasing a European place, no doubt in my mind.

Sure, if we have no injuries we'll likely do better, but what are the chances of that?  Heaton is made of paper, Jack is fouled hundreds of times a game and SJM + Mings dive head first into every challenge. It's also a more compact season, so more fatigue and likely more injuries.

I think people underestimate how much more of a squad we need next season.  We have very little to offer from the bench, so having the likes of Trez, AEG and Connor as subs is key. I don't think we have anything like that amount of quality in every position.

The days of MON playing 14 players in a season are going to look pretty distant (if they don't already).

15 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Will you be disappointed if we dont get top 8?

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

Gone with 12, thought last season we would finish mid table, but now most of these have had a season in the league and if we improve the squad can’t see why can’t finish 12 or even higher 

I don't think we really know until our transfer business is concluded.

However if we can improve the first team with three to four players better than those who currently occupy places then midtable (10-12th) should be the lowest.

Maybe I'm ever the optimist?

Baby steps.  Went for 16-17th, maybe with an optimistic eye on 15th.  Success as far as I'm concerned would be going into the last 3-5 games mathematically safe from relegation (whilst as far as possible avoiding serious/long-term injuries).  Would be over the moon if we're punching up to 10th.

Obvious caveat that this is without knowing what the squad is going to actually look like come opening day.

Edited by GarethRDR

Â