Squad Review - Relegation 2020 & Championship 2020/21

MaVilla

McGinn wont get the bids that people think, I expect Hourihane to get picked up by a Premier League club before McGinn. He would be a quarter of the price and offers a goalscoring threat in an organised squad

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

lSell/release: (inc. players we have zero chance to keep)

Nyland, Bree, Lansbury, Grealish, Trezeguet.

this may provide £60 - 70m+?

Is that a package deal?

Grealish for £80m: £5m off the price for every one of the following you take with him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Sell/release: (inc. players we have zero chance to keep)

Nyland, Bree, Lansbury, Grealish, Trezeguet.

this may provide £60 - 70m+?

24 minutes ago, penguin said:

Is that a package deal?

Grealish for £80m: £5m off the price for every one of the following you take with him.

Nah not a multi deal, i was thinking more like 200m for Grealish, release the rest, and then giving 130m to a worthy charity to atone for our disgusting transfer dealings, leaving us with 60/70m ish :P

• Haha 1

Whichever division we're in we need another central defender, a defensive midfielder, a box to box midfielder two wingers/wide forwards, a centre-forward, and N.10 type, although if we shop wisley we can buy a winger that can double as a No.10.

I'm not really bothered who leaves, only care that we build a team capable of competing.

Most important thing to get right is the manager, as we've seen countless times, doesn't matter how much you spend, or how exciting the players coming might seem, if you haven't got the right manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Really strange people keep saying this.

Who do you think is buying them? Our absolute minimum asking fees between those four will be over £125m.

Three of them signed contracts at the start of the season.

To be honest if bids coming on for Grealish are only around £40m he'll be starting back at villa park first game back. 

Not a chance Grealish will be with us in the championship. £40m would a record fee by some distance for a championship club

48 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not a chance Grealish will be with us in the championship. £40m would a record fee by some distance for a championship club

So?

We won't be selling for £40m. Inter have just signed a right wing back for £40m. That's nothing for teams at the top.

The second Jack signs for Utd/City he becomes a £100m player so we shouldn't even be selling for £50m.

Teams won't bid £25m for McGinn, they won't bid £25m for Mings. We can improve on Mings I think tbh.

Grealish and Luiz will attract interest but I'm not sure Luiz will get £25m bids. Maybe if City have something built in yes.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

So?

We won't be selling for £40m. Inter have just signed a right wing back for £40m. That's nothing for teams at the top.

The second Jack signs for Utd/City he becomes a £100m player so we shouldn't even be selling for £50m.

Teams won't bid £25m for McGinn, they won't bid £25m for Mings. We can improve on Mings I think tbh.

Grealish and Luiz will attract interest but I'm not sure Luiz will get £25m bids. Maybe if City have something built in yes.

I disagree - Grealish has looked poor since the restart.

If £40m is the only offer on the table I reckon we would take it. Crucially I don't think Grealish would want to stay and play in the championship.

Legally he is under contract - in practice if he wants to go he will.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I disagree - Grealish has looked poor since the restart.

Any director of football with a brain won't be looking at the last five games as a reason they can get Grealish for £40m.

If £40m is the only offer on the table I reckon we would take it. Crucially I don't think Grealish would want to stay and play in the championship.

I don't. Our owners are billionaires and they'll want out of the Championship straight away.

No decent bid? Sorry Jack, you helped relegate us, now get us back up.

Legally he is under contract - in practice if he wants to go he will.

Fair comment.

I hope it doesn't become unsavoury.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Any director of football with a brain won't be looking at the last five games as a reason they can get Grealish for £40m.

I don't. Our owners are billionaires and they'll want out of the Championship straight away.

No decent bid? Sorry Jack, you helped relegate us, now get us back up.

Fair comment.

I hope it doesn't become unsavoury.

It won't - Jack knows he will get his move - sure there will be a bit of haggling over the fee - but I don't see us blocking his move to play in the top flight and maybe the CL

What I'm hoping for is that both Manchester clubs want to sign Grealish, which will hopefully push the price up.

I'm not sure we would sell both McGinn and Luiz.

Whatever happens, this summer is going to be interesting. Hopefully Suso isn't involved in any of it.

9 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

What I'm hoping for is that both Manchester clubs want to sign Grealish, which will hopefully push the price up.

I'm not sure we would sell both McGinn and Luiz.

Whatever happens, this summer is going to be interesting. Hopefully Suso isn't involved in any of it.

I think Mcginn is the most likely to stay.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

So?

Nobody knows the fine print in the new contract he signed when Edens and Sawiris took over. Just a hunch but i believe he signed under the premise he would be given permission to speak to a club should an official approach be made. We've been fortunate that hasn't happened since he signed that contract. It's coming though, United will formally submit a bid in the next few weeks i think. Forget about this 80 million lark. 2 things. Jack wants to leave now, clearly. And if we get relegated and try hold on to him we'll have a sulking player who doesn't want to be here. It'll be 40 to 50 million. Villa get difficult, United will go elsewhere. It's United, they're no tin pot club. Also getting relegated does impact his market value.

Edited by Johnnyp

Ideally keep Mings, Heaton and McGinn to form a decent spine. I'm reasonably confident we'll keep Heaton and McGinn but think we have to accept that with euros delayed the chances of Mings staying are much reduced. Can see prem clubs taking him as a squad defender even for 20m +.

With others I'd give AEM a 12 month deal as he was good in the run in last time, hasn't done too badly this season either when he's played and can cover a couple of positions. Would try to move on likes of Taylor and Lansbury but easier said than done.

From our summer intake I'd try to keep Luiz given his recent improvement but given Brazil have started calling him up and he will be in their Olympics squad it depends if he wants to put that on hold for 12 months as I doubt they'd call him up in the championship. Would keep Engels and Gulibert around. They looked alright start of the season and think we also have to factor we could well be appointing a new head coach at some stage in next six months so you have to factor in some of the underachievers will hopefully be improved.

Would try to shift likes of Trez, Nakamba and El Ghazi. Get the feeling El Ghazi now feels the championship is beneath him so we don't need players in the squad with that attitude. We need a shake up out wide anyway as we know the present options aren't good enough if we do straight back up.

We will bring in 5-6 as let's not forget if the championship is starting in mid September the schedule will be even more crazy than normal. Will probably have a game pretty much every midweek so will need to regularly rotate. Same needs as last summer really. Experienced CB, strong midfield ball winner and leader, pacey wide player and better striker than what we've got. Over to you Suso if he survives himself....

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I think Mcginn is the most likely to stay.

Yeah he's looked woeful since he came back from injury so think clubs will wait for him to get back into form in championship before bidding. Certainly no way you'd have watched him in the recent games and think that's a 25m central midfielder right there.

Let's not forget we tied him down to a new 4 year deal in August so we're in a strong position to demand fee we know clubs won't pay. I'd also make him captain if Grealish and Mings leave in same window.

Once he's fully fit we know he's quality in the championship so a must keep for me if the club is serious about doing things in next five years.

• Like 1

the thoughts of being stuck with samatta,a crocked wesley and tactically dead davis fills me with dread even in the championship.

The fact of the matter is that the team needs to be rebuilt and trying to do that in the championship will be nigh on impossible,what quality player will want to come play in the championship from abroad?

If we do happen to go up in one season again,where does that leave us? panic buy like last time and go straight back down?..Unless something drastically changes in the way the club is run i can see us staying in the championship  for another 3 seasons

Edited by OLDVILLAIN

4 hours ago, hippo said:

It won't - Jack knows he will get his move - sure there will be a bit of haggling over the fee - but I don't see us blocking his move to play in the top flight and maybe the CL

I'm not too sure about that. I can see us getting lowballed this season and like another poster said, we'll be more than willing to keep him here with us for the Championship. At which point that would be incredibly frustrating to Jack.

I'd be reluctant to throw everything in the bin like some sort of hissy fit.

Keep smith and most of the squad. Sign a few top championship players and a couple of prem loans and we will be right up there. 

Ripping it all up will be risky. I think smith stays.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd be reluctant to throw everything in the bin like some sort of hissy fit.

Keep smith and most of the squad. Sign a few top championship players and a couple of prem loans and we will be right up there. 

Ripping it all up will be risky. I think smith stays.

Keep smith? If anyone deserves the sack its smith after his awful performance as manager in the premier league. 

I agree on your point though about ripping the squad up. We dont have to make major changes. 

Do we need to sell luiz and mcginn? I dont think we do. 

Grealish and mings alone bring in close to 100m alone. Get rid of trez and one of samatta/wesley. Also let elmo, Taylor and lansbury  go. Im also tempted to throw nakamba in there but i think he could be good at championship level.

We need to build a spine around heaton luiz and mcginn.