Squad Review - Relegation 2020 & Championship 2020/21

MaVilla

I don't think we get rid of Samatta or Wesley, give them a chance and see if they get their heads round English football and develop in to what we thought they would

There's at least one more player from our spending that will do a Luiz and just come back speaking English bossing it 

We need someone that can stick the ball in between the old onion bag!! I struggle to see where the goals will come from. Jack will be gone. But we hold the aces to be honest, if let's say Manure come in with a 15m take it or leave it for Jack we can say jog on. Look at the stupid prices championship teams wanted for their players last season. They want to keep their assets as well. 

Keepers :

Heaton as we are paying him £42k a week no other team will take that on , decent keeper, so we are quite strong here if he stays fit

Steer as backup , sign a youngster

Bin Nyland & Kalinic

Defence :

Mings will be gone

leaving us

Hause , Konsa ,Engels ,Targett , Guilbert ,Taylor ,Elmo

we need to strengthen here big time , we have no pace or any leadership

Midfield :

Jack has already gone  , with McGinn and Luiz also likely to go and thankfully Lansbury and his £40k a week will be gone from the books end of this season

that leaves us ,

Hourihane (signed a new deal in the summer so unlikely to go ), Jota ( 1yr left) , El Ghazi , Trez , Nakamba

yeah we are pretty **** here  , plus i'd expect El Ghazi and Trez to leave (hopefully)

presumably Vassilev , Ramsey & Chukwuemeka will be around the squad

Forwards :

Samatta , Wesley & Davis

on paper these 3 are quite strong for the Championship  , If the hype is true then presumably Barry will add to the squad and become the 4th striker

That squad isn't winning promotion as it stands in my opinion .... however ,  income from the sales of Grealish, Mings , Luiz , El Ghazi , Trez ,  should help the new manager mould a team that he wants ....

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Midfield :

Jack has already gone  , with McGinn and Luiz also likely to go and thankfully Lansbury and his £40k a week will be gone from the books end of this season

He has another year left on his contract, 2021

Just like Taylor. Some absolutely shocking contracts agreed to since we went down.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

He has another year left on his contract, 2021

Just like Taylor. Some absolutely shocking contracts agreed to since we went down.

well , that just ruined my day

• Haha 1

I like your overview there, @tonyh29, though I can see those remaining defenders being a reasonable unit at Championship level without too much extra investment. Full-backs of Guilbert and Targett then a centre-back pairing from Hause / Engels / Konsa. Even if we signed no-one else, that looks stronger than the start of our last season down there (Hutton - Chester - Jedinak - Taylor).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I struggle to see where the creativity is coming from without Jack.

2 wins in 12 we won last season without him.

You know we can sign players in the summer right?

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah. We're not too good at that.

We didn't do well last summer. The idea that will then be the same forever is a bit daft. 

Next year, like last time we were down there, we will have the advantage of everyone at that level wanting to play for us. 

Edited by DCJonah

With FFP being dispensed with this year (is it?) we may not actually have to sell anybody. Of course, some of our 'big' names like Grealish, Luiz and Mings could actually go on loan to see how things pan out. I can't see many teams spunking mega bucks this summer, so loaning out may be better for us (to see if we can get back up and see if this virus goes away) and better for the club that might be interested in our players... Try before you actually buy...

Grealish could be crap for United. He could end up on the bench all season, no good for him. We don't know. United won't be paying top dollar for him at all.

Mings - he won't want to play in the Championship again now that he's an England international. But at the same time, as nice enough as a guy he is, I can't see mega bucks being spent on him as he's been part of a defence that has been collectively shite for over 9 months.  I can see him going on loan to one of the promoted teams.

Heaton - as with Mings.

Whichever way you look at it, we won't be getting mega bucks for our players, and I'm sure I've seen it reported somewhere that the parachute payments for relegated teams will be reduced too. Going to be an interesting summer if you like white knuckle rides and pouring paraffin onto Aston Villa. Pretty confident that Smith will be our manager going into the new season - didn't Purslow say as much? We'd be sticking with Dean for the long term, even if we get relegated.

You don't have to quote any of this with a sneer or a snipe if you don't like my post. It's just an internet forum and what I've typed may or may not actually be what I really think. Peace be with you all, fellow Villans, come what may.

Edited by Raver50032

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think we get rid of Samatta or Wesley, give them a chance and see if they get their heads round English football and develop in to what we thought they would

There's at least one more player from our spending that will do a Luiz and just come back speaking English bossing it 

Its a risk, relying on those two. But I do think they should be able to score goals at that level. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Its a risk, relying on those two. But I do think they should be able to score goals at that level. 

Hopefully hopefully Wes is talking to Luiz seeing his form jump through the roof and follows a similar path if it is as simple as settling and learning the language 

Samatta looks like a fitness and form issue and hopefully playing in the championship a couple of early goals and he's on his way

Purslow is not going to like it but we will need to get some loans in again from the big boys.  It will be back to being short term but if done correctly it brings in quality which you can't afford to have permanently as a championship side.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Purslow is not going to like it but we will need to get some loans in again from the big boys.  It will be back to being short term but if done correctly it brings in quality which you can't afford to have permanently as a championship side.

If we can get them on loan to buy (dependant on performance/promotion) to help create that stability then even better.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Joe Lolley will be a obvious signing. Good player for the championship. Villa fan. Probably cost about 15-20 million in today's market.

Talked about this before... 

Good player for the championship hits the nail on the head, what about when we get promoted 1 or 2 years in to his 5 year deal?