Squad Review - Relegation 2020 & Championship 2020/21

MaVilla

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Keepers :

Heaton as we are paying him £42k a week no other team will take that on , decent keeper, so we are quite strong here if he stays fit

Steer as backup , sign a youngster

Bin Nyland & Kalinic

Defence :

Mings will be gone

leaving us

Hause , Konsa ,Engels ,Targett , Guilbert ,Taylor ,Elmo

we need to strengthen here big time , we have no pace or any leadership

Midfield :

Jack has already gone  , with McGinn and Luiz also likely to go and thankfully Lansbury and his £40k a week will be gone from the books end of this season

that leaves us ,

Hourihane (signed a new deal in the summer so unlikely to go ), Jota ( 1yr left) , El Ghazi , Trez , Nakamba

yeah we are pretty **** here  , plus i'd expect El Ghazi and Trez to leave (hopefully)

presumably Vassilev , Ramsey & Chukwuemeka will be around the squad

Forwards :

Samatta , Wesley & Davis

on paper these 3 are quite strong for the Championship  , If the hype is true then presumably Barry will add to the squad and become the 4th striker

That squad isn't winning promotion as it stands in my opinion .... however ,  income from the sales of Grealish, Mings , Luiz , El Ghazi , Trez ,  should help the new manager mould a team that he wants ....

Plus relaxation of FFP 

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think we get rid of Samatta or Wesley, give them a chance and see if they get their heads round English football and develop in to what we thought they would

There's at least one more player from our spending that will do a Luiz and just come back speaking English bossing it 

I think Luiz is our 2020 Gueye, not footballing style etc. In terms of showing bits of quality here but ultimately he'll move and go on to play his best football with a better team. ( hopefully without a 7 million relegation clause in his contract though )

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think Luiz is our 2020 Gueye, not footballing style etc. In terms of showing bits of quality here but ultimately he'll move and go on to play his best football with a better team. ( hopefully without a 7 million relegation clause in his contract though )

Would be such deja vu if Everton signed him

20 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Clubs  might not want to spend £25m on him to match the rumoured City buy back clause  and I don't think he's quite ready to go back to them yet  , so he could well be ours for another season ?

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Clubs  might not want to spend £25m on him to match the rumoured City buy back clause  and I don't think he's quite ready to go back to them yet  , so he could well be ours for another season ?

He could boss the championship. Time he'd have on the ball. Plus it's not world cup year so he won't have to be panicking about playing top flight football next season if he wants to get into a Brazilian squad.

Edited by Johnnyp

Sad thread.

Especially when I consider exactly one year ago today we'd just signed Mings, had the excitement/optimism of all the other new signings and transfer links, and I was also on holiday in Mallorca without a care in the world!

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm still not sure whether Luiz would meet many more work permit criteria than we had to meet when we signed him i.e. he needed to be one of the top earners and top transfer fees for us (he has only played once for Brazil and never in the Champions League).  I'm not sure how many clubs would offer that, under the current circumstances especially, or how many European teams will have money to throw around.  

Mings is a tough one to guess, he is very level-headed and single-minded.  He could easily just tell us he wants to go or say he wants to stick it out with us.  I'd say probably 60-40 in favour of him going.  Grealish will definitely go for big money, hopefully to City rather than Utd.  Pretty confident of keeping the rest and I'm more optimistic about them being good enough for the Championship unlike the usual doom-mongers.  Sign some young players who we would be confident that they will make the step up if we get promoted, hopefully the likes of Barry and Chukwuemeka will have their development accelerated by playing more games too.

Mings and Grealish are too high profile to play in the Championship. Grealish is offski regardless if we somehow stay up or more realistically get relegated. 

I just can't see Mings sacrificing a year of his career to play in the championship, considering he is now in the England squad with less than a year to the delayed Euros.  Mings is playing catch up considering how much of his career he has already lost to injuries. 

I  don't think  Heaton will play  for England again at his age and coming back from the injury and doesn't really matter for McGinn for Scotland if he drops down again. Luiz could be the interesting one as he would be immense in the championship or he could probably get a move to a mid table premier league side if he pushed for it like Newcastle or West Ham if they stay up.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

should we go down.
Jack is obviously gone.

Mings, whilst has enjoyed his time here, won’t be selected for Euros playing in championship, so therefore likely to go. 

Engels, Who knows what’s going on with him, but people were saying he’s had a fall out with Smith, if so he’s a goner.

Luiz, has shown he has quality. But I do question whether enough has been shown to warrant someone paying more than we did for him. City may buy him back and then loan him out, as they’ll want him playing premier league if he’s as good as they thought originally. Also think he is the type that may not want to play down the leagues. Think he’ll be gone.

Trez, seems his agent wants him out. Going

El Ghazi, could see a promoted team, or someone like West Ham taking him. Also seems to fall out with some players, so he may not be committed. Going

I think everyone else stays. Main areas of recruitment in championship would therefore be, wide forwards x 3/4

DLP

CB

CF

Brighton have their finger on the pulse to be fair. Lamptey was a steal. Now they are close to getting the very talented Jensen Weir from Wigan. Disappointing with Purslow's contacts in English football he couldn't got Dan Ashworth as sporting director . Suso ? Does he even know where Wigan is never mind their players.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Engels, Who knows what’s going on with him, but people were saying he’s had a fall out with Smith, if so he’s a goner.

That’s assuming Smith is still there, which is far from certain.

I'd expect Mings and Grealish to be signed by premier league clubs. McGinn and Heaton will be very good players in the championship. The rest? They'll be average championship cloggers. IF we are serious about getting promoted straight back then we would need to sign 5/6 players but 5 or 6 John McGinn's rather than 5 or 6 Ross McCormack's.   

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I'd expect Mings and Grealish to be signed by premier league clubs. McGinn and Heaton will be very good players in the championship. The rest? They'll be average championship cloggers. IF we are serious about getting promoted straight back then we would need to sign 5/6 players but 5 or 6 John McGinn's rather than 5 or 6 Ross McCormack's.   

Don't know about Mings.

No other defenders have made more mistakes leading to goals than Mings. Clubs will be worried about stats like that.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Don't know about Mings.

No other defenders have made more mistakes leading to goals than Mings. Clubs will be worried about stats like that.

I don't rate him that highly but he's English, he's a good talker and he has an England cap so I expect someone to sign him.

• Like 2

On 08/07/2020 at 00:10, MaVilla said:

lets be real, we are pretty much relegated now, if we do manage to stay up, fair play and i will eat my proverbial hat.

So, i would like to review the current squad and requirements next year for an attempt at automatic promotion.

Current Squad:

Keep:

Heaton , Steer, Targett, Taylor, Engels, Konsa, Hause, Guilbert, Elmo, Nakamba, Hourihane, El Ghazi, Jota, Wesley, Samatta, Davis, [give some youth a chance also - ie: bench].

Keep if we can:

Mings, McGinn, Luiz

Sell/release: (inc. players we have zero chance to keep)

Nyland, Bree, Lansbury, Grealish, Trezeguet.

this may provide £60 - 70m+?

Players Position purchase requirements - min. £80m to spend - money from sales above inc. some monetary input from club (must be quality signings.....!!!!):

Defensive Midfielder

Central Midfielder

Left Winger/Left Inside Forward

Right Winger/Right Inside Forward

Striker (possibly? - youth/development?)

your thoughts!?

I'd keep Trezeguet as I think he'd tear up the Championship. I just think he's found the move to the Prem difficult and there are many reasons for that other than, 'he's shit'. I also think mings would stay. 

So

heaton

Guilbert - Hause/Konsa - Mings/Engels - targett

Trezuguet - luiz (if stays) - mcginn (see Luiz) - new fast winger

Wesley - AN Other forward