Squad Review - Relegation 2020 & Championship 2020/21

MaVilla

lets be real, we are pretty much relegated now, if we do manage to stay up, fair play and i will eat my proverbial hat.

So, i would like to review the current squad and requirements next year for an attempt at automatic promotion.

Current Squad:

Keep:

Heaton , Steer, Targett, Taylor, Engels, Konsa, Hause, Guilbert, Elmo, Nakamba, Hourihane, El Ghazi, Jota, Wesley, Samatta, Davis, [give some youth a chance also - ie: bench].

Keep if we can:

Mings, McGinn, Luiz

Sell/release: (inc. players we have zero chance to keep)

Nyland, Bree, Lansbury, Grealish, Trezeguet.

this may provide £60 - 70m+?

Players Position purchase requirements - min. £80m to spend - money from sales above inc. some monetary input from club (must be quality signings.....!!!!):

Defensive Midfielder

Central Midfielder

Left Winger/Left Inside Forward

Right Winger/Right Inside Forward

Striker (possibly? - youth/development?)

your thoughts!?

I think we have no shot at keeping Mings, McGinn or Luiz.

Heaton , Steer, Targett, Engels, Konsa, Guilbert, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Wesley, Samatta - These are the only ones I would keep but we have absolutely no spine here. Need a couple of commanding CMs, AM and winger. I'd be confident in that back 4 for the Championship but none of the rest should be starters IMO.

7 minutes ago, grobs said:

I’m surprised you would keep all of those players to be honest 

well, we need the core of a squad?, no point in spending 80m on 10 players, when we can keep the core of the squad and add genuine quality to 3-4 positions?

• Like 3

I'd keep Jota, Steer, Guilbert, Samatta and Hourihane for the Championship. Heaton I think is on a massive salary so we will have to get rid. Maybe a few others for consistency. 

No chance of keeping Mings, McGinn, Grealish or Luiz. They're all PL quality players who will be available at below market rate. 

The fact Trezeguet is still regularly starting games, despite being a terrible footballer, tells you everything you need to know about our squad.  

• Like 1

The only 2 players I definitely see going are Grealish and Mings. The club is going to want to get promoted again, we aren't going to sell off every decent player we have. Mings hasn't really had a great season but the only reason I've put him in is because he's an England international, someone will be after him. I fully expect us to hold onto McGinn and Luiz. 

Keeping Heaton will be absolutely massive. He'll be the best keeper in the Championship by miles. 

13 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

No chance of keeping Mings, McGinn, Grealish or Luiz. They're all PL quality players who will be available at below market rate.  

Really strange people keep saying this.

Who do you think is buying them? Our absolute minimum asking fees between those four will be over £125m.

Three of them signed contracts at the start of the season.

To be honest if bids coming on for Grealish are only around £40m he'll be starting back at villa park first game back. 

• Like 1

Wonder if there are any relegation release clauses in the new contracts and the summer signings? I bet there is even if the club says there isn't.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder if there are any relegation release clauses in the new contracts and the summer signings? I bet there is even if the club says there isn't.

yeah, we got caught out with Gana in our relegation season did we? (release clause)

If we did get caught out like that again, more fool us, it would be idiotic to allow ourselves to be in that position again (unless the clause is for a sizeable profit)

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Really strange people keep saying this.

Who do you think is buying them? Our absolute minimum asking fees between those four will be over £125m.

Three of them signed contracts at the start of the season.

To be honest if bids coming on for Grealish are only around £40m he'll be starting back at villa park first game back. 

Luiz will go back to City. They likely have a reduced buy back based on relegation, if not there will be plenty of people after him. Mings I'm not sure on, Arsenal, Everton, Spurs could easily take a look for a reduced price. McGinn could go anywhere, if there's interest he's gone IMO. We can't keep them, they will want to play Prem football. I cant remember relegated sides hanging on to top players, they will force a move.

Edited by AndyM3000

Mcginn hasn't been good enough to warrant a move 

He started well, lost form, got injured, returned out of shape

We would want north of £20m, he hasn't shown anywhere near that value 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1