Squad Review - Relegation 2020 & Championship 2020/21

MaVilla

On 08/07/2020 at 11:27, villa4europe said:

Talked about this before... 

Good player for the championship hits the nail on the head, what about when we get promoted 1 or 2 years in to his 5 year deal? 

He becomes a squad player on the bench.

I get what people are saying but the other danger is we just sign a few loans we can't sign full time like Tammy (e.g. Brewster) and so then we need to sign 2-3 strikers if we go straight back up rather than one if we already have likes of Lolley and Gayle in the squad.

The key next time we go up is obviously not to have to sign over 10 new players again. Gayle scored v us and Bournemouth recently he's capable at prem level of scoring v bottom end teams and he's been a squad striker at Newcastle who've comfortably finished mid table so don't see the issue in getting him in, think he's got 1 year left on his deal there so won't be that expensive compared to other strikers.

Joe Lolley is 27 years old. Last time I looked players are generally coming into their peak at that age and Joe hasn't been in pro football as long as the general player so shouldn't be as burned out.

Leicester signed Vardy when he was 26 didn't they?

Edited by VillaChris

Grealish is already gone but I’m hopeful that we can keep Mings and McGinn. I’d like to think that they feel a certain level of responsibility for our relegation. I know Mings now has his England place to think about and the exposure that brings, but if he really loves the club like he seemed to last season then he might just relish captaining us to another promotion. He’s in contract and I doubt anyone will want to pay £30m for him seeing as he’s not the finished article. 

McGinn’s injury has taken away his chance to prove he’s a consistent premier league player, not sure anyone will pay big money for him now. If we don’t need to sell then I can see him staying on. 

Edited by It's Your Round

Just imagine if we did sell about 50% of the squad as many on here are demanding....wouldn't that just show up the idiotic nature of last summer? First in not buying enough players good enough for premier league and second not even testing them out in the championship where some of them might actually look better e.g. Gulibert and Engels.

One thing I'm looking forward to is next time we go out and what sort of transfer strategy we approach as no way we can just do exactly the same as summer 2019. Would be serious club policy failure if we had to.

The last thing we want to do is buy another 10 players and start from scratch again.We need to get rid of Smith.Sign a quality manager ( one that has actually won trophies and has PL experiance ) and go from there.

• Like 1

The gulf between Championship teams and premier league teams will be huge, this was a year to remain in the league to push on with ffp scrapped for a year. How do we come up and survive in the premier League

I genuinely don't know what the answer is, we're not lucky enough to be a Wolves, have the plucky resilience of Newcastle despite being pretty shit, we don't have the team ethos like Sheffield United, we don't have the luck of securing a top international manager like Bielsa, wouldn't surprise me if Brentford get promoted and stay up.. Why? Because the have an identity in the way they are run and play.

What have we actually achieved in the last few years?! **** all

1 minute ago, supermon said:

Because the have an identity in the way they are run and play.

Strangely so did Dean when he first came in.. then like most Villa managers they turn negative and completely lose the plot when results start to sour. Must be something in the water at bodymoor. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Tbh only one I would want to keep is Luiz for next season from that starting lineup tonight, let’s hope the youth get games next season 

I think Konsa has impressed since the restart. Playing out of position at RB he has been more than a match for some of the top attacks in the league. 

For me I would accept defeat when it comes to Jack and Mings, both will be gone. I hope that financial clout will mean we can turn down bids for McGinn and Luiz as I think that is our ticket back to the prem. People like ElGhazi and Trez might leave, maybe Targett too. Decent championship level players like Elmo, Taylor, Davis, Jota will be useful back up. 

Build the rest of the team around:

Heaton

Guilbert Konsa Engels ???

??? Luiz McGinn ???

Wesley Samatta

• Like 1

I love the thought of retaining Douglas Luiz if we end up in the championship, but it’s not going to happen. City will buy him back, even if only to sell for bigger money. Grealish will leave, as will Mings. Earlier in the season I thought McGinn would be a guaranteed departure if we were relegated, now I’m not so sure. Douglas Luiz will be the biggest loss, playing well in the most important position. I think we should be prepared that we might have to develop for a couple of seasons or so in the championship with younger replacements that we develop as a team. Two or three senior players with experience and guile for the championship will need to be signed to keep everything together next season. I see Heaton, Hause, Guilbert, Elmo, Konsa, Taylor, Hourihane, Davis, McGinn all remaining. We’ll probably have to get one or two loans in to bolster the first team. 

Based on our previous years in the Championship I think many of us are aware that a complete rebuild will not be beneficial for this club.

It is important that we keep our core

Goalkeepers: Heaton, Steer, Nyland

Defenders: Hause, Konsa, Engles, Guilbert, Targett. 
Midfielders:  McGinn, Luiz , Hourinhane, Nakamba, Jota

Forwards: Wesley & Samatta 

Add Ramsey, Barry and Chuckwuemeka to the squad 

And sign some quality wingers and striker and we’re good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Based on our previous years in the Championship I think many of us are aware that a complete rebuild will not be beneficial for this club.

I think we will probably see a couple more go, I just really hope we add some players with real pace to the squad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I think Konsa has impressed since the restart. Playing out of position at RB he has been more than a match for some of the top attacks in the league. 

For me I would accept defeat when it comes to Jack and Mings, both will be gone. I hope that financial clout will mean we can turn down bids for McGinn and Luiz as I think that is our ticket back to the prem. People like ElGhazi and Trez might leave, maybe Targett too. Decent championship level players like Elmo, Taylor, Davis, Jota will be useful back up. 

Build the rest of the team around:

Heaton

Guilbert Konsa Engels ???

??? Luiz McGinn ???

Wesley Samatta

I was thinking something along those lines, probably with Hause left side as he's naturally left sided, Engels as competition. I think McGinn will be gone, Luiz not so sure. I did always think that he would but he made a statement the other day to suggest otherwise.

At the moment, for me, the question marks would be filled by Elhammody right side, Trezeguet left side, Targett left back and Nakamba realistically instead of Mcginn. I'd like to see us get upgrades on all of those though, particularly the 2 left sided players. I agree with the sentiment that we don't want another revolving door, but i think it's inevitable that we will see a bit of that under the circumstances. Assuming Grealish, Mings and McGinn go and hoping we can pick and choose ourselves with the rest, i would probably only look to sell El Ghazi and Taylor otherwise. Probably even bring Bree back in as understudy to Guilbert, but i'd be wanting to see new players in those 4 positions i mentioned plus a proven championship/PL striker to challenge Wesley and Samatta with Davies and Jota as back up. We should certainly have enough money anyway.

We will have to keep a fair few squad players. Trying to squeeze 46 games + cup into a small timeframe than this season is going to mean pretty much a game every midweek. No way you can do that with a smaller squad than what we've had this season, if anything we need 3-4 extra on top for rotation and when the inevitably injuries hit as happened in December.

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We seriously need to make a nickname for this guy...

I mean we could always call him Chuck, but not very creative.

Edited by villalad21

Heaton, Steer, Nyland

Guilbert, Bree, Konsa, Engels, Hause, AN Other (LCB), AN Other (LB), Targett

AN Other (RM), Elmo, Hourahane, Luiz, Nakamba, 2 x AN Other (CM), AN Other (LW), Trezeguet

Wesley, Samatta, AN Other (S), Davies, Jota

There's 25, maybe a few from the U23's if they're good enough and they're needed.

almost down now.

I still think we have the basis of a decent team.

I really think that if we reinvest the money we get for grealish wisely, whilst doing everything we can to keep our other players, we can come straight back up.

Although I know grealish will go, if we can keep the rest of the players, then add a DM, left winger and right winger as minimum, we will be in a very strong position for promotion next season.

• 1 month later...

Bump! Well worth reading from the start to give us all a little appreciation for the minor miracle the club pulled off, and where our minds were at just a few short months ago. It seemed so unlikely we'd be at the point we could even entertain the notion of Rashica, Watkins, Eduoard, etc. coming to our club. Savour it all over again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1