U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Kind of incredible that he never suffered any sort of electoral penalty for that. Probably the clearest demonstration of how polarised the country is; at the end of it all, Democrats were more convinced he was guilty, Republicans were more convinced he was innocent, and his approval rating barely moved an inch. Quite remarkable really.

Only 1 republican (mitt romney) voted for impeachment, even though privately most would realise that Trump was guilty.

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Only 1 republican (mitt romney) voted for impeachment, even though privately most would realise that Trump was guilty.

To be honest, that's one more Republican than there was Democrat voting for Clinton's impeachment (0 to both counts), though that one was less polarised, given that several Republicans *also* voted Not Guilty.

12 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A sign of those times really. You wouldn’t get that reaction these days, post ‘me too’ (or at least I hope not). 

I wouldn't bet on it; it's not like Democrats have spent much time focusing on Biden's habit of sniffing girls' hair, and (more seriously) Republicans have spent even less time focusing on the 20 or thereabouts credible sexual assault allegations against Trump. Partisan politics wins out over sexual morality at the end of the day. Kirsten Gillibrand was massively unpopular during the Democratic primary for forcing Al Franken to retire too.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A sign of those times really. You wouldn’t get that reaction these days, post ‘me too’ (or at least I hope not). 

What does #metoo have to do with it? Two consenting adults as far as I remember. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bickster said:

What does #metoo have to do with it? Two consenting adults as far as I remember. 

Actually, this is true isn't it? It was perjury Clinton was impeached for. (Of course I think he may have had plenty of #metoo stuff in the closet, but not what he was impeached for)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

There's probably an argument to be made that with Clinton being Monica Lewinski's boss it would have put her in situation where she felt she couldn't say no, especially as he was the President. However, as far as I'm aware, there has been no allegation along those lines and as you say, it was consensual. The only really shitty thing was the cheating element.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Actually, this is true isn't it? It was perjury Clinton was impeached for. (Of course I think he may have had plenty of #metoo stuff in the closet, but not what he was impeached for)

Yep, twas the lying to a Grand Jury 

Just now, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

There's probably an argument to be made that with Clinton being Monica Lewinski's boss it would have put her in situation where she felt she couldn't say no, especially as he was the President. However, as far as I'm aware, there has been no allegation along those lines and as you say, it was consensual. The only really shitty thing was the cheating element.

That clearly isn't an argument. Lewinski has been interviewed many times and not once has she ever hinted at that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, that's one more Republican than there was Democrat voting for Clinton's impeachment (0 to both counts), though that one was less polarised, given that several Republicans *also* voted Not Guilty.

I wouldn't bet on it; it's not like Democrats have spent much time focusing on Biden's habit of sniffing girls' hair, and (more seriously) Republicans have spent even less time focusing on the 20 or thereabouts credible sexual assault allegations against him. Partisan politics wins out over sexual morality at the end of the day. Kirsten Gillibrand was massively unpopular during the Democratic primary for forcing Al Franken to retire too.

Add Tara Reade to that who has been getting dogs abuse since she came out with her story, not least from Mrs. Me Too herself, Alyssa Milano.

Â