• Grealish
    • Samatta (Davis 57)
    • Nakamba (Hourihane 70)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 70)
    • Jota (McGinn 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/06/20 at 17:00

21 minutes ago, striker said:

Mate Smith has totally abandoned the style of play he was known for at Brentford. He has in affect bottled it. Over the last two games I feel you are seeing tactics heavily influenced by John Terry.

How do you explain Grealish being played out wide? That’s not forced on the manager. How do you explain McGinn being played as a DM? That’s not forced on the manager either. How do you explain hoof ball when the players Villa have aren’t suited to it.

You can see the players aren’t happy with the way in which they’ve been instructed to play. The possession stats were an embarrassment especially at home. 

Smith needs to go.

Pretty similar to Everton's at the moment?

What do you expect given the gulf in class between the sides?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s the gulf in quality Tro. It’s massive. I don’t buy they aren’t trying. They just aren’t good enough.  I’m looking at Newcastle, Palace, West Ham and Arsenal games we have a small chance of getting something out. But even then it’s a long shot. Wolves, Liverpool and Man U I don’t think we have a chance.

Not saying you are wrong.....but fight can make up some difference.....you cannot offer the space we do to this quality of team.....Jack looked like he was in a testimonial and he is supposed to be top quality.

Its not just quality, its much more than just that......every team will look quality, if you give them the space we do.

we are not mobile enough......they closed us down at every opportunity, with sharp bursts.in to us.....thats primarily work rate, and althleticism, not just quality.

i don't think this team is driven hard enough.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, striker said:

Mate Smith has totally abandoned the style of play he was known for at Brentford

Happens to every manager that comes here.

Can't handle the pressure. We need a high profile coach. Said it for ages now. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, striker said:

Mate Smith has totally abandoned the style of play he was known for at Brentford. He has in affect bottled it. Over the last two games I feel you are seeing tactics heavily influenced by John Terry.

How do you explain Grealish being played out wide? That’s not forced on the manager. How do you explain McGinn being played as a DM? That’s not forced on the manager either. How do you explain hoof ball when the players Villa have aren’t suited to it.

You can see the players aren’t happy with the way in which they’ve been instructed to play. The possession stats were an embarrassment especially at home. 

Smith needs to go.

• Grealish has had some good games out wide, its not the position, it was him playing poorly.
  • He hasn't got the players to play like he did at Brentford in this division, the opposition won't let you.
  • I didn't think McGinn did anything
  • You play hoof ball when you want to clear your lines or take a short cut to attack or trying to avoid pressure being applied.
  • I think we are seeing a team that has failed to keep the ball or get the ball all season and the confidence has drained out of us, inc the manager.
  • I don't think John Terry is influencing Dean Smiths play at all.
  • The possession stats are more than an embarrassment, its a reflection of the issues we have.
  • No team is going to be happy with losing.

Many of the things we are seeing are a result poor play......who's at fault, i would suspect many factors.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

Happens to every manager that comes here.

Can't handle the pressure. We need a high profile coach.

It happens to most of them, especially in the last 15 years or so.

Its a combination imo

We need a high profile coach, with the funds to dictate his own destiny.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You have openly said a team reflect it's manager and you are wondering who's at fault?

He is definately the central figure.....I still suspect other factors.

by the way, he said it......i was just quoting what he said.

I do agree with him though.

Edited by TRO

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not saying you are wrong.....but fight can make up some difference.....you cannot offer the space we do to this quality of team.....Jack looked like he was in a testimonial and he is supposed to be top quality.

Its not just quality, its much more than just that......every team will look quality, if you give them the space we do.

we are not mobile enough......they closed us down at every opportunity, with sharp bursts.in to us.....thats primarily work rate, and althleticism, not just quality.

i don't think this team is driven hard enough.

Come on Tro. You’ve played football in your life before surely? When you play against poorer players no matter how hard they try they can only stop you for so long. They huff and puff but can’t get near you. The same when you play against players much better than you.  I’ve played in games when I’ve collapsed I’ve ran so hard but not got near players that are much better than me. 

Obviously we aren’t professional players but it’s all relative.  They are trying. They are just up against some of the best in the world and it’s telling.

Sooner we understand this the sooner we’ll get over this ‘they don’t care’ perception we seem to have

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Pretty similar to Everton's at the moment?

What do you expect given the gulf in class between the sides?

People seem to forget how good teams like Chelsea are. They bought on a 50 million pound player at half time. They were able to bring on Tammy with 10 minutes to go.  Our fans need a reality check.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

People seem to forget how good teams like Chelsea are. They bought on a 50 million pound player at half time. They were able to bring on Tammy with 10 minutes to go.  Our fans need a reality check.

The only one that needs a reality check is you, I'm sick of the excuses and especially the one you offered. There are teams above us with squads worth less than ours. We have the worst defence in the league for crying out loud.

Shameful performance, shameful attitude and shameful tactics from a manager that is fast running out of ideas. Utterly amazed that we somehow went in at ht in front. Everything was passive, no movement, no quality, no desire. Literally the only saving grace is Bournemouth and West Ham look just as shit as we do.. That's it. Regardless of what happens, stay up or go down, this head coach is not good enough. Must go at the end of the season whatever happens 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The only one that needs a reality check is you, I'm sick of the excuses and especially the one you offered. There are teams above us with squads worth less than ours. We have the worst defence in the league for crying out loud.

Even Lambert managed to get some unexpected wins.

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

We could have had Rafa or Bielsa. :(

Apparently Rafa and Purslow have a bad relationship.

But if we could get Rafa i couldn't care less what happens with Purslow. He talks a good game but his decision making is shit.

• Like 1

Â