• Grealish
    • Samatta (Davis 57)
    • Nakamba (Hourihane 70)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 70)
    • Jota (McGinn 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/06/20 at 17:00

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

I'd bet we would, because we wouldn't set up to try and snatch a 1-0. He hasn't ever been a negative coach till now. 

Dean smith hasnt been negative? Not sure if your serious

1 minute ago, smg said:

If Grealish plays like that he won’t get a new club , total crap performance from him.

He's already got a new club. The only thing that'll stop that is him getting injured, which is why it took Rudiger going on in him to rile him - it risks his big move.

Dont know where to start.  Two minutes killed us.  How we kept them out the rest of the time was luck and good defending.  Why Giroud got so much space for his, the American dude for his goal at the far post wasnt even marked.  One-sided game but on the whole happy with the defensive performance which amounted to sticking everybody behind the ball and giving Chelsea 90% of the ball.  When we got the ball we just gave it back to them.

Luiz was my MOTM....he was ok but the rest of the midfield and attack were woeful.  Davis was woeful against big defenders thus offered nothing else because he has nothing else and was isolated.  Jack was non-existent for the second game on the trot (getting anywhere near 80m for that type of perfomance I would be snapping their hand off).  El Ghazi as usual has a youtube highlights match, looks good for 1 minute of clips but shocking otherwise.  McGinn looks like somebody whose been out for six months.  Forgot Conor was playing to be honest.  We were too exposed down our left flank, why we give players too much space I dont understand.  Why we dont have somebody on the edge of the box at corners because Chelsea were seeing that.

If we can defend like that apart from that 2 minutes we may get some points from upcoming games but our possession must be better, our energy and attacking needs to be better.

We got battered today despite the scoreline, we defended mostly well but Chelsea were a class above us.

We need Jack playing again, we cant leave Davis isolated up front.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, av1 said:

There were a few out there today that I'd be happy to never see in a Villa shirt again. 

El Ghazi being the first. 

Gutless, spinless performance. 

El Ghazi seems to get away with murder. He’s consistently shocking. An absolute turd of a footballer. 

But let me guess, ‘he has it in him’. He doesn’t, he’s shite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Smells of the Remi Garde side. Powder puff at best. The amount of space Alonso and Azpilicueta had was disgusting. That's down to bad management, picking a terribly unbalanced side. He's out of his depth. A mid-table championship manager who had a good run last season.

It's so cute you think the difference between having a 'mid-table championship manager' and any other is substantial when you have our squad. Just too funny. 

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

What did nyland do wrong?

constant hoof ball surrendering possession every time we had taken 15 mins to get the ball back, got nowhere near their goals and just doesn't inspire any confidence. He kicked several balls straight to their goal keeper. Maybe partly Dean's fault for telling him to keep kicking to nobody.

easy tactics against us mark Davies with three players, kick Grealish and attack down our left in numbers, pathetic and simple

This was the result I expected but I am not too happy with the fact that for all their dominance Chelsea were really quite rusty in front of goal and we actually took the lead but didn’t know how to hold on to it.

Does Smith tell his players as soon as they take the lead to back off and let the other side have plenty of chances of equalising? This pattern seems to happen over and over.

Anyway, a positive - Douglas Luiz had a very good game today. He may be getting into his stride and that may be important in the final knockings of the season.

I simply do not understand why Smith doesn't try playing Davis and Samatta together. At least give it a go to see if it works for 45 minutes?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Even winning at half time, I knew we'd lose. 

I think we all did.....our play is so poor, you can't win games playing like that. We don't get anywhere near close enough to an opponent.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

He's already got a new club. The only thing that'll stop that is him getting injured, which is why it took Rudiger going on in him to rile him - it risks his big move.

New captain needed then.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Dean smith hasnt been negative? Not sure if your serious

In Championship with us and Brentford. With Walsall. It's now. Bottled it. 

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The problem with this is that there are plenty of matches we've had the better possession, but done little with it. 

Our players aren't any better. Not on Deano. 

It's just pedestrian shite.  At least get Jack involved.  Maybe play two up front.

Possession is one thing, but it's all just so crap.  Just like it was under Smith last season while Jack was injured.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

Blah... champo here we come. Tough to be too bothered by it, which says it all really!

Might as well give Terry a shot at this stage.

Our defence has been shocking all season, surely he's been part of that given his past.  Yes, Smith's team and we have other coaches but surely Terry has been working on the defence and that defence has been poor.  I'm not convinced Terry is the right person.

Trezeguet for El Ghazi in the next game please.

Actually just bin him altogether please really don’t want to see him playing for us again.

Hourihane absolutely anonymous again but I got stick for saying that on Wednesday... Luiz was good in fairness and Ming’s and Hausw were solid.

Our undoing in every game is simply that our midfield is absolutely terrible and we have a manager who has no idea what he’s doing.

Christ, as if life isn't hard enough without being a Villa fan.

Hate to sound like everyone else, but when Konsa scored I didn't celebrate, as it seemed inevitable that we'd end up with the usual sinking feeling. Quite literally now. Think that's probably it.

• Like 2

Sums Villa up this year. Spells of good disciplined defensive play, before going in front unexpectedly and then failing to capitalise on the advantage after being outplayed by quicker, stronger, more inventive opponents. We are basically just not good enough and at no stage have we looked like we deserve to be in this League. In a word, we are weak. At least we should win some games in the Championship next year. Spud is going to do is on Wednesday as well, you just know it.

• Like 1

The result i expected. The only thing I can say as a tiny piece of comfort was at least the goal difference didn't get a kicking. 

"based on what? Our players have looked awful most of the year. They lack the physical requirements and technical ability to succeed at this level."  DCJonah you replied with that to a comment I made i was unable to reply to in the match thread. 

Technical ability can be improved on the training field. I have seen enough instances of our players having ok technical abilities. Our problem is off the ball.

Physically we have not improved.  What has our management team got in place for this.? Its on Smith's head. Today the obvious change was Hourihane or Mcginn off move Grealish inside and Samatta outside to at least pressure their full back. Samatta is a very intelligent player who knows how to do a job.

There have been instances where our off the ball work has improved but we do it for one or two games and revert to the passive ball watching hoofball that we have endured all season.

That's on Smith.

It's like when the players ignore smith's tactics and whatever it is he is trying to implement they suddenly improve their game.

Â