• Grealish
    • Samatta (Davis 57)
    • Nakamba (Hourihane 70)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 70)
    • Jota (McGinn 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/06/20 at 17:00

18 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

It's pretty straight forward, isn't it?

Watch Liverpool. Watch Man City. Heck - watch Watford. They get in your face and if you get past they foul you.

It's cynical. It's slowing the game down. It's Premier League.

We are simply not at their level. Boys vs Men, really

Its been my bone of contention for sometime now......our situation does not surprise me one iota.

we are doing the same every match.

yes Dean, you are right......."the team mirrors the manager"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

Something behind the scenes is not right ......John Terry's expression tells a story on its own.

This team just doesn't compete.....and I too don't see him recovering this situation.

This is how I see it also.  Something is dreadfully wrong,  there is a disconnect between the team and management it seems.  (Maybe tactics)

Terry knows his football and I think he realised yesterday how far away we are,  IMO we would struggle in the Championship playing like yesterday.  We hardly get a touch of the ball,  no drive or momentum.

We are never playing 4-3-3 either.  On grass it's 4-5-1 all day long from what I see,  Drogba would struggle in this Villa team,  let alone a youngster on his own against 4 international players.  We have a couple of Prem class players but you can get them all in a mini.

I wouldn't be surprised if they (Smith / Terry) are on a win the next game or out.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

John Terry's expression tells a story on its own.

Did you see him not celebrating when we scored?

If he cares more about Chelsea than he cares about us that's a sackable offence. Get the f*** out

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If he cares more about Chelsea than he cares about us that's a sackable offence. Get the f*** out

Yes thats clearly it he wanted Chelsea to win so his current team can move toward relegation leaving him either out of a job or working for a championship club ..ffs get a grip 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

This is how I see it also.  Something is dreadfully wrong,  there is a disconnect between the team and management it seems.  (Maybe tactics)

Terry knows his football and I think he realised yesterday how far away we are,  IMO we would struggle in the Championship playing like yesterday.  We hardly get a touch of the ball,  no drive or momentum.

We are never playing 4-3-3 either.  On grass it's 4-5-1 all day long from what I see,  Drogba would struggle in this Villa team,  let alone a youngster on his own against 4 international players.  We have a couple of Prem class players but you can get them all in a mini.

I wouldn't be surprised if they (Smith / Terry) are on a win the next game or out.

Nothing is happening with them now before the end of the season.  I just don’t see the owners doing that.  It was either going to happen before now or not until the end of the season. 

If you are going to sit deep and defend without any ambition to have the ball then you need to have outlets once you win the ball and punt it up field.

We only had Davis who was completely isolated and was playing with his back against the goal. Our wide players are not suited to chasing down clearances and were sitting too deep anyway. Say he wins the header, then what?

This was one of the most half arsed attempts at the park the bus tactic I've seen. We didn't even do the basics. Chelsea had us in their pocket all game and read us like a book exploiting the areas they wanted time and time again.

Our squad is bottom half quality for sure, but the number of games that Smith has been outsmarted by opposing managers or failed to adjust when managers have made changes is far to many this season.

He did a lovely job getting us promoted, but I don't think he is a PL material manager, at least not yet. 

We lack leadership on and off the pitch. Smith needed a more experienced backroom, Mings needed a more experienced CB partner and our whole team would have benefited so much by a elder calmer head like Leicester or Wolves brought in in Cambiasso and Moutinho. (Yes I know not an easy thing to find)

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TRO said:

Its been on the cards for some time.....and the things that irk me the most, have been in evidence all season.

It seems like it needs a new approach.

Ps John Terry's face looked like thunder, totally expressionless and half hearted applause when we scored.......I smell a rat here, something is a foot IMO

John  Terry lack of reaction to our goal sums up the whole team.

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on Tro. You’ve played football in your life before surely? When you play against poorer players no matter how hard they try they can only stop you for so long. They huff and puff but can’t get near you. The same when you play against players much better than you.  I’ve played in games when I’ve collapsed I’ve ran so hard but not got near players that are much better than me. 

Obviously we aren’t professional players but it’s all relative.  They are trying. They are just up against some of the best in the world and it’s telling.

Sooner we understand this the sooner we’ll get over this ‘they don’t care’ perception we seem to have

I disagree.  I'd call your attention to the Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd games where we more than held our own.  The players are capable if they apply themselves.

For me the failure is on the manager.  He has consistently failed to get the most out of this group of players, and seems to have no motivational ability at all.

I do also question our coaching staff.  Our players have never been as fit as the opposition all through the season.  What are we doing 8n training?

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

John  Terry lack of reaction to our goal sums up the whole team.

I've been saying this for a while now.  He also jumped out his seat for chelseas 2nd with a big grin on his face.

Reckon he will be Lampards no 2 next season

24 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I've been saying this for a while now.  He also jumped out his seat for chelseas 2nd with a big grin on his face.

Reckon he will be Lampards no 2 next season

Did he, he should be sacked on the spot. 

Do the people criticising Terry’s reaction to our goal think the same when Man City score and Pep shows no reaction? 

In spite of this... he’s a Chelsea fan, if I was working for another club and they scored against Villa I don’t think I would celebrate wildly - see players not celebrating against their former team. Think the people moaning about this are just looking for something to moan about due to frustration at a poor performance.

I think with the Terry thing it just seems a bit strong?

We know Chelsea is his first love but surely if you are working day in day out with a group of players and coaching them you would be pleased to see them score even if it was against your favorite club? You would also be somewhat dismayed if they went a goal down meaning another zero points in a relegation scrap surely?

There must be a kind of "human bond" developed from the daily work and efforts put in working with the players on a personal level. It just smacks of a complete lack of concern at how the club he works for and which pays his handsome wages is doing which i personally find odd. Yes once the games over he may well be pleased for Chelsea in their top 4 push alongside the personal disappointment that his current team failed, but to display this during the game on camera when all of the Villa fan base is watching on TV due to being unable to attend the stadium, is crossing the line surely?

I know Villa are a funny egg with regards to who they employ (he says having temporarily worked at Bodymoor Heath which was effectively being run by Bluenoses) but even so.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Nothing is happening with them now before the end of the season.  I just don’t see the owners doing that.  It was either going to happen before now or not until the end of the season. 

I agree. It would be difficult for any manager to make a difference with only eight games left.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I agree. It would be difficult for any manager to make a difference with only eight games left.

Teams have been saved by managerial changes at this stage before.

I really think Poch or Benitez could have a huge impact.  Enough? Who knows!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Teams have been saved by managerial changes at this stage before.

I really think Poch or Benitez could have a huge impact.  Enough? Who knows!

I agree with Benitez as he would stress defence but wether he could implement a system in such a short time is debatable. It would depend on if the team are prepared to buy in. For me i would give fat Sam a million for the last eight games & a million bonus for survival.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

he did clap our goal, even if it was half hearted.....He looked like he had the world on  his shoulders or knows something others don't.

We have to remember, he is a coach, not a manager.....its not his team, in the sense the responsibility rests with him, if it was, I would suggest you would see a different response.....He looks frustrated and disbelieving of whats going on. i am not trying to make excuses for him, but something is amiss imo.

If he has done what is being claimed and applauded their second goal, then that is crossing the line and putting in jeopardy any team spirit we are trying to muster.....he has clearly marked his own card.....If its true and I was Dean Smith, I would refuse to work with him.....Dean has to grow some......if of course, its true.

Edited by TRO

30 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I agree with Benitez as he would stress defence but wether he could implement a system in such a short time is debatable. It would depend on if the team are prepared to buy in. For me i would give fat Sam a million for the last eight games & a million bonus for survival.

good ,bad or indifferent.....i think we are going with what we have.

I have no idea, what the club are thinking or their intentions, based on the 2 scenarios....staying up or going down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

good ,bad or indifferent.....i think we are going with what we have.

I have no idea, what the club are thinking or their intentions, based on the 2 scenarios....staying up or going down.

It kinda surprises me to be honest ! Relegation is a huge setback for the club in my mind and i would have thought that anything was worth trying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

If I was an owner, watching the last game, where we were completely out pointed ( sorry for the boxing terms) and then getting a knock down, but allowing them to get back up and knock us down twice......I would be having serious conotations or what kind of fighter, i had.

Â