• Grealish
    • Samatta (Davis 57)
    • Nakamba (Hourihane 70)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 70)
    • Jota (McGinn 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/06/20 at 17:00

21 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Where's the fight? Where's the urgency? Are they happy just to move on at the end of the season while the club rebuilds again?

At least put in a challenge - was there one strong tackle from a Villa player today?

They just miles ahead of us. We couldn’t even get close to Willian. Was painful to watch. 

To be fair that was pretty abysmal. No fight, no bottle, no tactics, we made it very easy for them. We defended 'ok' for long periods but the problem we have is that we defend so deep that we just couldn't get out. At all. It was embarrassing at times. And whilst a lot of the play was in front of us, there was only ever really going to be one winner, even when we were 1-0 up. 

I can take defeats, I mean, we're all used to them by now but the manner of this one was painful to watch. 

Let's be truthful though, not one of our players gets in their starting eleven. Possibly Jack. But not on days like today. So it was never going to be easy, but I think Dean was hoping off the back of a clean sheet to sit in more and not get cut apart which I can see why, but ultimately when it doesn't go to plan he has to take full responsibility.

McGinn looks knackered and we need him big time to get back to something like his best or we will be playing Championship football next season for sure. 

Only Luiz really came out of that with any real degree of praise. He played well. The problem is we need eleven players on form not one. 

I think we need to take a look at finishing the season with another formation. Even if it leaves us a little open. Just go out and play and try outscore our opponent.

Either 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond. Get Jack central and get him on the ball. Samatta and Davis up top. I'm not even bothered if we just play long balls, it's got to a stage where we just need to win football matches and at the moment we don't look like we even believe we can. 

UTV 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think without the crowd we’re relegated. There is just no quality. 

Who in the holte end can play ,then?

Edited by TRO

Very poor

Why can other teams pressure us when we have the ball in defence but we can’t do the same to them .Why does it look like we have no midfield or attack.Why are we so shit at throw ins.Not sure Grealish is right man to be Captain,some of the on field decisions today at free kicks and corners were really poor.Why were Clelsea allowed to keep crossing balls in from the left.

Only small positives Luiz looking like a good midfielder,Hause and :Mings generally looking solid .

Very big game on Wednesday,maybe Newcastle will be on the beach after there win today.?

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They just miles ahead of us. We couldn’t even get close to Willian. Was painful to watch. 

We couldn't get close to any of them.

we are stand off experts.

If we lose at Newcastle, we need to go 4-4-2 with Davis and Sammatta up top with Grealish, McGinn and Tres backing them up and Luiz staying deep. Get the ball forward quickly and get that midfield running on to the knockdowns. May not be pure football but it makes the most of the assets we do have and would do damage to many teams we are up against.

We may have to win games 3-2 or even 4-3 but I'd rather do that than wimp out of the league by losing 0-1 despite "spirited" efforts. Beat Newcastle and we stay with where we are at ..... if we don't, unleash the kitchen sinks and fight it out with passion and determination !

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

Very poor

Why can other teams pressure us when we have the ball in defence but we can’t do the same to them .Why does it look like we have no midfield or attack.Why are we so shit at throw ins.Not sure Grealish is right man to be Captain,some of the on field decisions today at free kicks and corners were really poor.Why were Clelsea allowed to keep crossing balls in from the left.

Only small positives Luiz looking like a good midfielder,Hause and :Mings generally looking solid .

Very big game on Wednesday,maybe Newcastle will be on the beach after there win today.?

There are definately more questions than answers.....this is only going to end one way.

A team built to pass and move were given Steve Bruce tactics today.

Smith has totally bottled the style of football he was employed at the Villa for.

Grealish playing wide was a total waste before Covid and to persevere with that beggars belief.

For the second game in succession I haven’t been able to vote on MOTM as nobody really stood out for the Villa.

Going down unless something changes quickly!

• Like 1

Same old , same old....usual enormous gap between midfield and '( one player ) attack. We were beaten by a far better side today. Here's one for you statisticians....if we get relegated, will Smiths £150 million season spend be a record of money spent for a team relegated?

Regards,

VLD.

4 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

Very poor

We will probably get caught up in a deck chair...such is the "frank spencer" way we play.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, striker said:

A team built to pass and move were given Steve Bruce tactics today.

Smith has totally bottled the style of football he was employed at the Villa for.

Grealish playing wide was a total waste before Covid and to persevere with that beggars belief.

For the second game in succession I haven’t been able to vote on MOTM as nobody really stood out for the Villa.

Going down unless something changes quickly!

• When you can't get close to an opponent to cause him grief.
  • when you lose almost every aerial duel in midfield
  • when you can't keep the ball for any length of time.
  • when you lose out most times in 50/50 challenges

its not surprising we end up, with the tactics we do.....its not designed, its forced on us through poor play.

We can't pass, because as soon as we get the ball, we are relieved of it, we can't get any momentum.

when they get the ball we stand off and applaud or we might as well.

this is a deep problem and if my memory serves me right, when i have seen it before....it don't end well.

Edited by TRO

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

We couldn't get close to any of them.

we are stand off experts.

That’s the gulf in quality Tro. It’s massive. I don’t buy they aren’t trying. They just aren’t good enough.  I’m looking at Newcastle, Palace, West Ham and Arsenal games we have a small chance of getting something out. But even then it’s a long shot. Wolves, Liverpool and Man U I don’t think we have a chance.

28 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

To be fair that was pretty abysmal. No fight, no bottle, no tactics, we made it very easy for them. We defended 'ok' for long periods but the problem we have is that we defend so deep that we just couldn't get out. At all. It was embarrassing at times. And whilst a lot of the play was in front of us, there was only ever really going to be one winner, even when we were 1-0 up. 

I can take defeats, I mean, we're all used to them by now but the manner of this one was painful to watch. 

Let's be truthful though, not one of our players gets in their starting eleven. Possibly Jack. But not on days like today. So it was never going to be easy, but I think Dean was hoping off the back of a clean sheet to sit in more and not get cut apart which I can see why, but ultimately when it doesn't go to plan he has to take full responsibility.

McGinn looks knackered and we need him big time to get back to something like his best or we will be playing Championship football next season for sure. 

Only Luiz really came out of that with any real degree of praise. He played well. The problem is we need eleven players on form not one. 

I think we need to take a look at finishing the season with another formation. Even if it leaves us a little open. Just go out and play and try outscore our opponent.

Either 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 diamond. Get Jack central and get him on the ball. Samatta and Davis up top. I'm not even bothered if we just play long balls, it's got to a stage where we just need to win football matches and at the moment we don't look like we even believe we can. 

UTV 

One thing is for sure, and that’s that neither ElGgazi or Trezeguet is going to supply the bullets to keep us up. They have failed time after time in the Premier League this season, they aren’t the answer in a 4-3-3. ElGhazi has started both games in this restart and offered next to nothing. Different set ups for differing teams should be the plan, but we hardly ever see that. Dean doesn’t seem able to adapt to different situations. 

• Like 1

I did wonder why Tammy was left on the bench.

Then I discovered Giroud had scored in six consecutive games against us. No surprises he made it **** seven.

That's good management!

21 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • When you can't get close to an opponent to cause him grief.
  • when you lose almost every aerial duel in midfield
  • when you can't keep the ball for any length of time.
  • when you lose out most times in 50/50 challenges

its not surprising we end up, with the tactics we do.....its not designed, its forced on us through poor play.

We can't pass, because as soon as we get the ball, we are relieved of it, we can't get any momentum.

when they get the ball we stand off and applaud or we might as well.

this is a deep problem and if my memory serves me right, when i have seen it before....it don't end well.

Mate Smith has totally abandoned the style of play he was known for at Brentford. He has in affect bottled it. Over the last two games I feel you are seeing tactics heavily influenced by John Terry.

How do you explain Grealish being played out wide? That’s not forced on the manager. How do you explain McGinn being played as a DM? That’s not forced on the manager either. How do you explain hoof ball when the players Villa have aren’t suited to it.

You can see the players aren’t happy with the way in which they’ve been instructed to play. The possession stats were an embarrassment especially at home. 

Smith needs to go.

Edited by striker

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s the gulf in quality Tro. It’s massive. I don’t buy they aren’t trying. They just aren’t good enough.  I’m looking at Newcastle, Palace, West Ham and Arsenal games we have a small chance of getting something out. But even then it’s a long shot. Wolves, Liverpool and Man U I don’t think we have a chance.

On the evidence of today we can absolutely write off the games against Man Utd & Liverpool, they’ll be damage limitation games. And if we refuse to alter our set up against the like of Arsenal and Wolves then we can write those off as well. We have to start adapting to the opposition, before and during games. Newcastle to me look a one man team, Saint-Maximin. Should be straightforward to counter. 

16 minutes ago, striker said:

The possession stats were an embarrassment especially at home. 

Was talking to a mate during the game and he said "can you imagine the reaction if we had those possession stats with Bruce in charge?". 

Smith's allegiance gets him a really, really easy ride. 

that was bloody horrible - AGAIN! Why did they have to start the Premiership again? 

I'm tempted to ask if I could have a Villa sabbatical or if there is some football furlough scheme I could join?

Â