Aaron Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Standout? he played 11 times. 

His assists and goals are good. But i think 10m is a  tempting price for a promising youth player that may never make an appearance. Not brilliant, just tempting.

We got double that for Chukwuemeka I'm not sure that's anywhere near enough. I wouldn't sell him anyway!

The idea that we can just sell him and then buy him back in a couple of years is flawed for several reasons. Firstly it would probably cost the club twice as much. Secondly he might not even want to come back if the club discard him now. There's also the possibility that he becomes a top player and Man City, United etc come knocking and we can't even tempt him back. Give the lad a fair new contract and either find him a good loan move or make sure he's assured minutes this season.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

They do? I must have imagined Foden playing for City, Rashford playing for United and Saka playing for Arsenal.  

Top clubs sell the ones that aren't going to be good enough for them, not the ones that are.

You named the best academy grad of the last 5 years for each club. Of course you wouldn't sell a prospect of that quality. For us, that would be Jacob Ramsey who is currently in the first team squad.

Aaron is not a teir 1 prospect like Phil or Jacob. At the age of 19 Jacob already had 22 PL appearances. Age 20 he logged 2500 minutes at the PL level. 

Aaron, age 20, has zero PL career minutes. He needs playing time, and alot of it, at the PL level. If we can't give it to him or find a loan at the PL level then it may be prudent to sell while he is at peak value. Otherwise his development could stagnante, like so many prospects before him, and we end up having to release on a free or sell for a far more depressed value. 

I think Aaron Ramsey is still a season away from really being considered ready for the first team.

He had a really useful spell in the championship last season but it was very disrupted with injury and switching clubs. 21 starts across the 2 loans is certainly valuable experience but really he needs a full season of being a mainstay in a side to really prove himself. If he repeated his Boro form across a whole season I think it forces people sit up and take note, when it’s just a handful of games in a side already flying high it’s not quite the same.

I hope we don’t sell him as he has real promise and it’s a great story with him being a local lad. Other clubs are sniffing around for a reason, because they see he’s a talent. But it could be hard to turn down the cash for a player not in our immediate plans and for the player it could be a good move

He looked a bit lost in his cameo against Newcastle a week or so ago although the game had lost any kind of pattern or structure by then, I don’t think he’s ready for any serious time in the first team but his potential is significant still, no way we’re letting him go anywhere permanently without putting up a fight and I don’t see him wanting to leave, why would he (particularly for someone like Burnley)?

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

We really must move on from this selling mentality. We can now afford to keep players to see how good, or otherwise, they are.

We don't need to sell off our better prospects to make ends meet.

that is until FFP kicks in. I (and everyone else) don't want to be selling our best & brightest academy prospects & players every year, but we have to compare us with the likes of Man City/Liverpool/Chelsea. Each year they have a couple academy prospects/players whom they sell and that significantly increases their FFP headroom with potential signings. This is the landscape of football that we are in. Why is our academy strategy to sign a whole load of promising teenagers when it's more than likely that they will not amount to a PL level player? Return on investment. 

and as @turvontoursaid, we haven't really been a selling club for a while. In the last decade, we've sold 4 players for over 15m Benteke, Chuk, Grealish, Targett). that's absolutely dreadful compared to others. Chelsea have sold 7 players this window for more than 15m, Brighton, Man City & Liverpool have all sold 4 players over 15m in the last year. We have started to change a bit (with Ings, Chuk & Targett) but it is something we have to get used to. 

All that being said, I think 10m for A Ramsey is ridiculous. I would expect closer to 25m ish for him considering the market. I'd much rather keep him around & loan him in Jan if he is desperate for playing time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

You named the best academy grad of the last 5 years for each club. Of course you wouldn't sell a prospect of that quality. For us, that would be Jacob Ramsey who is currently in the first team squad.

Aaron is not a teir 1 prospect like Phil or Jacob. At the age of 19 Jacob already had 22 PL appearances. Age 20 he logged 2500 minutes at the PL level. 

Aaron, age 20, has zero PL career minutes. He needs playing time, and alot of it, at the PL level. If we can't give it to him or find a loan at the PL level then it may be prudent to sell while he is at peak value. Otherwise his development could stagnante, like so many prospects before him, and we end up having to release on a free or sell for a far more depressed value. 

Aaron is supposedly a bigger talent than his brother. The difference between the 2 is that Aaron has been unable to stay fit on his loans. 

• Like 2

We'We shouldn't even 'consider' selling Aaron for less than the. 20m we got for Chuck. Wou.ld like to see him have a year on loan at Southampton learning his trade playing alongside JWP

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree too... but don't under estimate the Championship, its an arduous league too....and some really good players have " cut their teeth" there, like Grealish, Bellingham,Toney, Watkins and Benrama.

Its like an emerging Film Star....they need the break.

I was really referring to selling into the Premier League rather than Championship as they have a distorted sense of value owing to the division being awash with more money than any league. I would suggest the best way of that is having players with PL experience, but I accept that the Championship is a terrific proving ground and stepping stone to the PL.

I think another loan to a top level championship club or lower premiership league club (like Burnley) would be ideal so we can see if he can consistently deliver over a full season.

If he can, great. We either have an asset that could be worth £25m next year or a player we can integrate into our squad. If his performances are a bit sporadic and he has injuries again, I still think we'd fetch around the £10m that's being quoted now. 

I don't have a problem with the club selling academy players (and for FFP I think it's going to be vital moving forwards) but I think he's someone we need a little more patience with

8 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

£10million plus 40% future sell on fee then I’d maybe listen not every youth player is going to break through into the squad. 

It's this type of deal that if he wants to go I would consider.

I don't think he does want to go, he watched his brother playing while Coutinho warms the bench (mostly because his injured....... but not always) and has a clear career path with us through to the first team.

Whenever I have seen him in a settled team he has been a standout player, if I had to gamble in one player making it from a home grown players then it's him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, thunderball said:

I was really referring to selling into the Premier League rather than Championship as they have a distorted sense of value owing to the division being awash with more money than any league. I would suggest the best way of that is having players with PL experience, but I accept that the Championship is a terrific proving ground and stepping stone to the PL.

sorry, I was referring to young players on loan there, and still getting doubted.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm kinda fine with that. £12m + addons with a nice buyback clause for a player who, seeing from Villa willing to enter negotiations/sell, doesn't really have a pathway into the team at the moment.

Regardless of what happens, this further reinforces how incredibly well the academy is being run: you've got the likes of the two Ramseys, Chukwuemeka, Philogene, Archer all valued at the £10m+ bracket. When you have academy players of that calibre it's kind of a win-win no matter happens with them: they're either integrated into the team (J. Ramsey, Philogene, Archer) or sold for pure FFP profit (Chukwuemeka, A.Ramsey?).

• Like 2

Â