Historic Kits

mottaloo

This was probably the closest thread i could think to put this in.

The iconic, if short lived yellow shirt of the early 90s.....love the way the badge is imposed on the shirt at a angle.....but.... I've only just noticed that the lion is still upright and not rotated to the left in line with the lettering....and it's bugging me !

Screenshot_20200423-180520_Twitter.jpg

27 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

The iconic, if short lived yellow shirt of the early 90s.....love the way the badge is imposed on the shirt at a angle.....but.... I've only just noticed that the lion is still upright and not rotated to the left in line with the lettering....and it's bugging me !

Tilt your phone sideways, you’ll see why! 

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

There is currently 3 old Villa kits on sale at the Swedish version of Ebay called Tradera.com Sadly they are all too big for me.

Fotbollströja Replica Aston VillaMatchtröja fotboll replica Aston VillaMatchtröja fotboll replica Aston Villa

So far the auction is only up to about £9 each

Edit: I am not the seller :)

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

There is currently 3 old Villa kits on sale at the Swedish version of Ebay called Tradera.com Sadly they are all too big for me.

Fotbollströja Replica Aston VillaMatchtröja fotboll replica Aston VillaMatchtröja fotboll replica Aston Villa

So far the auction is only up to about £9 each

That yellow shirt with the crestless blue lion is just begging to have an updated version be our away/third kit soon.

• Like 2

On 23/04/2020 at 18:10, mottaloo said:

I think I am right in saying this was our first ever third kit? I don't think the concept had been invented before then.  

Wasn't it meant to be reminiscent of a Brazil shirt? 

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think I am right in saying this was our first ever third kit? I don't think the concept had been invented before then.  

Wasn't it meant to be reminiscent of a Brazil shirt? 

you could be right about the third kit.......then again,  i think le coq sportif made a white shirt for us (not the one with the gold and claret hoops) during our shortlived european campaign the season after we won the EC.....that might've been a one off too.

The yellow umbro one was paired with blue shorts and i think was worn at anfield & the local press anyway bigged up the samba beat element of it.

Think we lost though !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

you could be right about the third kit.......then again,  i think le coq sportif made a white shirt for us (not the one with the gold and claret hoops) during our shortlived european campaign the season after we won the EC.....that might've been a one off too.

The yellow umbro one was paired with blue shorts and i think was worn at anfield & the local press anyway bigged up the samba beat element of it.

Think we lost though !

I've not liked many of the yellow kits we have released since then tbf. 

(Not Inc. GK shirts*)

On 23/04/2020 at 18:10, mottaloo said:

On 20/02/2020 at 11:42, imavillan said:

Lots of interesting stuff on this website. Well worth a look. It lists every Villa home and away kit throughout our history.

Home kits link below

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Aston_Villa/Aston_Villa.htm

Away kits link below

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Aston_Villa/Aston_Villa-change-kits.html

credit @Kuwabatake Sanjuro from a previous post. 

Home kits

Our first kit - 1874 - 1877

spacer.png

First one with the rampant Lion on - 1878 - 1879

spacer.png

First Claret kit - 1880 - 1882

spacer.png

Fist Claret & Blue kit - 1887 - 1890

spacer.png

The team's first colours were described as "scarlet and royal blue stripes" (i.e. hoops - vertical stripes did not appear until the 1880s). The following season they wore black and white tops and in 1878 they purchased a set of black shirts emblazoned with the Scottish lion rampant. William McGregor actually went to Scotland to purchase the lion motifs and they were subsequently sewn on by the sister of the club secretary (ref: The Aston Villa Chronicles). The following season jerseys replaced the original shirts but the lion motif faded badly in the laundry. Charles S Johnstone, an influential player, interviewed late in life said, "Our lion had no chance with the washing lady! He became pale and anaemic so Mac (William McGregor) was deputed to send to Scotland for thirteen lions on shields proper, which could be attached and detached at will....When they were duly attached you could hardly see the man for the lion - we were each as self-conscious as a bride in a wedding dress. We went on the field but the gorgeous lion got us down. We had a most awful whacking and the lion was relegated to the club notepaper and flags."

Away / Change kits

1874 - 1888 Unknown

1888 - 1899 needs corroboration

spacer.png

1905 - 1906

spacer.png

In their early years Villa changed their colours frequently, with the old sets being passed on to the 2nd and 3rd XIs so it is possible that when colours clashed the team would play in their older shirts.

From 1892 the Football League required home teams to keep a set of white shirts for use in the event of a colour clash. At the turn of the century light blue jerseys were used with a distinctive claret band at the neck, similar to Villa's regular first choice tops of the period.

During the 20s and 30s, Villa's white change shirts were enlivened with claret and blue collars similar to those worn on their first choice tops and even a pair of horizontal bands. Like the first choice jerseys, these were made of ribbed wool with large collars of an unusual design. Originally these were laced at the neck with rather fetching tassles but these were usually discarded and the neckline became stretched out of shape.

Historical kits feature in a thread called VillaTalk Aston Villa History thread

Edited by imavillan
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Think we lost though !

I believe you are correct it was the FA Cup quarter-final at Anfield, Mass Villa balloon turnout

• Like 2

Villa continued to wear white until December 1956 but from time to time when playing in the FA Cup they would borrow a set of shirts from Birmingham City (who occasionally turned out in Villa's claret and blue). Under the rules of the FA Cup at the time, both teams were required to change when colours clashed: if their change shirts also clashed one or both teams would borrow a set from another club. Villa played in blue shirts against Rotherham in February 1953 while Birmingham played in claret and blue against Chelsea on the same day. The last time that Villa borrowed a set of City's strips was in the Sixth Round against Burnley in 1957 when they wore Birmingham's red and white change strip in the replay.

Sacrilege :puke: 

Don't press here if you have a weak stomach

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I've not liked many of the yellow kits we have released since then tbf. 

(Not Inc. GK shirts*)

I liked the one from 03/04 think it helped we were super shit away the season before 

I actually liked the Diadora kits from that time

I really liked that third shirt on the right (Ian Ross wearing it below). Painful memories of that 0-1 FA Cup Q/F defeat in 1992. We were the better side on the day at Anfield and I wasn't a happy bunny at full time. Those Brazilian shirts (second photograph) proved to be very unlucky. :(  

Profile Ian Ross Aston Villa Villa Legends

1 hour ago, John said:

I really liked that third shirt on the right (Ian Ross wearing it below). Painful memories of that 0-1 FA Cup Q/F defeat in 1992. We were the better side on the day at Anfield and I wasn't a happy bunny at full time. Those Brazilian shirts (second photograph) proved to be very unlucky. :(  

Profile Ian Ross Aston Villa Villa Legends

Here's a story about Ian Ross...

I went to school with his son at primary and secondary levels, Ian was managing over in Iceland, during the close-season there he came back and spent a little time managing our school football team. He was brilliant, a real gent and training was so much fun, he made us better within just a few sessions!

True story.

• Thanks 1

There's an unreleased white Under Armour third top on ebay at the moment for £500. I remember photos of it leaking online and there being a positive reaction, which led to Luke Organ saying that they were thinking of releasing it for sale, but that never happened.

Â