Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

not a single clean sheet away from home all season.....

absolute damming stat and in part the reason we are where we are.

unfortunately i can see that continuing tonight so i think we will need to score two to win

• Like 2

Reina
Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Targett
           Luiz - Nakamba - Drinkwater
      El Ghazi - Samagoal - Grealish

Leicester aren't exactly in great form so it wouldn't surprise me if they turn us over because that's Villa. It's crunch time now, these players need to step up. I'd take a point tonight. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We don’t know how it works, but I suspect Purslow and Suso are as much to blame as Smith for any imbalance in the squad.

In truth, no we don't.

fair comment.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't know if we'd be balanced enough with both, but can see Davis and Samatta causing an absolute load of problems together.

Its not that we won't be balanced, well it kind of is really.....the midfield is not good enough, so we have to load it and deny 2 up front.

Dean can't trust, his midfield and I don't blame him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think we all would. We're not suddenly going to play to the Charles Hughes manual, but cutting out playing from defense  when a good old fashioned clearance would be safer,then I'm definitely all for that.

Survival at any cost ,that is the new mantra. 

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Seige Mentality Tonight......no short strides, straight in to every tackle, Let them know we are there.

Edited by TRO

42 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If you want to go 2 up top we'd need a narrow 4 in the middle and get width from the full backs.

Reina

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

Drinkwater Luiz Nakamba

Grealish

Samatta Davis

Can't see a drastic change in shape though unless they've been working on something new since the final.

I respect your opinion, but for me the absolute LAST thing that we need is an immobile midfielder that’s about 100 yards off the pace.  

I think the penny has finally dropped about his fitness, and barring some bizarre twist, we won’t be seeing him again this season.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, imavillan said:

not a single clean sheet away from home all season.....

absolute damming stat and in part the reason we are where we are.

unfortunately i can see that continuing tonight so i think we will need to score two to win

Its quite amazing to me....how I still see some fans arguing against it, as some kind of inevitable trade off.

15 minutes ago, Thug said:

I respect your opinion, but for me the absolute LAST thing that we need is an immobile midfielder that’s about 100 yards off the pace.  

I think the penny has finally dropped about his fitness, and barring some bizarre twist, we won’t be seeing him again this season.

I thought he was showing signs of getting fitter, but I agree it's too much of a risk to start him - would like to see him prove it off the bench maybe. I genuinely hope he's okay, because if he could regain fitness + sharpness he would be a very useful option in the run-in.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I thought he was showing signs of getting fitter, but I agree it's too much of a risk to start him - would like to see him prove it off the bench maybe. I genuinely hope he's okay, because if he could regain fitness + sharpness he would be a very useful option in the run-in.

The last home game, I thought so too.....The motivation of playing against the club, he showed good form with, might be an omen.

just clutching at straws.

Vardy hasn't scored in 11 hours of football and iheanacho always scores against Villa.

I just can't see where the results Villa need are coming from.

I'd possibly go with the set up that got the 1-1 draw in the first leg of the cup match.  We played well apart from the usual gift from luiz.

Drinkwater must play and he must be fit to last the 90 by now. He's been here since Jan and had plenty of game time.

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

....and Vardy?

Apparently he's out.

Maddison hasn't had an attacking return in 1000 minutes or something. He's only got a goal or an assist in one game of the last 12 I believe (Fantasy Football stats)

He's a brilliant player, but he's in a bit of a rut. Although we have a very good track record of ending these ruts for players :D

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't know if we'd be balanced enough with both, but can see Davis and Samatta causing an absolute load of problems together.

Absolutely. I’d love to see both played together but don’t think we have enough in midfield to allow it. 

If we do go down and we bring in the personnel to support a formation that allows 2 up top, these two will cause defences a lot of problems in the championship. 

As things stand though, Davis is more of an option after 60 minutes to either replace Samatta or to bring on if we need to go gung-ho. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

You said it.

In an attempt by some to highlight our shortfalls of being easy to beat.....you go off an a complete tangent and go from one extreme to the other.....no one in my opinion has suggested what you are claiming.

Playing an offensive game with a complete respect for the opposition, in terms of denying them initiative, is not parking the bus.....I don't know of 1 poster on here that has suggested us parking the bus, you have invented that in your defence of the criticism, which just about every pundit in the media has endorsed....Wolves do an excellent job of it, they do both with aplomb, thats what some of us are suggesting we do, improve the defensive side of our game.....NOT PLAY DEFENSIVELY as you have conveniently  interpreted.

I was equally frustrated, with Steve Bruces offerings, but in the quite opposite manner, equally as frustrated with Dean Smiths, in ability to close down opposing teams, deny them space and make them work harder for everything they get....blimey shane long must have an orgasm the night before he plays us.....such is the space we offer him.

Wolves for all the praise they have had with their Offensive prowess, have conceded a miserly 34 goals, thats how much emphasis they put on that side of the job.....you don't have to forfeit the spectacle to be able to defend, that is a misguided myth.

The Jack Grealish comment, baffles me, how you can deduce he could not play in a team with a better approach to defending is mind blowing........possible links Chelsea conceded 39, Liverpool conceded 21, Man City conceded 29, Man Utd conceded 30.....do they park the bus?

Now I know you will adjust your argument to say they are better teams...yes they are, but they defend too, without parking the bus......and Jack would fit in to them teams with ease, but we don't want him to go, but if we keep conceding at the rate of 52 to date......He surely will.

Here, I will say it again until it might sink in......We want to be able to defend better without parking the bus.

My apologies if I have misread your countless comments about clean sheets and how eleven 0-0s would probably see us safe, and “it makes you think” hints towards how we could have set up differently. So that I understand your vague and persistent ‘wink wink’ comments about not leaking goals.... you just want us to ‘improve the defensive side of our game’.

Well I’d say every villa fan wants the same.

But it’s strange that many others don’t constantly harp on about keeping clean sheets or grinding out a few draws. It’s almost like they understand our teams limitations and don’t keep hoping for something that a team cobbled together in one summer can’t reasonably provide.

Your examples of where Jack could play in ‘better defensive sides’ is rather amusing. Of course I’m going to say that Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City are better sides. How could I not? You left me an open goal there.

The better question would be how would Jack do in a team that defends well, but is also closer to our level (ie: recently promoted). Perhaps he’d have done just as well at Wolves last season, but then again, they essentially already had a Premier League quality team when they got promoted, so didn’t need to invest as heavily and widespread as we did. 

Maybe we’d be better considering how he would play in a team closer to us by league position, like a Brighton/ Palace/ Newcastle type team. I think it’s inevitable that, should Jack have been playing for a team that sets up ‘better’ defensively, with a more rigid approach and stable set-up (but not parking the bus, as you seem to think is a negative) that he would produce less in an attacking sense. Look at Zaha, he’s a great player, but (simplistically) has scored 3 goals this season. He’s a big influence to Palace, but his attacking outlet would undoubtedly be way better if a team set up to attack more often. 

Lastly, if you were equally frustrated with Bruce’s offerings, you did a bloody good job of disguising it. I don’t recall you commenting and hinting about what could have been if we’d attacked better on many occasions under Bruce. Definitely not as much as you do towards Deano’s deficiencies.

• Like 1

If we play like we did against Leicester in any of the recent games, we'll probably lose. We massively rode our luck, and I suspect a team with Champions League ambitions will not be so profligate again. They had something like 40 shots against us in two games.

Without wishing to state the obvious, we need to shore up the defence. And I really, really don't want to hear anyone "taking positives" if we lose in the last minute.