Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

I hate Monday Night Football. Depending on other results, we could find ourselves 5 points from safety with games in hand against two teams in the top four!!

On the other hand, if results go our way a win here takes us out of the relegation zone.

Either way, I wish we played more games on a Saturday.

• Like 1

Remember that Vardy didn't start against us in the Cup. I think that was a big factor

I think there will be fight but we'll lose 3-1. But to quote Smith these aren't the games that will define our season.

Edited by villalad21

11 games to go... this has to be in the bracket of remaining opportunities where we 'can' win. A point here, considering who else we have to play at home or away says that in truth, this is becoming a must win game... especially if we truly are 5 points adrift come start of play on Monday night. It's all very well being proud of the team yesterday in the Cup Final, but ultimately all we did was spare our blushes. We need even more against Leicester, simple as that. Defeat is a disaster, a draw is the absolute bare minimum as the relegation finger of suspicion wends it's way closer to pointing at us.

Recent history of 'plucky' performances being an indicator that 'if we play like we did in Game A despite defeat, then we'll be winning Game B or C' suggests that is a false narrative. It's what we do next that really matters... I fear a Bournemouth capitulation... but hoping for a Burnley type showing.

Edited by Raver50032
Bear, bare, bear, bare, Barbara Ann
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Remember that Vardy didn't start against us in the Cup. I think that was a big factor

I think there will be fight but we'll lose 3-1. But to quote Smith these aren't the games that will define our season.

I'm not anti-Smith, but I'm looking over my shoulder and wondering what might have been if the board had got itchy feet. Can't do anything about it now mind you... But his statement after the City game at home is making him look a little daft it is true. That one game wasn't the one that defined our season... it's Spurs at home... Bournemouth at home, Bournemouth away, Wolves away, Watford away, doubled handsomely by the Saints, Palace away... although the latter was a VAR outrage. Those are the games that will define our destiny, we came up short in every single one of them. With 11 games to go, there are not too many more opportunities to be plucky in defeat with the prospect of a game the following week to try and put it all right. We have hardly ever gone on to 'put it right' in the following match.

We've just not been good enough. Taking it all on the chin... It's only football. UTV... Make it happen Villa...

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

I'm not anti-Smith, but I'm looking over my shoulder and wondering what might have been if the board had got itchy feet. Can't do anything about it now mind you... But his statement after the City game at home is making him look a little daft it is true. That one game wasn't the one that defined our season... it's Spurs at home... Bournemouth at home, Bournemouth away, Wolves away, Watford away, doubled handsomely by the Saints, Palace away... although the latter was a VAR outrage. Those are the games that will define our destiny, we came up short in every single one of them. With 11 games to go, there are not too many more opportunities to be plucky in defeat with the prospect of a game the following week to try and put it all right. We have hardly ever gone on to 'put it right' in the following match.

We've just not been good enough. Taking it all on the chin... It's only football. UTV... Make it happen Villa...

Palace, Newcastle and West Ham only "winnable games" left.

Need 9 points from that.

Right forget the cup. If we don’t stay up there was no point getting promoted last season.  Our season starts at Leicester and I believe we can get a point at least. They are not in good form, their main man hasn’t scored in ages and he was injured last game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

Leicester have been struggling lately & Villa played really well against them in the League Cup. It could be a real nail biter.

Cup games and League games are totally different though.

In the cup there are no points at stake. No pressure. Totally different circumstances.

We were playing for a chance to win our first trophy in over twenty years and Leicester were playing for the chance to play in a major final in for the first time at in twenty years, there was more pressure on that semi-final than any of our league games, lose that and the chance has gone, whereas in the league there's always next week. Leicester would have wanted to win it more than any single  league game because at that point it looked almost certain then that they had champions league football secured.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

Leicester have been shit for weeks now.

Yes.

And just like the striker on a 3 month barren run, the manager needing a win to save his job, etc etc, you just know what usually happens...

spacer.png

• Haha 3

The cup games against them have given me much more belief that we can get something here.  Without those I'd have been far more pessimistic.  Apply ourselves as we did in the final and I think at least a point is achievable, and would be massive in the grand scheme.  Last weekend's results have really focussed the mind and tightened the sphincter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1