Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

Well the teams around us are sticking to the script, back in our hands now winning these two games in hand is a huge ask but if we want PL football next seaon we need to pull off a couple of shock results.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

we need to pull off a couple of shock results.

I don't know if we actually do. At current rate 35 pts will be enough to ensure survival.

Beat Palace, Newcastle and West Ham would take us to 34 points.

So we only need to win those 3 teams and get a couple of draws. As things stand.

On 02/03/2020 at 13:58, Raver50032 said:

I'm not anti-Smith, but I'm looking over my shoulder and wondering what might have been if the board had got itchy feet. Can't do anything about it now mind you... But his statement after the City game at home is making him look a little daft it is true. That one game wasn't the one that defined our season... it's Spurs at home... Bournemouth at home, Bournemouth away, Wolves away, Watford away, doubled handsomely by the Saints, Palace away... although the latter was a VAR outrage. Those are the games that will define our destiny, we came up short in every single one of them. With 11 games to go, there are not too many more opportunities to be plucky in defeat with the prospect of a game the following week to try and put it all right. We have hardly ever gone on to 'put it right' in the following match.

We've just not been good enough. Taking it all on the chin... It's only football. UTV... Make it happen Villa...

Reality, strikes again.

Like you, I am not anti - Smith either, but I just cannot dismiss the poor defending as a trade off for the spectacle, like its inevitable.....I don't want him gone, I want him to tighten us up, like Hodgson, Dyche, Nuno and Wilder.

I don't think we have the worst defence in the league, stupid errors sure, but the goals against column are suggesting otherwise.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't know if we actually do. At current rate 35 pts will be enough to ensure survival.

So we only need to win those 3 teams and get a couple of draws. As things stand.

on that basis, hypothetically, we don't have to score another goal.....11 draws 0-0 puts us on 36

It kinda makes you think doesn't it?

in all seriousness.... 3  clean sheets and 1-0 wins would put us in a good position, just a few draws and we could cross the line.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I still think we have a big scalp in us.....don't ask me why, just gut feel.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 18:43, villalad21 said:

If we are returning to 4-3-3 there is no way Conor is not getting back into the team. Unless Jack is playing as an 8 or Smith is seriously considering Drink.

If he chooses the latter i'd be stunned.

We have about 5 midfielders in the squad , not good enough, to stop the opposition.... we have bought too many, no better than each other.

I don't know how the manager reconciles that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Reality, strikes again.

Like you, I am not anti - Smith either, but I just cannot dismiss the poor defending as a trade off for the spectacle, like its inevitable.....I don't want him gone, I want him to tighten us up, like Hodgson, Dyche, Nuno and Wilder.

I don't think we have the worst defence in the league, stupid errors sure, but the goals against column are suggesting otherwise.

I don't think it is inevitable though really, with a back 3 of Mings, Mings and Mings, Heaton or Reina in goal with Nyland as cover, Walker at RB and Alexander Arnold as Left back, Henderson in front of Mings, Mings and Mings. I doubt we'd be shipping as many goals ;)

10 game winning streak to come. LOL and finish 5th

We have had a rest, had chance to try something new in training 😚. I honestly expect a loss and wont be bitterly disapointed. I have supported the Villa so long that I dont expect a lot. But every now and then we win one that is not expected and get ourselves into a good position, before we throw it away again

Head says loss but heart is always thinking we could nick it 

• Like 3

I've just got a feeling now the cup dream is over and out the way, we could really see this team roll their sleeves up and get out of this comfortably. I don't expect to win this game but can see us on 40 points by end of season 

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

I don't think it is inevitable though really, with a back 3 of Mings, Mings and Mings, Heaton or Reina in goal with Nyland as cover, Walker at RB and Alexander Arnold as Left back, Henderson in front of Mings, Mings and Mings. I doubt we'd be shipping as many goals ;)

I have no idea, what your point is, sorry.

I don't really care what the reason is or who is to blame.....it ain't right.

Yeah another defeat I fear and then confidence will be further drained...

There's a reason Leicester are where they are in the table and they should be beating a very poor Aston Villa team and that's why we are second bottom of the league. 

Tomorrow feels big. There's this sense that the fight begins now, we've the games in hand, the players are united, McGinn is approaching a return and that we 'demonstrated' our quality in the final. Guilbert is posting images of lions on Instagram and there seems to be renewed focus.

All that is in danger of evaporating with a massive loss tomorrow, it shouldn't but it feels like the bubble would completely burst should we not get something out of the game. Conversely, a win and we might actually push on.

Cliché as it is, I think tomorrow is the biggest game of the season. To be out of the relegation zone and with a game in hand would be huge.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Reality, strikes again.

Or like Klopp ,or even Potter. They defend well enough and still play attractive football. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Or like Klopp ,or even Potter. They defend well enough and still play attractive football. 

yeah, so does Pep, but i was trying to compare with clubs closer to us in terms of stature.