Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We only know of Atletico who were interested. Very few clubs can offer wages that compete with what we offered. He'll earn over 100k a week with the bonuses. He's one of our top earners for sure. We also would have paid a sign on bonus.

The reason I'm confident is you cannot have a wage structure where players are unequal. It just drives more wage demands. I'm sure Kamara being one of the top earners is fine because he's had 5 seasons of top flight football and lots of European experience and just became a France international. Age is only a number, it's experience which we have to pay for

I think you’re a little short on your number and he’ll be up in the 120k per week base at least with the top earners and will have been comforted with an 8 figure signing on fee.

7 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

He's a kid that is so far away from hitting a level that becomes indispensable that it's hardly worth bothering about at this moment in time. 

It's astounding how much oxygen this particular story sucks up. Please come and ridicule "wut you lot said" in three years when Chuk scales the heights of greatness. I would welcome the price in future humiliation for a moment's relief today from Chukodrama. 

Not saying he’s the same as his brother but I did worry when I saw the entourage who was with Caleb when he signed, it was like something out of a music video. In fact I think they did have a camera crew with them.  

I don't mind if he wants to move on, other players have moved clubs at young ages and have been successful in doing so, particularly those moving to Germany in recent years. After all we signed Carney from Northampton Town anyway so we can't complain too much at him wanting to do the same thing again!

But what does irk me is that it seems like the lad has been given preferential treatment to entice him to stay - all our other youngsters have been loaned out first, and none of them were given reasonable PL game time at the age of 17 - and it looks like we've wasted our time when we could have prioritised giving other youngsters game time, or just playing senior players and maybe picking up more points during the season in games like Leeds, Burnley or even Liverpool and Man City. It's not his fault as he's just playing the cards he's been dealt to the best he see's them, but for the club it seems like poor planning as this could have been foreseen well in advance as transfer rumours go as far back as 2 years with this lad.

I would love us to continue to develop youngsters,  hopefully Ramsey will be our next home grown superstar and will then hopefully be followed by the likes of Archer, Kesler-Hayden among others. However, the players we chose to bring through at the very basic level have to be committed to Villa, if we are committed to developing them. The point of the youth system is to improve the club in the long run, either through selling them for significant transfer fees or bringing them into the senior squad. If we prioritise developing youngsters who don't want to stay around for the long haul it is hard to see what the benefit is. 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't care if he turns into Pele, if he isn't committed, then he doesn't deserve to be at VP. 

No player is bigger than the club. 

Absolutely correct. No, repeat no player - or anyone else - is bigger than the club.  
Chuk is not at “regular first team” level yet - he’s work in progress who should, in time, become World Class. If he decides to go then we have sufficient regular first teamers plus several good young players coming through to ensure we will continue to improve.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't care if he turns into Pele, if he isn't committed, then he doesn't deserve to be at VP. 

No player is bigger than the club. 

That's what I was too much of a *ussy to say.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Sorry if old 4:10 ish

"He has a contract offer for some time which he has not signed, so I have decided the best thing is for him to stay at bodymoor"

completely fair and reasonable imho. Shame for Chuck but it is what it is. You cant expect the manager to waste more of everyones time on a player that doesnt want to be here.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, WHY said:

Not saying he’s the same as his brother but I did worry when I saw the entourage who was with Caleb when he signed, it was like something out of a music video. In fact I think they did have a camera crew with them.  

Hmm.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Newcastle keeping tabs on him accroding to some reports. If he signs for them ill never forgive him

Why? If he feels he can get playing time there then so be it. You seriously can’t be this mad at an 18 year old who is likely to still listen to those closest to him about what’s best?  Mentality wise there’s barely any difference between an 18 year old and a 16 year old especially for a guy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Newcastle keeping tabs on him accroding to some reports. If he signs for them ill never forgive him

IF he doesn't sign the contract on offer I think he'll be no1 most hated player for his career I'd say. knowing how cynical what he's done has been.

Just now, Rustibrooks said:

Why? If he feels he can get playing time there then so be it. You seriously can’t be this mad at an 18 year old who is likely to still listen to those closest to him about what’s best?  Mentality wise there’s barely any difference between an 18 year old and a 16 year old especially for a guy

Has nothing to do with playing time. That was a ploy to get him more game time to put him in shop window. We called his bluff

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I don't mind if he wants to move on, other players have moved clubs at young ages and have been successful in doing so, particularly those moving to Germany in recent years. After all we signed Carney from Northampton Town anyway so we can't complain too much at him wanting to do the same thing again!

But what does irk me is that it seems like the lad has been given preferential treatment to entice him to stay - all our other youngsters have been loaned out first, and none of them were given reasonable PL game time at the age of 17 - and it looks like we've wasted our time when we could have prioritised giving other youngsters game time, or just playing senior players and maybe picking up more points during the season in games like Leeds, Burnley or even Liverpool and Man City. It's not his fault as he's just playing the cards he's been dealt to the best he see's them, but for the club it seems like poor planning as this could have been foreseen well in advance as transfer rumours go as far back as 2 years with this lad.

I would love us to continue to develop youngsters,  hopefully Ramsey will be our next home grown superstar and will then hopefully be followed by the likes of Archer, Kesler-Hayden among others. However, the players we chose to bring through at the very basic level have to be committed to Villa, if we are committed to developing them. The point of the youth system is to improve the club in the long run, either through selling them for significant transfer fees or bringing them into the senior squad. If we prioritise developing youngsters who don't want to stay around for the long haul it is hard to see what the benefit is. 

I think what we have been forever dealing with during that period is potential.

Now, if I had a £1 for the amount of times, pundits say, this or that lad will be a superstar, I would be a rich man.

Carney may well do....but he's still potential, despite his improvements.....and we have 2 x Ramseys, a Tommi O'Reilly, and a Tim Irogebunam, all vieing for a midfield slot at some stage....it could be congested.

Its this same potential, that has the predictors at odds with each other on his value.

The potential suitors, have nothing to lose, so it follows everybody and his grandmother are after him......they will probably get him for a snip.

I do see the potential, they all see.....but I am not yet convinced, so as much it will be sad to see him go......The club cannot be held to ransom.

It happens, Sonny Perkins has just done it to WHU....We just have to get on with it and not let it mar our pre seasons preparations, we want players......ALL IN.

Just now, CVByrne said:

Has nothing to do with playing time. That was a ploy to get him more game time to put him in shop window. We called his bluff

But to hate/dislike an 18 year old that barely can make decisions for themselves? We have all been 18 and for those that did have family etc around you’re going to tell me that you weren’t influenced by someone/something else that now you look back on and maybe think you could handle better?

I may be the minority but I find it very ridiculous to dislike him, the situation is annoying yes, but it’s not like he’s let’s say Grealish who has a connection to the club. Carney has stayed silent on the whole thing, he’s never claimed love for the club or a dislike. 

• Like 2

I’d be gutted if he left, in my opinion, he’s a very talented young player with great potential. He’s someone I’ve seen develop over the past couple of years and Christian Purslow called him the best 16 year old in the country a couple of years ago. I think the club rate him highly too, even Jack Grealish didn’t make his debut at Villa until he was 18, Chukwuemeka was 17 I think. If the worst did happen and he wanted to leave, I think he will go on to have a great career, he has a lot of natural talent, 

Â