Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I agree with a lot of posters that a CB or strong DM who could cover both would be very welcome. I’ve no idea who. 

At LB Rico Henry would be great both as a defender but also his attacking ability gives us options further forward. 

Up front would people take Pukki from Norwich as rotation and injury cover? He started last season very well but tailed off badly. That could have been down to a lack of confidence as the defeats mounted up. Rejuvenated he could be a good option. 

Edited by DaveAV1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree with a lot of posters that a CB or strong DM who could cover both would be very welcome. I’ve no idea who. 

At LB Rico Henry would be great both as a defender but also his attacking ability gives us options further forward. 

Up front would people take Pukki from Norwich as rotation and injury cover? He started last season very well but tailed off badly. That could have been down to a lack of confidence as he defeats mounted up. Rejuvenated he could be a good option. 

Rico

Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

pukki

Sorry Fantasy Football GIF by DraftKings

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Trez and Targett are very good squad players and probably will be next season.  Wellbeck wouldn’t be the worst signing in the world as a squad player. Nobody is suggesting for a second he should be signed to improve the first team!

Welbeck would literally be pretty much the worst squad signing in the World. We have a limited squad size that we are already on the limit of if not exceeding, yet you’d consider registering a player who is injured more often than not and is crap when he isn’t. Baffling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Welbeck would literally be pretty much the worst squad signing in the World.

Exhibit A:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/aleksandar-tonev/profil/spieler/87282

Aleksandar Tonev

Date of birth/Age: Feb 3, 1990 (30)

Citizenship: BulgariaBulgaria

Height: 1,78 m

Position: Left Winger 

Agent: Lehmanns Management

National player: BulgariaBulgaria

Aleksandar Tonev
Getty Images
Without Club
Without Club
since: Aug 3, 2020

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice to read lots of balanced views.

I feel we can withstand a small number of injuries now, as we have more options than before, and when Heaton, Engels and Wesley are back, we're in decent shape. And as others have said, Liverpool fans are blaming the loss of Mane for killing their 'high line' system, and they're the Champions.

And the extra options will allow us to rotate players a bit more, particularly if they're carrying niggles - we all knew McGinn wasn't right last season, before he really injured himself and was out for months. We have to stop these problems.

Also - we have 10 days to sign from lower leagues, where we do shop quite a lot. And then it's only 11 weeks until the transfer window SLAMS OPEN (am I doing this right?) again.

45 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Long-term planning with multiple options should help us in negotiations as well.  We really paid top dollar for each one of our targets the last 2 years. As @DaveAV1 mentioned - we should also be looking for a few prospects with a high ceiling.

Well obviously I agree and I’d like to think that we are. We have a proper recruitment team now with all the analytical tools etc that they need. So we should be able to look at things from many different angles both in terms of short term and long term effects on the squad moving forward. 

1 hour ago, vazquez said:

I think 4-5-1 is the way to go forward, Jack has just produced 2+3 from wing position against champions, I would not move him to middle. I believe we will have january transfer window before Wesley is back and fully fit. 

For now we have decent cover with Steer, Hourihane, Guilbert, Hause, Taylor, Elmo, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Lansbury, Ramsey, Traore and Davis. Heaton, Engels and Wesley coming back at some point.

Was simply talking about viable options. Not what we should go with.

The 4 2 3 1 we played against Liverpool worked well. The normal 4 1 2 2 1 will also work well. So will 4 4 2 diamond. Normal 4 4 2 won't be effective. 3 5 2 can work if we had a third quality centre back, but not until then, same with 3 4 3.

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So hypothetically, say we had £20m lefin the budget that we could spend. Does it make sense to spend that now on additional forward who would effectively be on the bench? Then come January we potentially have Wesley, King, Davis and Watkins for one central role.

Fantastic post Trent,but did you mean Traore?

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Wellbeck available on a free. As a backup to the backup, would he be so bad? (Depending on wages obviously)

That would be making the same old mistake again, would it not?

He would not be playing for free, hence a salary, hence a contract. Getting rid of these types of signings is a problem that has dogged us for years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Welbeck would literally be pretty much the worst squad signing in the World. We have a limited squad size that we are already on the limit of if not exceeding, yet you’d consider registering a player who is injured more often than not and is crap when he isn’t. Baffling.

I think that’s how desperate the situation up front is. I would rather us maybe have a fit Wellbeck on the bench than having to rely on Davis or a player out of position. 

For the record I do not want us to sign Wellbeck and I do not for a second think we even will. I just don’t think it would be end of the world if we decided to as a last minute free.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

That would be making the same old mistake again, would it not?

He would not be playing for free, hence a salary, hence a contract. Getting rid of these types of signings is a problem that has dogged us for years.

Yes it would have to be a short term deal and I suspect he’d also have to take a substantial pay cut. 

Which is why it’s not going to happen.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So the international and Premier League window are closed and there are 10 days left for EFL deals, it has been an eventful few weeks.

It is incredible to think how different things could and perhaps should have been, we could very easily be in the Championship now wondering which of the players we had left were going to get picked off by the PL clubs. Had we gone down I'm certain PL clubs would have circled for the obvious targets but would have waited until this point hoping to bag a bargain.

Instead we sit in a lofty position in the PL, with the best squad we've had in 10 years and we can pick over the EFL if we so wish. It is proper Sliding Doors/parallel worlds stuff.

There is no point recapping who we've signed, we all know and pretty much all have the same view so far on those players. The team has improved significantly.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a forward to arrive yesterday but when I stop and think about it, I actually think not adding one makes a lot of sense. Perhaps more sense than spending it now and finding we are short in another position in January and having to go down the loan route.

Last summer mainly through necessity we went all in in the summer, chips on the table and balls out. Then injuries hit and we needed a keeper, midfielder and striker. In came Reina, Drinkwater and Samatta. Do we want to be in that position again come January?

As wealthy as the owners are there are limits both imposed and self-imposed on what we can spend. 

This is all hypothetical, obviously we don't know what budget remains or the thinking at the club but I guess its just an attempt to give a possible and I think logical theory as to way we look a little light up front.

We will probably go and buy a Championship forward now I've said this but I rather suspect we won't.

Either way its a gamble but if they are holding some money back then I think that would be the right move and more evidence of having learned from the mistakes of last season.

Good analysis, it's easy with the artificial hype of deadline day to think we have to do more, I myself can be guilty of that. Ultimately are first XI is more good enough for top 10, yes a few injuries could see us plummeting to the lower depths but this is true of any team below the top 6 probably.

Listening to the Matt Maher analysis, we may well have gotten that last semi luxury player in to cover these positions we are worried about -  but we did overpay more than budgeted for Watkins, Cash and Martinez, which probably would have added up to the 15-20m we needed for another. Given the impact of those 3 already I think we are all in agreement we are glad we overpaid to get them over the line.

January will present some amazing opportunities, in terms of financing we are in such a relatively strong position and as COVID goes on and matchday revenue is no longer collected, our relative financial strength gets stronger and stronger. We probably wouldn't have even be at the table for Milot Rashica pre-COVID but imagine what high profile players we might be able to sign after a few more months of no matchday revenue. 

The owners are smartly very weary of FFP and so I believe they never want to be operating at the maximum of our capacity in regards to this and always want to leave a spare £20m or so to take advantages of opportunities such as the Jan window.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So the international and Premier League window are closed and there are 10 days left for EFL deals, it has been an eventful few weeks.

It is incredible to think how different things could and perhaps should have been, we could very easily be in the Championship now wondering which of the players we had left were going to get picked off by the PL clubs. Had we gone down I'm certain PL clubs would have circled for the obvious targets but would have waited until this point hoping to bag a bargain.

Instead we sit in a lofty position in the PL, with the best squad we've had in 10 years and we can pick over the EFL if we so wish. It is proper Sliding Doors/parallel worlds stuff.

There is no point recapping who we've signed, we all know and pretty much all have the same view so far on those players. The team has improved significantly.

We all also largely agree I think on the weaker areas in both the team and squad, namely short of options up front, at RCB and a lack of quality at LB. With the exception of those positions we are at this stage well set and I personally am convinced we will see far better performances this season from Targett because of the changes in front of him.

So what about the other two positions, RCB and forward. Well hopefully the first can be covered by the returning Engles who has been absent for reasons unknown but apparently injury for quite some time.

Personally I thought Engles started last season well and showed promise but went wayward post Christmas culminating in the horror show against Spurs. In a side that has far greater attacking threat and defensive structure I would hope he can step in when needed.

That just leaves the lack of forward options. It is still possible we will move for an addition like King or even Benrahma but I suspect we won't. 

I recently had a debate on here with someone about the merits of holding some budget back for January, their view was it made no sense and we should spend now to be as strong as possible. I can see their view point.

However from the end of the window next week until the start of the next window there is only 11 weeks and 12 games. That isn't a great deal of time or games to get through with our existing squad and the potential return of Wesley to the squad.

Putting aside peoples views on Wesley and the unknown quantity of a post injury return for a moment, his return does give us an additional and different option.

So hypothetically, say we had £20m left in the budget that we could spend. Does it make sense to spend that now on additional forward who would effectively be on the bench? Then come January we potentially have Wesley, King, Davis and Watkins for one central role.

Or are we better holding onto the money, waiting until January and seeing what happens with Wesley and then assessing what if anything the squad needs or what opportunities present themselves?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a forward to arrive yesterday but when I stop and think about it, I actually think not adding one makes a lot of sense. Perhaps more sense than spending it now and finding we are short in another position in January and having to go down the loan route.

Last summer mainly through necessity we went all in in the summer, chips on the table and balls out. Then injuries hit and we needed a keeper, midfielder and striker. In came Reina, Drinkwater and Samatta. Do we want to be in that position again come January?

As wealthy as the owners are there are limits both imposed and self-imposed on what we can spend. 

This is all hypothetical, obviously we don't know what budget remains or the thinking at the club but I guess its just an attempt to give a possible and I think logical theory as to way we look a little light up front.

We will probably go and buy a Championship forward now I've said this but I rather suspect we won't.

Either way its a gamble but if they are holding some money back then I think that would be the right move and more evidence of having learned from the mistakes of last season.

The problem with saving money for January is you don't get the value, but the benefit is you know what you need in the short term. However, if we spend the budget now we'd get better value, but we wouldn't know where the injuries/illness/loss of form will hit, and could potentially strengthen the wrong area of the squad.

I think this season it may be wise to keep some back for January, and this is because the squad still has a few areas of weakness that are unlikely to be fixed by one or two signings, there are going to be a lot of injuries, but if we get one or two long term ones like last season then having some budget left in January will see us better able to plug those gaps.

That said, if quality becomes available at the right price before the window closes you have to look at it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

The problem with saving money for January is you don't get the value, but the benefit is you know what you need in the short term. However, if we spend the budget now we'd get better value, but we wouldn't know where the injuries/illness/loss of form will hit, and could potentially strengthen the wrong area of the squad.

A very valid counter point re value although it remains to be seen what will happen to player values if clubs still have no matchday revenue come the New Year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

King is garbage and one of the reasons Bournemouth went down and should've gone down sooner. Astonishing people think he'd be good for us just because Percy made up a rumour we were bidding for him

Please explain how an attack-minded winger is one of the reasons a team who had the second worst defensive record in the league should have gone down sooner. That's like saying Fulham deserve to be relegated this season because Mitrovic has only one goal from open play so far.

Last season:

Grealish 8 goals 6 assists in 3234 minutes (231 minutes per goal contribution)

King 6 goals 4 assists in 2020 minutes (202 minutes per goal contribution)

Not in any way saying King = Grealish, but as a back-up option for one season...there are many worse options.

Edited by a-k
  • Like 4