Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think that’s how desperate the situation up front is. I would rather us maybe have a fit Wellbeck on the bench than having to rely on Davis or a player out of position. 

For the record I do not want us to sign Wellbeck and I do not for a second think we even will. I just don’t think it would be end of the world if we decided to as a last minute free.

Wellbeck isn't the answer though if he was he wouldn't have been released, Davis and Traore can both act as cover for Watkins for now, we need to re-access in Jan see where Wes is at, if he's not ready I do think we should bring someone in as it's going to be a tough season players are bound to pick up some knocks. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So the international and Premier League window are closed and there are 10 days left for EFL deals, it has been an eventful few weeks.

It is incredible to think how different things could and perhaps should have been, we could very easily be in the Championship now wondering which of the players we had left were going to get picked off by the PL clubs. Had we gone down I'm certain PL clubs would have circled for the obvious targets but would have waited until this point hoping to bag a bargain.

Instead we sit in a lofty position in the PL, with the best squad we've had in 10 years and we can pick over the EFL if we so wish. It is proper Sliding Doors/parallel worlds stuff.

There is no point recapping who we've signed, we all know and pretty much all have the same view so far on those players. The team has improved significantly.

We all also largely agree I think on the weaker areas in both the team and squad, namely short of options up front, at RCB and a lack of quality at LB. With the exception of those positions we are at this stage well set and I personally am convinced we will see far better performances this season from Targett because of the changes in front of him.

So what about the other two positions, RCB and forward. Well hopefully the first can be covered by the returning Engles who has been absent for reasons unknown but apparently injury for quite some time.

Personally I thought Engles started last season well and showed promise but went wayward post Christmas culminating in the horror show against Spurs. In a side that has far greater attacking threat and defensive structure I would hope he can step in when needed.

That just leaves the lack of forward options. It is still possible we will move for an addition like King or even Benrahma but I suspect we won't. 

I recently had a debate on here with someone about the merits of holding some budget back for January, their view was it made no sense and we should spend now to be as strong as possible. I can see their view point.

However from the end of the window next week until the start of the next window there is only 11 weeks and 12 games. That isn't a great deal of time or games to get through with our existing squad and the potential return of Wesley to the squad.

Putting aside peoples views on Wesley and the unknown quantity of a post injury return for a moment, his return does give us an additional and different option.

So hypothetically, say we had £20m left in the budget that we could spend. Does it make sense to spend that now on additional forward who would effectively be on the bench? Then come January we potentially have Wesley, King, Davis and Watkins for one central role.

Or are we better holding onto the money, waiting until January and seeing what happens with Wesley and then assessing what if anything the squad needs or what opportunities present themselves?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a forward to arrive yesterday but when I stop and think about it, I actually think not adding one makes a lot of sense. Perhaps more sense than spending it now and finding we are short in another position in January and having to go down the loan route.

Last summer mainly through necessity we went all in in the summer, chips on the table and balls out. Then injuries hit and we needed a keeper, midfielder and striker. In came Reina, Drinkwater and Samatta. Do we want to be in that position again come January?

As wealthy as the owners are there are limits both imposed and self-imposed on what we can spend. 

This is all hypothetical, obviously we don't know what budget remains or the thinking at the club but I guess its just an attempt to give a possible and I think logical theory as to way we look a little light up front.

We will probably go and buy a Championship forward now I've said this but I rather suspect we won't.

Either way its a gamble but if they are holding some money back then I think that would be the right move and more evidence of having learned from the mistakes of last season.

Spot on, great post👌🏻

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

If we are to sign any other player this close season it only needs to be a good young left sided defender, coming with a long term view.

That Aaron Hickey kid appeared it would have been a good one.

Do we not have any good ones at the Academy?

I know of Kessler on the right.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That Aaron Hickey kid appeared it would have been a goon one.

Do we not have any good ones at the Academy?

I know of Kessler on the right.

I heard he's a lovely lad. Doesn't want to cause any harm to anyone.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

A very valid counter point re value although it remains to be seen what will happen to player values if clubs still have no matchday revenue come the New Year.

I agree, though it's hard to find any definitive stat which tells us how transfer fees have been affected so far, or may lead us to guess how the values might be by January, but then maybe our budget could shrink by January should our own revenues fall more than expected.

Another thing is that good players are usually more difficult to obtain in the January window due to clubs not wanting to to let them go in the middle of a season, potentially weakening themselves, but again it depends on finances, some clubs may be forced to sell this year. 

It's crazy times we are living in, it's difficult to predict anything, I mean we just stuffed Liverpool 7-2. 😂

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I know he didn't have the best of seasons, but terminating him?! Poor b*stard

arnold schwarzenegger terminator GIF

with Welbeck injury record, like a horse maybe its best to put him down

7 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I agree, though it's hard to find any definitive stat which tells us how transfer fees have been affected so far, or may lead us to guess how the values might be by January, but then maybe our budget could shrink by January should our own revenues fall more than expected.

Another thing is that good players are usually more difficult to obtain in the January window due to clubs not wanting to to let them go in the middle of a season, potentially weakening themselves, but again it depends on finances, some clubs may be forced to sell this year. 

It's crazy times we are living in, it's difficult to predict anything, I mean we just stuffed Liverpool 7-2. 😂

I think we will see the Premier League direct streaming model sooner rather than later. The potential to make billions from it regardless of pandemics will be huge. Fans will get to see their team for cheaper than a season ticket if they're not allowed back to the grounds. Even if they are then it's still going to be huge.

• Like 1

If we sign another attacking player it will be a back up striker, except for King or Karlan Grant is nobody in the Championship or below that would probably add to us. Pukki, Deeney, Sarr, Benrahma are not going to happen for a number of reasons

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we sign another attacking player it will be a back up striker, except for King or Karlan Grant is nobody in the Championship or below that would probably add to us. Pukki, Deeney, Sarr, Benrahma are not going to happen for a number of reasons

I think a winger is more likely than a striker but I think they would be able to play both. Mainly so that we have more depth there which allows us to play jack in the middle when barkley or mcginn is out or even rest jack (I know) 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If Wellbeck would accept sensible wages he wouldn’t be the worst squad player in the world.  He actually looked half decent near the end of the season. Cracking overhead kick against Norwich.

edit: more chance of him scoring a goal than Davis.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, a-k said:

Last season:

Grealish 8 goals 6 assists in 3234 minutes (231 minutes per goal contribution)

King 6 goals 4 assists in 2020 minutes (202 minutes per goal contribution)

OT but crazy that Jack is practically halfway to his 19/20 totals already this season.

• Like 1