Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Not that I take what Sky said as worth anything, but in the article about the Traore fee being agreed. They mention again about the Martinez fee being 'paid in a way that allows them funds for Traore', whereas before it was the exact same sentence except for Rashica instead of Traore. They seem to think it's instead of.

As I said though, they don't have much of a clue.

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Spare me the pseudo-intellectual retort. If you can't see that McGinn has proven he can be successful at this level than your choosing not to see it. It also didn't help that his first season in the PL was derailed by a snapped ankle.

Seriously mate, grow up. Just because ive a different opinion to you doesn't mean im wrong. I thought what he played of last season he was poor. Shoot me. Jesus !!

8 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Any ideas how real or close these three transfers are? All three are being reported as done deals but still no announcements. If players are booked in for medicals, etc, there must be some intel. 

Martinez - done, announced tomorrow

Traore - agreed, needs medical and contract agreed

Rashica - still being negotiated, but largely agreed.

11 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Done none of that so far in the PL. Not even close to it. Championship ? Yeah, he bossed it. Yes he came back from an injury but his fitness was a concern since the 1st game last season. 

Yes he has. 

3.62 shot creating actions per 90 which is exceptional for a central midfielder.   3.27 tackles or interceptions per 90 nearly 20 presses per game and over two successful dribbles per game.  He is quality both attacking and defending and that is with 4 or 5 games after lock down not being fully fit.  McGinn is a £40-50m player and a top 6 team will be in for him by the end of the season if he stays fit and maintains his performance level.

Edited by MJ_1874
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Seriously mate, grow up. Just because ive a different opinion to you doesn't mean im wrong. I thought what he played of last season he was poor. Shoot me. Jesus !!

Ha! No need to get so worked up. Nothing wrong with a differing opinion. But as I said you're choosing not to see what can make him successful if all you think he has is work-rate and endeavor. 

Edited by Aston_Villan4

17 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think we are desperately short in midfield. Quote me on it if he goes on to have a cracking season but i have my doubts as to whether McGinn is good enough at this level. His qualities are nullified because mostly every midfielder in the PL brings a work rate and endeavour so if those are your main attributes, you are in trouble. I think Luiz is class and will only get better 

I do think we need another midfielder, I also think SJM will be absolutely fine, bare in mind he started the season really well, Alex Ferguson was advising ManU to pay 50m for him then playing through that hidden injury was not great and so finally he was off for months because of it, came back post lockdown rusty and grew and grew, honestly think youv'e got it wrong with him pal he will be fine, for the club im hoping im right and youre wrong. 

Regarding Douglas Liuiz, fantastic , just keeps getting better and better, will be a superstar.

31 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

It's tempting to think that these signings are going to get us comfortably mid-table, but I'm not necessarily expecting that.   I think where we'll see the difference is in the matches against the bottom half where the other team was crap and there for the taking and we just couldn't take advantage.  Ones like the Bournemouth matches, Palace away, WHU at home.   Turn a few of those draws into wins and losses into draws or wins and we're hopefully not fighting so hard for survival.  Also, these players should help us get a surprise result or two against a top half team like some of our competitors had, particularly in matches where we were in with a chance late in the game and threw it away (Spurs x 2, Liverpool home, Arsenal away).

To be fair, those are the matches which can make the difference between mid table and where we ended up.

If someone could find that statistic, about the amount of matches we actually threw away from winning positions you would be shocked.

A combination of not being able to take chances and shoddy defending.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, those are the matches which can make the difference between mid table and where we ended up.

If someone could find that statistic, about the amount of matches we actually threw away from winning positions you would be shocked.

A combination of not being able to take chances and shoddy defending.

I can't remember the exact number of points we "threw away" but it's somewhere in the mid to upper teens. To me the worst was two of those games our opponent had ten men. 

33 minutes ago, Trickster said:

No different links being mentioned in the media = 'we can't sign anyone!'

Links that come out of nowhere that are close to signing = 'We are clearly panic buying!'

Oh you [one poster]

Fixed that for you

13 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I can't remember the exact number of points we "threw away" but it's somewhere in the mid to upper teens. To me the worst was two of those games our opponent had ten men. 

Someone posted it the other day and I think it was something mental like 27 points lost from winning positions.

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If we cut that by half we’d be mid table. 

Improve our points gained from losing positions too and we'll be good. 

Punishing teams trying to get back into the game against us is absolutely the target though. The potentially pacey players coming in should make us far more brutal on the break along with a confident Watkins who was approaching 30 goals last season. 

• Like 1