Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

That player however is never going to join us who just finished outside of the relegation places when your competition is the top clubs in Europe.

Villa fans crack me up. It's "We improved dramatically as a team after the restart" and "I'm confident at what I saw in the last four games to know we'll be fine next season," but the second anyone mentions any potential quality additions that we may or may not acquire, it's "We finished outside of the relegation zone by the skin of our teeth. get real" 

I have no problem with a player deciding not to come to us. My issue is that we most likely wouldn't even submit a bid.

Edited by Spray

13 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think we have completely f*cked this window. Can’t attract the players we really need and want, and the promising/risky ones (Benrahma/Watkins/Edouard etc) are being priced out (honestly: Watkins at £28m). Clubs know we have deep pockets and are trying their luck, we will lose out if we wait until the end of the window, our need to buy is greater than their need to sell. Purslow runs the risk of being schooled. I also think our shopping list is pretty one dimensional.

How have we f*ucked this window? Of course we can’t attract the players we need/ want we are currently the worst team in the league as we were one place above relegation, not exactly a positive career move for established or aspiring players and yes the media have made it clear we are loaded but why should we fall into this trap. We are not being schooled, we are not letting people take the piss, this might mean we don’t get instant success but it will allow us to build over time if the ‘fans’ can be patient enough to wait.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

How do you know what our shopping list is and that we can't attract them? None of us. Not one of us on here knows the players we are interested in.

I don’t, just going on the current press. We will see at the end of the window.

I just hope this summer is not the same as January: getting in last minute rubbish that isn’t up to it (Drinkwater and Baston) when we should have known better.
This is a very important window: get it wrong we will likely go down, or only tread water and just stay up then lose our better talent and struggle to recruit. We have the money and ambition, overpay to kick start the revolution.

i can see Purslow gone at the end of next season if we don’t meaningfully kick on, our owners are no mugs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'd hold your rockets just there mate..

There was that worrying factor, but I think we have today started seeing movement and I wouldn't start to write things off yet yet...

Yes Purslow will have a few eyes on him if it's deemed a poor window come Oct 5th.

We've got approx 33 days to make things happen and I have a quiet feeling that we will.

I hope so, but I feel less confident than I did three weeks ago. I think the market is running away. Again, we need 4-5 decent players, all who have to click when our rivals only need 2 or 3.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I don’t, just going on the current press. We will see at the end of the window.

I just hope this summer is not the same as January: getting in last minute rubbish that isn’t up to it (Drinkwater and Baston) when we should have known better.
This is a very important window: get it wrong we will likely go down, or only tread water and just stay up then lose our better talent and struggle to recruit. We have the money and ambition, overpay to kick start the revolution.

i can see Purslow gone at the end of next season if we don’t meaningfully kick on, our owners are no mugs.

Yes I agree that this season is make or break for Purslow. He has to get it right. However, there's no reason yet to think he won't.

January was a bit of an odd one because we only had £10m to spend without going over the FFP limit. Baston and Drinkwater were literally stop gap signings. I don't think we'll see the like of that in this window.

I wouldn't go on the current press to be honest. This is the best Villa has been run for years and years. They're rightly letting nothing slip to the press until the last minute. I think and hope we will see players signed who haven't even been mentioned yet. We'll see when the window closes but I think there's lots of reasons to be optimistic. The owners won't stop until they achieve what they want. I really believe that.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

I hope so, but I feel less confident than I did three weeks ago. I think the market is running away. Again, we need 4-5 decent players, all who have to click when our rivals only need 2 or 3.

Sure, I was feeling the same over the weekend there but looking at things and all the Internationals etc. from tomorrow it would make sense why potentially some of our targets wouldn't have been announced till around this period.

Thankfully today we've got two in the door with has eased a bit of the unrest and a sign we're about to see more developments.

Fingers crossed it's all been worth the wait.

31 minutes ago, smg said:

How have we f*ucked this window? Of course we can’t attract the players we need/ want we are currently the worst team in the league as we were one place above relegation, not exactly a positive career move for established or aspiring players and yes the media have made it clear we are loaded but why should we fall into this trap. We are not being schooled, we are not letting people take the piss, this might mean we don’t get instant success but it will allow us to build over time if the ‘fans’ can be patient enough to wait.

We will see. I am very patient, I am not expecting a quantum leap next season, just mid table safety. But there will be no congratulations for feeling very smug at not overpaying but also be the richest relegated side next season. As they say: “there are no pockets in a shroud”.

The point is we know what we need as a priority: forwards, pace, goals. Getting priced out, then move on. 

We also need momentum to ensure we keep our better players, and this both moving up the table but showing our ambition and willingness to compete in the market.

Edited by thunderball

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Would any of these guys be attainable? Bottom of the list?

I don’t watch enough football these days to form much of an opinion tbh.

Villa is my sole/primary focus nowadays.

9A2860B8-8477-4EE9-9A10-E09BEC1F9DBA.jpeg

If Max Aarons Is being valued at £37M then Matty Cash looks like a no brainier at £14-16M!!! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not sure of the context but look quite inflated e.g. Dortmund willing to sell Sancho at €120m, also Sessegnon/Kean/Aaron’s all look high. However Greenwood and Foden look light.

Edited by thunderball

There were reports or rumours that we tried to get Kubo on loan. Never heard of Kabak & Kulusevski. Same with Hamed Traore & Badiashile.

Szoboslai is another talented youngster I’ve seen mentioned a few times.

Sessegnon on loan has been suggested a few times (not played much at Spurs?)

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Not sure of the context but look quite inflated e.g. Dortmund willing to sell Sancho at €120m, also Sessegnon/Kean/Aaron’s all look high. However Greenwood and Foden look light.

Yeah the prices don’t quite make sense, certainly don’t think Odoi & Kean are worth that much! Fati likely worth more.

Just interesting to see which young players  are rated as the next big talents and whether we could get any in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

How is Moise Kean worth nearly double what Everton paid for him after a pretty poor season?

51 minutes ago, Spray said:

Villa fans crack me up. It's "We improved dramatically as a team after the restart" and "I'm confident at what I saw in the last four games to know we'll be fine next season," but the second anyone mentions any potential quality additions that we may or may not acquire, it's "We finished outside of the relegation zone by the skin of our teeth. get real" 

I have no problem with a player deciding not to come to us. My issue is that we most likely wouldn't even submit a bid.

Not to mention teams who are in far greater trouble, like Leeds, are signing high quality players no problem. Neither will we. The Premier league is the most attractive and richest league in the world. You are damn right we can compete for the very best players. We can afford them. Very few European teams can.