Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

1.72 was our first 10 games of the season. When everyone was fit and riding the promotion high. 

Our attacking play was not suddenly stopped after lockdown, we had been poor going forward months previously. 

Yes, as I remember:

Leicester 4-0, Southampton 2-0, Spurs 3-2, Bournemouth 2-1, Brighton 1-1, Man City 6-1, Watford 1-2, Burnley 1-2, Watford 3-0, Norwich 0-1, Southampton 3-1.

Thats 11 goals in 11, which includes playing 4 games against relegated teams. Very nice set of games compared to post lockdown. 

Sheff 0-0, Chelsea 2-1, Newcastle 1-1, Wolves 1-0, Liverpool 2-0, Man Utd 3-0, Palace 0-2, Everton 1-1, Arsenal 1-0, West Ham 1-1.

7 in 10 but a very much hard set of games. The GD is just -4, while we conceded 26 which makes the first set of games (-15) which is horrible. We managed GD very well to give us a chance in the last two weeks. 

• Like 3

I’d have taken Barry back for a last season as a player coach - cover in DM and left back... mind you I wanted Terry to play on another year as well so maybe I’m just upset by the passing of time showing my own age...

1 hour ago, mallett said:

Well I am bored.

I wonder if it has been long enough that we can once again start listing players we would like Villa to sign during the window - like we were doing much earlier in this thread.

My revised list based on recent rumours for £100m:

Odsonne Edouard £30m - pace, counter attack threat, goals, dead ball threat, striker

Benrahma £25m - LW - Jack may well want Villa to have a viable option for the role so he can move to his favourite position of 8 (and so Southgate doesn't keep comparing him to players like Sancho)

Ethan Ampadu - £17m - DM/RCB - £17m - covers / competes with Konsa and Luiz but also gives us better options for switching to three at the back or joining Luiz as DM and playing 4 2 3 1, also offers option of Konsa moving to RB for some games and him covering RCB. Could also be that he plays the pivot and Luiz moves to other midfield slot.

Marcus Edwards - £13m - RW - pace, tricks, dead ball ability - cheaper option

Rico Henry - £15m - LB - offers pace as opposed to Targett. Targett needs the competition, for me he has come back looking a bit heavy in the preseason training videos.

Out: Jota, Taylor, Lansbury, Kalinic, Engels, AEG etc. - the outs should just about offset the incoming so that net spend is about £100m allowing for some jiggery pokery.

Prefer us to go big for Edouard rather than cheap with Watkins.

AEG has more ability than Trezeguet but Trez worked harder for it and I would want the squad to know that hard work counts for more than talent on its own.

Engels is too slow for the Premier league and seems to have fallen out with Smith. I want the defence to push further up the pitch and I think Engel's lack of pace is an issue for that.

I don't think Rashica wants to come.

Based on your analysis i trust your ideas and philosophy. Moving forward as a club starts a lot like this and just to add to that im desperate to know who we would all prefer ( if theres the option of course). Guys please answer this one and reasons as to why would be appreciated 

Benrahma or Rashica ??? 

Edouard looks like his feet dont move quick enough with the ball thats my only concern other than that he looks like a good  striker, also even though he gets goals it also doesnt look like he strikes the ball clean enough. Again he has talent but just what i noticed. 

Is it just me or do you guys get put off players that are linked with the brightons and the crystal palaces as i just dont feel like those clubs shouldnt be attracting the same players we are and if they went there they probably wont be that great. I prefer when we are linked with the same players that maybe an arsenal or chelsea, spurs had interest in. 

Edited by RicRic
More to add

6 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Is it just me or do you guys get put off players that are linked with the brightons and the crystal palaces as i just dont feel like those clubs shouldnt be attracting the same players we are and if they went there they probably wont be that great. I prefer when we are linked with the same players that maybe an arsenal or chelsea, spurs had interest in. 

players being 'linked' to other clubs is just agents trying to push up the player's value. guarantee 99.9% of the time said clubs were never in the slightest bit interested

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

players being 'linked' to other clubs is just agents trying to push up the player's value. guarantee 99.9% of the time said clubs were never in the slightest bit interested

Yep

They link players with a range of clubs, if a top youngster who is seemingly unobtainable is linked with Palace or Brighton then he doesn't seem so unobtainable anymore 

Its establishing the market that the agent is fishing in 

Whilst at the same time you have to accept that we are a lower level currently than Palace and Brighton... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

This what John Percy wrote a few weeks back...

'Manager Dean Smith will target players in attacking areas, plus a central midfielder, a right-back and possibly another centre-half '

And that's pretty much what I expect to happen.

Yeah, Konsa needs a solid partner. 

• Haha 1

My concern levels have gone up from not bothered at all to slightly worried. We do need to bring in some quality before the first game, ideally in the next couple of weeks. It always takes longer than you think but the market is starting to open up so hopefully not too long before something happens. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

My concern levels have gone up from not bothered at all to slightly worried. We do need to bring in some quality before the first game, ideally in the next couple of weeks. It always takes longer than you think but the market is starting to open up so hopefully not too long before something happens. 

yeah pretty much this for me too. hoping we have multiple irons in multiple fires though

We need another winger, this is where we are severely lacking. If we can get someone who can add more attacking threat it should free up Jack and Samatta. A forward would be nice but if they are all over priced then we need to look at lower priced alternatives, a prospect from lower divisions or abroad or an older player who's looking for their last swansong.  

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't mind percy but to be fair that statement covers 9 of the 11 positions, it's a bit wishy washy 

No mention of a keeper either! 

Not sure how fully fit Heaton and Steer are and don't think they are confident in starting the season with old polo hands either! 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't mind percy but to be fair that statement covers 9 of the 11 positions, it's a bit wishy washy 

Yep; and the 2 he has missed out a lot of people think we need - a GK because Heaton won't be back on time and is injury prone, and a LB, because of Taylor (I don't agree on this one).