Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I saw Cavani mentioned a few pages back. Whenever I’ve watched him, he always seems really lazy. Like Berbatov but without the added magical flair. 

Maybe I’ve only seen him on off days, but if he is a lazy player, that’s the last thing you want in a team fighting relegation.

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Let’s say Chelsea do sign Benrahma and we stay up, what about Hudson-Odoi on loan for a season? 

A player with massive potential, but needs games and appears to be getting frustrated at Chelsea.  

Agreed and given the signings they have/will be making perhaps a cheeky enquiry for Tammy as well? 

Interesting ideas floated on Smalling, I might be more tempted to offer Axel an escape route, myself.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I saw Cavani mentioned a few pages back. Whenever I’ve watched him, he always seems really lazy. Like Berbatov but without the added magical flair. 

Maybe I’ve only seen him on off days, but if he is a lazy player, that’s the last thing you want in a team fighting relegation.

Is the opposite for me, Cavani is a workhorse striker and runs all day but he misses way too many big chances for me for a top striker

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is the opposite for me, Cavani is a workhorse striker and runs all day but he misses way too many big chances for me for a top striker

I’ve only watched him in a handful of 90 minute games tbf, so maybe I’ve just watched him on a few of his diva days.

3 minutes ago, Villa94 said:

i wouldn't mind a few players with pl experience or who we actually know............no more wesley or nakamba type signings

Wesley and Nakamba signings are fine for the right price (£0-15m) and position (squad/ rotation option). 

I agree that we need some Prem experience though. Even if it’s to pad out the squad with some experience and leadership. Someone like Craig Dawson from Watford would be fine. Mings and Konsa could still be first choice if they continue to play well together, but then there’s always the option of an experienced pro to come in if the pressure gets too much for Konsa.

I think we probably need to look into utilising the loan market too. Again, as long as the deal is right and we’re not being overly reliant on loans (ie: Tammy, El Ghazi, Hause, Axel & Mings last season), then it just adds extra elements to the squad.

9 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Go get sarr from Watford

He always looks dangerous but there was a stat the other day that said he hadn't scored or assisted since the 3-0 win over Liverpool in February. Watford will also want stupid money considering they got him for 30m.

27 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Wesley and Nakamba signings are fine for the right price (£0-15m) and position (squad/ rotation option). 

I agree that we need some Prem experience though. Even if it’s to pad out the squad with some experience and leadership. Someone like Craig Dawson from Watford would be fine. Mings and Konsa could still be first choice if they continue to play well together, but then there’s always the option of an experienced pro to come in if the pressure gets too much for Konsa.

I think we probably need to look into utilising the loan market too. Again, as long as the deal is right and we’re not being overly reliant on loans (ie: Tammy, El Ghazi, Hause, Axel & Mings last season), then it just adds extra elements to the squad.

Agree with the sentiment, but there has to be value in a loan too. I believe the loan system has now, like everything in football, become heavily weighted to favour the ‘big’ clubs. These loans are coming with large fees and increasing number of clauses. This is especially true when loaning younger inconsistent ‘stars’.

I don’t think we’re opposed to loans as the Jan window saw. Reina and Drinkwater, and attempts for Giroud, Batshuayi and Slimani. We seem to be looking at loans with experience. Which makes sense to me, as you see value in paying the fee, as you ‘hopefully’ get ability rather than potential. 

I suppose you have to consider each target individually. But to take all loans off the table as an option does seem foolish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Replacing Grealish will be the toughest task in the transfer window. We simply won’t be able to sign a player with that much ability so we’ll need to replace him with 4 new players across the attack. 

Individually, they won’t be as good, but as a collective we may be able to become a stronger team if we spend the money wisely. 

Losing Grealish is going to be a hammer blow. It’s very rare teams sell their best players and become stronger for it. 

Not sure on that. It sounds logical but we tried that in 2016 replacing Benteke by signing loads of midfielders and wide players (and Gestede) and it was a massive failure.

You either replace Grealish with a top class international playmaker which is probably still beyond us even if we stay up or you get a Bunedia or Eze and also a good standard wide player so you then have two dangerous players in final third rather than every attacking move going through the number 10. A good quality striker will also help.

Signing Benrahama AND Eze sounds good to me rather than just one of them getting hyped up as the new Grealish and falling below expectations. We made that mistake before replacing Ashley Young with N'zogbia and Milner with Stephen Ireland.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Jorge Mended client and Mendes has links to Valencia board as well. If Wolves wanted him we wouldnt have a chance

He plays in similar way to likes of Diogo Jota and Neto who's looked good in patches so Wolves are pretty stacked in that area if they keep everyone. Other teams in world football do sign decent players from Portugal.😉

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

If Grealish was to go and we stay up, sign the following with the money:

Grant, Swift, Eze, Cantwell, Sibley

Probably best part of £60-70m right there, but would be money well spent. 

I have no issue with signing some of those but we badly need an experienced head or two aswell. Would still look weak in defence and big pressure on Karlan Grant to hit the ground running scoring. Think next season will still be a big effort to avoid relegation battle like this year if we stay up and lose Grealish.

If we somehow got all those in the championship then we'd walk the division and probably get 100 points.

4 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Exactly this. Sold Coutinho and bought Allison and VanDijk. Great business that made them title winners. If Grealish is to leave then we have to maximise the fee and then use it well for recruitment. It’s impossible to replace players like Grealish, don’t even try, and so you alter the way you’ve been playing and buy 2 or 3 good players to fit in. No good reason why we can’t improve as a team should Grealish move on. We evolve. There’s always a new hero. Yorkie left, Dion and Merson arrived. The king is dead, long live the new king! Embrace the future opportunities.

Liverpool seems to be the easy example but look at how they invested after selling Suarez, they signed Lovren, Markovic, Balotteli, Borini and Rickie Lambert for about 80m.

After selling Coutinho they signed Alisson, Brazil number one and Van Dijk who showed he had potential to be one of best CBs in the league so clear step up in quality.

I think we'll sign 5-6 in the summer, probably more if we go down. No problem with taking 2-3 punts on players from lower division but we badly need the other 2-3 to be experienced international standard players. Like in our 6th place teams when we signed likes of Petrov and Carew who added plenty to the existing squad.

Edit: We need to sign 2-3 players this summer who have potential to help us develop into a top 8 team in a few years time. It's not enough to be happy to be finishing 17th on the last day in five years time.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

Maybe being optimistic, but I don't think we're too far away from being a solid top 8/10 side challenging for Europe

If we stayed up (please), signed a top class Striker, Winger, CB (20-25m each) and convinced Grealish to stay with those signings, I think we would have a really good squad.

• Like 1

If we stay up I believe there is a chance that Jack might stay. All this talk of his imminent departure is probably largely drive by his agent and others hoping to move their own players about, as often one transfer leads to another few transfers. Add to that the bias nature of the media towards their perceived big clubs and of course anything to do with London and the story is somewhat skewed. I’m not saying there isn’t genuine interest or that he isn’t going but I doubt that it’s as clear cut as we’re lead to believe. 

In order to keep him and indeed attract other top quality players we need to show ambition and these days that comes with big expenditure. With the possible demise or at least weakening of ffp, now could be the ideal time to play catch up. We’ll have more idea of the true ambition of the owners over the next few weeks. First things first though, Sunday......

With or without Suso I think you have to look at the players who were supposedly first choice last year.

Phillips

Webster

Benrahma

Bowen

I think it shows where our thinking was and probably an inclination to what we will do this season if we stay up. Those 4 while untested in the prem would have seen us safe. Under 25 and top players in the championship.

if Brentford stay down we will go for Benrahma and I expect us to go for Eze who we were linked with. Also the likes of Matty Cash at Forest. 

• Like 2

The only way Grealish gets a move up is to Man city. Man United don't need him, will Liverpool go for him? Chelsea are fully stocked, Tottenham and Mourinho doesn't make sense for him. Arsenal well I can see us waving at them as we overtake them in a few seasons. 

Obviously we have to stay up otherwise he's outta here. 

My summer 2020 dream team so far. Based on nothing but what I would want to see happen. I'll be using transfer market valuations rounding up to the nearest 5 million

Statement signings: Neres - £35 million our right wing is our weakest position so our marquee signing should address that. He is young fast and skillful and whilst he is currently injured he likely may have already recovered since the Netherlands didn't resume their season. An article from January claimed he was close to a return so I think he is likely as close to fully fit as possible. 

Josh King: Valued at 15 million and Bournemouth's best player in my opinion. He would be the perfect signing for us. He is fast skillful and experienced so he should be able to hit the ground running and bring a bit more edge to our attack. He could play upfront or out wide allowing him to cover injuries and allow us to play wesley up front when he recovers. He is also an experienced second striker which may be able to get the best out of Wesley with runs in behind and nice interplay.

Denis Zakaria: 40 million Again out with a knee injury so his value may be down. He plays for borussia mönchengladbach who qualified for Europe so he may be hard to pry away from them. He is the ideal midfielder for us. He is 6'3 fast strong and skillful. We have really missed a big physical presence in the middle of the park and it has hindered us when defending and attacking set pieces as well. He has got 2 goals and 2 assists as a defensive midfielder which is pretty decent. He can also play as a centre back in a pinch. A midfield 3 of Luiz, Him and Mcginn/Grealish would be really good.

Together I imagine they would cost a combined 100 million and they would put our squad at least top 10 if we keep grealish.

Squad signings: Eberichi Eze: 10 million (I expect he would cost 15 to 20) he is a creative midfielder who could be a backup to grealish or play out wide. He grabs lots of goals and assists and he would be amazing to bring off the bench if we are chasing the game or he could be a competent starter. 

Mounir Chouiar: 10 million again and one of the hottest prospects in Europe. Scored 8 goals in 28 appearances this season including 4 goals in 20 in ligue 1. Dijon are in a bit of trouble financially so we could get him for cheap. He can play out wide and develop into a great player.

Nico Schulz: On loan from dortmund with an obligation to buy for 20 the season after. Got a current valuation of 11 million after playing only 11 games for dortmund this season. A fast and tall left back who we could play in games where we need to be more stout defensively and would probably start over targett for us.

Chris Smalling: Free his contract expires on the 2bd of August. He is a big strong experienced cb which we have missed this year. He is only 30 as well so we could give him a 3 or 4 year contract without worrying too much about him being too old. He has performed well in the Serie A this season and is a good enough cb to either be starting for us or be our 2nd back up. He would also provide a good locker room presence as he has finished 2nd with United.

Karlan Grant: 10 million. Practically kept Huddersfield up single handedly this season. Scored 5 goals for their anemic attack in the premier league in only 11 games and is only 22. He can play upfront or out wide having played and performed across the front 3 this season. He is fast (which we need) he can learn under josh king and he can be rotated in and play all the cup matches.

Total Spend: 140 million (just in case teams drive a hard bargain)

Starting 11

Heaton

Guilbert- - -Konsa-   -    -Mings- - -Schulz

Luiz-           -           - Zakaria

Neres-        -       - Grealish-       -        - Eze

King

Subs: Grant, Chouiar, McGinn, Hourihane, Smalling, Wesley, Targett, Elmo, Steer (maybe hause as well don't know how many subs allowed on the bench with the 5 subs rule) 

I'm confident that team can get top 10 and even challenge for Europe if rightly coached. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 2