Villan4Life

Agree with @Zatman and @Chindie

I originally thought he had bet on games where he was playing, but this isn't too far away. He definitely had insider knowledge that could guide his betting that wouldn't have been available to the general public, which is not even true betting.

All the true gambling addicts are out there betting on sports they don't know anything about, based on an online tips website, and playing online roulette and those virtual horse racing games.

This complete Agbonlahor was out there trying to get richer based on insider knowledge of his sport. If it was insider trading, he could go to prison.

For reference, two Brazilian jockeys in Hong Kong recently got banned for 10 and 12 months for helping facilitating and having one bet, respectively, on a horse the latter was riding on. Toney's "sentence" seems comparatively a bit light on that front.

• Like 1

I know there is a report due out sometime this year looking at betting in football. I helped - through some work I was doing - bring together some of the content for it. I haven’t seen it all but what I did learn shocked me. 

• Like 1

Only one loser here and that’s Brentford was hoping he would have been sold in the summer for big money the club will now sell him for considerably less as he has refused a new contract that has 2 years to run.Despite other clubs fans spewing their hate towards him they will be chanting his name if he was to sign for them.some of our own fans were chanting his name last week at spurs,I wasn’t one and hope he’s moved on asap as he’s a wrong un.From what I’m hearing this is the thin end of the wedge and the net is spreading and more players will be exposed ( not Brentford but other PL clubs).Despite his impressive goals record we can be just as good without him and remember we have never lost a PL game when he hasn’t played we have goals in Wissa Mbeumo and Shade and no doubt will sign another striker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Aww let’s all feel sorry for Ivan cos he’s got an addiction.

It’s not that he’s an entitled dickhead who thought he could flaunt the rules, it’s all the addictions fault.

When did we lose all sense of accountability in this country? The only way you can get addicted to gambling is by gambling, it’s not forced on anyone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Only one loser here and that’s Brentford was hoping he would have been sold in the summer for big money the club will now sell him for considerably less as he has refused a new contract that has 2 years to run.Despite other clubs fans spewing their hate towards him they will be chanting his name if he was to sign for them.some of our own fans were chanting his name last week at spurs,I wasn’t one and hope he’s moved on asap as he’s a wrong un.From what I’m hearing this is the thin end of the wedge and the net is spreading and more players will be exposed ( not Brentford but other PL clubs).Despite his impressive goals record we can be just as good without him and remember we have never lost a PL game when he hasn’t played we have goals in Wissa Mbeumo and Shade and no doubt will sign another striker.

Yeah, I wouldn't be overly worried if I was you, you guys recruit really well and Mbeumo and Wissa is a good combination. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Aww let’s all feel sorry for Ivan cos he’s got an addiction.

It’s not that he’s an entitled dickhead who thought he could flaunt the rules, it’s all the addictions fault.

When did we lose all sense of accountability in this country? The only way you can get addicted to gambling is by gambling, it’s not forced on anyone.

He was advised to play his get out of jail card I suspect. There are people who have that addiction, whose lives have been torn apart by it, but I really wonder if he really does. He's really gotten off incredibly lightly in my opinion, I wonder if Peter Swan, Tony Swan and David Layne, had tried to use that defence back in 1965, they would have got anything other than their life bans, somehow I very much doubt it. Seems we have gone very, very light on this, since then. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah well, Gareth still loves him, so he can at least take solace in having joined the right agency.

Incredible that the England manager has been allowed to be so vocal about this, isn't it?

One thing I would say on the addition thing is that I doubt the PL would have just taken a doctors word for it, as that can be manipulated. 

I watched the documentary with Merson and it really was a difficult watch, and I feel sorry for anyone with an addiction. But surely in situations like this, they would probably also have checked his betting history (I imagine everything in online these days) 

10 footy bets each game week for instance is not an addition, whereas lumping on dozens of random shit daily probably points to something else. 

You would like to think that the PL investigated this properly, and didn’t just “take someone’s word for it” 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

One thing I would say on the addition thing is that I doubt the PL would have just taken a doctors word for it, as that can be manipulated. 

I watched the documentary with Merson and it really was a difficult watch, and I feel sorry for anyone with an addiction. But surely in situations like this, they would probably also have checked his betting history (I imagine everything in online these days) 

10 footy bets each game week for instance is not an addition, whereas lumping on dozens of random shit daily probably points to something else. 

You would like to think that the PL investigated this properly, and didn’t just “take someone’s word for it” 

Without using this as part of his defence in court, the ban would have been at least the season. Addiction comes in many ranges, it would have been hard to truely rule it our.

On 26/05/2023 at 17:30, a-k said:

For reference, two Brazilian jockeys in Hong Kong recently got banned for 10 and 12 months for helping facilitating and having one bet, respectively, on a horse the latter was riding on. Toney's "sentence" seems comparatively a bit light on that front.

Given the amount of mob money in HK, I'd still say that was quite lenient. 

gambling addiction is no doubt pernicious and often by the time its discovered everything has been lost, toney is lucky this is not the case for him and he can turn things around. There was a great interview with Peter Shilton i read about a year ago and in 1979 after moving to Forest he was earning £1200 quid a week. He talked about how he had lost millions and felt really alone, in those days you called up the bookeis to gamble. Toney can still turn things around, he is much luckier than a lot of people who dont have his resources

7 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

What a great end to our season dare I say while you are rightly celebrating on yours but we were only 2 points off Villa.I think you have the resources to push on and challenge the top 6 next season especially now you have a top manager who now’s how to navigate teams in cup competitions.We have shown yet again there will be life without Toney although we will miss Raya next season despite having signed his replacement already.Will be back at Villa for the 3 rd season on the trot never thought that would ever happen in the PL

To be fair though you did have an 11 game head start 😁

I was pretty confident Brentford would beat man city that's why I was glad it was in our hands as theoretically didn't have to rely on anyone as there was no chance we'd get any favours!

• Haha 1

Â