Relegation thread

Knutserov13

The arsenal Watford game is gonna be tough.

Arteta had said they will be putting all their effort in the the fa Cup final on the 1st August as that's now their only chance of European football.

The fact they play Watford on the 26th and its a dead rubber game, I seriously hope they don't field a severely weekend team.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The thing that worries me now is our tendency to sit back and try to cling on, we often invite more and more pressure onto ourselves. We didn't do that last night though.

I think that was the biggest difference last night. The mentality was different, we didn’t rest on one goal even if we did drop back a little. The last 15 where we usually try our hardest to give the game away, we played well to the last whistle. I hope we maintain that concentration against West Ham.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think we’ll need to win, I can see both Bournemouth and Watford winning

I’ve a feeling a draw will be enough. But if we go into that game looking for anything other than a win, I can see us coming back with nothing.

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

My loudest exclamation of the night was definitely when Davis' chance slowly crept the wrong side of the post.

My missus said i made a noise that she has never heard in the 14 years together :crylaugh:

• Haha 2

I had just talked myself round into needing a draw as Bournemouth and Watford are both terrible. Now I'm worried about them winning again and us needing a win, or we're sitting on a draw in the last 15mins with everyone back in our box with crosses raining in and the spiral of nervousness begins. 

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

2015. Reach FA Cup Final and finish 17th.

2020. Reach League Cup Final- and finish 17th?.

So just a repeat of the the 2016 season to look forward to next year then? Righto

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Now I'm worried about them winning again and us needing a win, or we're sitting on a draw in the last 15mins with everyone back in our box with crosses raining in and the spiral of nervousness begins. 

The Spiral of Nervousness usually starts in August and ends in May for me every year.

Came on here last night excited to soak up the shared VT joy after *one of the biggest wins in our recent history*... to find posters slagging off KD for his "unacceptable" second half miss, and question "where was this attitude all season?!", among plenty of other negativity.

I guess some people just find it difficult to enjoy life's W's when they do come around.

Unbelievable we are now in this position, everyone in football had written us off including most of our own fanbase. Credit to Deano, credit to the players, credit to the fans who never stopped believing. UTV - on to Sunday!

• Like 4

Looks like there's not many people doing much work today, so I'll join in ;)

Think there is an argument for being wary on both the "other" games on Sunday to be honest.

Negatives;

Arsenal could have minds elsewhere and / or field a weakened side.

Bournemouth know that a win is their only chance of survival and have dangerous players going forward against a team with nothing really to play for. 

Positives;

The Deeney factor might see Arsenal more pumped than they would be in a game like this, they won't want to lose two on the spin, players playing for their cup final shirts.

Bournemouth when going forward could leave gaps for Everton's front line to exploit. Everton's home record is very good. Everton had a great win last time out at Sheffield Utd. A draw for us rules Bournemouth out of the equation.

Unfortunately unless Arsenal and Everton both go 2-0 up in the first 15 minutes I think it is going to be a real tense day, one I was hoping at the start of the season we wouldn't be involved in but one I was desperately hoping we were involved in over the last 6 weeks or so.

We have given ourselves a real fighting chance but it is far from over - We need to go out against West Ham with a view to getting the three points which would be extremely likely to be enough - Come on Villa, one last push!

• Like 2

Big game tonight really as well, if West Ham can get a point it’ll put them clear and will definitely change their mindset for Sunday, I mean they’re not in any real danger anyway unless they get done 10-0 tonight but better for them to be totally clear and relaxed I think.

All irrelevant if we just do our job of course but it would be a help.

Just hope V arse wasn't our day in the sun. Which often happens - you get a great result but can't rise to those levels a few days later.

All 3 teams still involved - pretty sure all 3 won't lose on Sunday.

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Big game tonight really as well, if West Ham can get a point it’ll put them clear and will definitely change their mindset for Sunday, I mean they’re not in any real danger anyway unless they get done 10-0 tonight but better for them to be totally clear and relaxed I think.

All irrelevant if we just do our job of course but it would be a help.

West Ham are safe. You can get odds of 750/1 of them going down. Even if they lose by a goal tonight, we'd then need to beat them by 6 goals (I think), while Watford and Bournemouth would both also need to win for them to go down.

That clearing in the woods Souness was talking in our last game about the relegation fight between Bournemouth and Watford, assuming we were already down with Norwich, and that Grealish is rubbish and all he ever does is dive.

It felt so good last night thinking about him sobbing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The thing that worries me now is our tendency to sit back and try to cling on, we often invite more and more pressure onto ourselves. We didn't do that last night though.

I think they've FINALLY got the message on that.  We literally can't do it so don't even try to do it. 

That's what me thought, but I'd rather them go into the Everton game having lost nine in a row away from home with the worry that they're due a win, rather than them going into that game having won in nine in a row away from home with the faint hope that they due a defeat. Last time they won away from was against Chelsea, which has been their only away win in the last twelve.

We just need to go in with the same mindset as last night. We win and we are safe. Nothing else matters.