Relegation thread

Knutserov13

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

All hands are on deck now. I can see Smith deviating from his usual style for this particular game.

Not a chance I would be absolutely amazed if Smith changed tactics! Not capable imo.

3 hours ago, peterw said:

Its far from all over but making up 4 points from 3 games is likely to be a step too far. Tonight is everything, though. Over the next two games we need to just have a better points return than watford and/or West Ham. if we can go into the last game at West ham with it in our own hands that's all we can ask for. I think a West ham win would be the best for us v Watford, because Wtaford have two difficult games after that, and it's conceivable that they'd lose all 3, or at best pick up 1 point. A relaxed on holiday West ham would be better than a nervy west ham, who know that keeping it tight would probably be enough for them.

But it all starts tonight. All hope rests with 3 points. Saying that 1 would be okay if Watford lose. Then everything would be on us trying to win at West ham and still in ouch. I think we've gone and would be surprised if we got any more than 1 or at best, 2 points from the last 3. But, whilst there's hope...

The thing is, West Ham won’t be relaxed and on the beach if they beat Watford. Their following game is at Man Utd, who are going full tilt for top4. So the very real likelihood is that they’d need something from the final game against us. Best result for us is Watford win or draw, Watford win preferably for me. Two draws and a win at West Ham might then be enough, depending on what Bournemouth do. The best way is for Villa to win all three of our remaining games, do that and we stay up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m normally positive. But let’s be realistic. We know there ain’t a chance in hell we are staying up! 

Optimists searching for a rebuttal to this assertation like... 

Zach Galifianakis Reaction GIF

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

We have run out of goodwill from the football gods re other results going our way.

I think they are now pissed off with us for not taking their help.

Max they will prob do now is throw a few decisions in game our way if we are doing well.

All that matters now is what we do on the pitch.

• Haha 1

Oldest cliche in the football world but we just need to take it one game at a time. Three points tonight will be our sole focus.
The last time we played Everton, I was on holiday and we won. I am also on holiday now. Gotta be a sign.......

We do have a chance tonight. They are better than us but with very little to play for so we may be able to take advantage. City, who also have nothing to play for, were truly awful last night. COYVB. Make us believe (hope) for a bit longer.

13 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

The West Ham vs Watford match is a strange one. It's not obvious which is the best result for us. Bottom line is we need 5 points to have a chance of staying up. If we were to draw 2 and beat West Ham then that would put us on 35 points. A result either way would need to happen or we would all be on 35 and we would pretty certainly go down on GD. If we get 2 wins from our remaining 3, we're on 36 and then I think a draw may suit us. 7 or 9 points would be an absolute dream (beating the 🔨  of course!) 

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

0-0 or a Watford win are the two bes t results for us

8 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Depends on our result against Everton. If it was a draw then we definitely need Watford to lose. But hopefully we win. It will still be sweet if Brighton lose their next two. If we can somehow get 4 points from the next two. Then we can rely on thee two results instead of one.

To be honest the more I think, the more nervous I get. Let’s keep those nerves for the game.

3 hours ago, peterw said:

Its far from all over but making up 4 points from 3 games is likely to be a step too far. Tonight is everything, though. Over the next two games we need to just have a better points return than watford and/or West Ham. if we can go into the last game at West ham with it in our own hands that's all we can ask for. I think a West ham win would be the best for us v Watford, because Wtaford have two difficult games after that, and it's conceivable that they'd lose all 3, or at best pick up 1 point. A relaxed on holiday West ham would be better than a nervy west ham, who know that keeping it tight would probably be enough for them.

But it all starts tonight. All hope rests with 3 points. Saying that 1 would be okay if Watford lose. Then everything would be on us trying to win at West ham and still in ouch. I think we've gone and would be surprised if we got any more than 1 or at best, 2 points from the last 3. But, whilst there's hope...

3 hours ago, rubberman said:

I'd prefer a West ham win. Better to play them when they're safe than when it's all on the line. (assuming other results etc) 

43 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

The thing is, West Ham won’t be relaxed and on the beach if they beat Watford. Their following game is at Man Utd, who are going full tilt for top4. So the very real likelihood is that they’d need something from the final game against us. Best result for us is Watford win or draw, Watford win preferably for me. Two draws and a win at West Ham might then be enough, depending on what Bournemouth do. The best way is for Villa to win all three of our remaining games, do that and we stay up. 

I think these posts pretty much sums up the point I was making regarding it being hard to pick the best result in the West Ham V's Watford game. 

• If you are of the opinion (and convinced) that Watford will lose to both Man City and Arsenal then you would take a West Ham victory all day long and hope that we can finish above Bournemouth.
  • If you would prefer a Watford win then you are of the assumption that West Ham will lose to a fired-up United and we can take them on in a final day shoot-out - And again hope to finish above Bournemouth.
  • If you want a draw then I think you are hoping to keep both teams "in the mix" on final day, which I understand why people would want, yet if this happens, then it means we definitely need 2 wins as opposed to 2 draws and 1 win.

Part of me wishes we had lost to Palace (not really) because we would not still have this hope to cling on to, and it's the hope that kills you.

Worryingly, Skybet currently have us and Bournemouth at 1/7 which alludes to them thinking it is all over - I would love to see how the odds would change if we were to pick up 3 points tonight - Come on Villa, we can do this! 🙏

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

If we go down on 37 points then so be it. I would be ecstatic if we got that many points. I see us getting another 3 to 5 at best.

There is no good amount to get relegated on but the good thing about 37 points is you haven’t disgraced yourself with a 30-point season BUT it’s not like going down on 41 points and being devastated, because we all know if you don’t get 40 points you kind of deserve to drop. Of course not sure that helps either way!

Liverpool twice, Arsenal, Spurs twice City away. Cup final etc. If our rivals even complete a pass in the final third, they're "showing bottle", "fighting for their lives" etc. It's exhausting.

You think we played well and narrowly lost those games?

Liverpool twice, Arsenal, Spurs twice City away. Cup final etc. If our rivals even complete a pass in the final third, they're "showing bottle", "fighting for their lives" etc. It's exhausting.

every team does it though. there have been a good few links on here to other forums where rival fans reckon we're staying up and their own team has no hope. all AFCB fans in my office reckon they're done now, despite their fighting performance last night

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I think these posts pretty much sums up the point I was making regarding it being hard to pick the best result in the West Ham V's Watford game. 

• If you are of the opinion (and convinced) that Watford will lose to both Man City and Arsenal then you would take a West Ham victory all day long and hope that we can finish above Bournemouth.
  • If you would prefer a Watford win then you are of the assumption that West Ham will lose to a fired-up United and we can take them on in a final day shoot-out - And again hope to finish above Bournemouth.
  • If you want a draw then I think you are hoping to keep both teams "in the mix" on final day, which I understand why people would want, yet if this happens, then it means we definitely need 2 wins as opposed to 2 draws and 1 win.

Part of me wishes we had lost to Palace (not really) because we would not still have this hope to cling on to, and it's the hope that kills you.

Worryingly, Skybet currently have us and Bournemouth at 1/7 which alludes to them thinking it is all over - I would love to see how the odds would change if we were to pick up 3 points tonight - Come on Villa, we can do this! 🙏

I think it depends what we do first. If we beat Everton then I'd be hoping for a draw between Watford and West Ham to keep the both as close as possible.

If we don't win tonight then I'd be hoping for a victory either way in the Friday night game, but I'd prefer a Watford win because I think they'll get points from Man City and/or Arsenal, whereas West Ham will most likely get beaten by a Man Utd side battling for 4th. In that case we would be able to take it to the last game with only 1 (but needing a big swing in GD), 2 or 3 points from Everton and Arsenal combined.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Starting to think it's better for us if West Ham batter Watford.

Or they play out a shite, confidence draining narrow 1 - 0 either way.

At first I was thinking a draw.

But a loss keeps one closer to us.

Obviously counts for nothing if we don't win.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

42 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I think it depends what we do first. If we beat Everton then I'd be hoping for a draw between Watford and West Ham to keep the both as close as possible.

If we don't win tonight then I'd be hoping for a victory either way in the Friday night game, but I'd prefer a Watford win because I think they'll get points from Man City and/or Arsenal, whereas West Ham will most likely get beaten by a Man Utd side battling for 4th. In that case we would be able to take it to the last game with only 1 (but needing a big swing in GD), 2 or 3 points from Everton and Arsenal combined.

That's exactly where I am at mate👍

• Like 1