Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The government is seriously considering a period of near National Lockdown in the next few weeks but with a theme that if we can get the virus down we can have a normal(ish) Christmas.     

It would be in keeping with the exceptionally short-term, populist thinking of this government and its 'advisors'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The government is seriously considering a period of near National Lockdown in the next few weeks but with a theme that if we can get the virus down we can have a normal(ish) Christmas.      

Unless there is a full fat lockdown I just down see the numbers coming down. People still going about their business, days out, nights out, pubs, restaurants, gyms, shopping, everything.

Even in tier 3 people can still do all of the above with the exception of gyms but they will no doubt find a way to rebrand as a social club to stay open.

Edited by Genie

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

Unless there is a full fat lockdown I just down see the numbers coming down. People still going about their business, days out, nights out, pubs, restaurants, gyms, shopping, everything.

Even in tier 3 people can still do all of the above with the exception of gyms but they will no doubt find a way to rebrand as a social club to stay open.

Wrong, they can go to the gym now

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Wrong, they can go to the gym now

Yep they can, I’m in Tier 3 and my gym has only been ordered to cancel exercise classes. The gym itself and swimming pool are still open. Numbers are limited and equipment is cleaned down regularly, but that doesn’t stop the transmission of aerosols filling the place up. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yep they can, I’m in Tier 3 and my gym has only been ordered to cancel exercise classes. The gym itself and swimming pool are still open. Numbers are limited and equipment is cleaned down regularly, but that doesn’t stop the transmission of aerosols filling the place up. 

This is correct, and for this reason it is fairly baffling to me that gyms are allowed to be open. The superspreader event at SpinCo in Hamilton, Ontario eventually led to nearly 100 cases:

The gym wiped down surfaces religiously between classes, but patrons were allowed to take their masks off when they were actually on the bikes and exercising (!!!).

(This is another example, by the way, of a time when the focus on surfaces rather than aerosols led to a big outbreak)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is correct, and for this reason it is fairly baffling to me that gyms are allowed to be open.

Well oop here, gyms weren't allowed to open at first and the backlash against that was substantial. I'm talking graffitti appearing overnight and in quite a lot of places. We've also had gym owners publically saying they were going to defy the order, did so, were fined and still carried on

Then neighbouring West Lancs went into tier 3, except their gyms could open. So our leaders went back to the government to plead for the gyms to be reopened because they'd behaved unlike that naughty Manchester bunch and the gyms were duly allowed to reopen

Its all about voter demographics and not science as far as I can see

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well oop here, gyms weren't allowed to open at first and the backlash against that was substantial. I'm talking graffitti appearing overnight and in quite a lot of places. We've also had gym owners publically saying they were going to defy the order, did so, were fined and still carried on

Then neighbouring West Lancs went into tier 3, except their gyms could open. So our leaders went back to the government to plead for the gyms to be reopened because they'd behaved unlike that naughty Manchester bunch and the gyms were duly allowed to reopen

Its all about voter demographics and not science as far as I can see

Yeah, that sounds about right. And I suppose there are genuine considerations and trade-offs here as well, about the mental and physical health benefits of exercise and the difficulty of doing them at home or outside in the dark during a British winter, that I can't just handwave away.

• Like 1

Here in Perth ( West Australia ) they closed the borders streight away ( the border between WA and the eastern states ) and regional borders and the end result was that the COVID19 virus was a non event.

The interstate borders are still closed but all the regional borders are now open.For about 6 weeks you could not even go to a family members funeral/wedding 21st etc but,as I say above the virus ended up bieng a non event in WA although Victoria and NSW still have it quite bad but those states did not close their interstate or regional borders. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. And I suppose there are genuine considerations and trade-offs here as well, about the mental and physical health benefits of exercise and the difficulty of doing them at home or outside in the dark during a British winter, that I can't just handwave away.

Further to that, and to this:

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The gym wiped down surfaces religiously between classes, but patrons were allowed to take their masks off when they were actually on the bikes and exercising (!!!).

(This is another example, by the way, of a time when the focus on surfaces rather than aerosols led to a big outbreak)

Gyms with air con (non-recirculating) are a different enviro to those in some lock up with no ventilation or air cleaning. It's not about a mistake in wiping down surfaces instead of focusing on aerosols - both need to happen. My take would be that places with good air scrubbing/replacement/ventilation (for want of a better word) should be treated differently to those without.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I wonder if COVID 19 will effect Halloween ? 

Are kids still going to go knocking on strangers doors for sweets. 

It would be illegal, here in Tier 3 lockidownland , Opp Norf UK

File under another benefit of the pandemic

5 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

That's essentially official policy in Ireland. NPHET have said that this 6 week lockdown will be lifted for xmas with the strong likelihood of another in the new year.  

Epidemiological nonsense rules the world.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I wonder if COVID 19 will effect Halloween ? 

Are kids still going to go knocking on strangers doors for sweets. 

We’ll be tier 2 by tomorrow morning. The local area here are leaving bagged sweets outside their houses for the kids to come and collect. No knocking of doors.

People who are partaking are setting up a little table outside with pumpkins and decorations and grab and go sweet bags.

Edited by Genie

Mother of all traffic jams last night around Paris with the queues totaling a combined 700 kilometres as people were getting out of town to their country houses and such before the new lockdown. 

I popped out to Tesco at about 6 last night. There were signs up everywhere advising alcohol sales aren't permitted after 21:00. The entire beer and cider aisle was literally bare, other than a few tins of budget shite. And we're talking about a big supermarket with several bays of beer, not a small shop.

Not quite what they were aiming for, I'd wager.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1

England currently worse than the worst case scenario

Covid is spreading "significantly" faster through England than even the government's predicted "worst-case" scenario, documents reveal. 

The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) says there are around four times as many people catching Covid than anticipated.

A "reasonable worst-case scenario" is used by officials and the NHS to plan for the months ahead.

It had estimated 85,000 deaths from Covid over the course of winter. 

But an official Sage document, dated 14 October and published today, reveals we are in a worse position than expected. 

Scientists crunching the numbers estimated that, by mid-October, there were between 43,000 and 74,000 people being infected with coronavirus every day in England.

Their report said: "This is significantly above the profile of the reasonable worst-case scenario, where the number of daily infections in England remained between 12,000-13,000 throughout October."

It added that the number of people with Covid needing hospital care is already higher than the winter plan and deaths will "almost certainly" exceed the plan in the next two weeks. 

However, this is not the same as saying more than 85,000 people will die this winter. Government action can still change the course of the pandemic.

I love the last sentence, I think if the government change the course of the pandemic it will be to make it even worse

Bbc link

Â