Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Not sure I've found the corresponding legislation that indicates what the law does and doesn't allow.

Yes, I've found the corresponding legislation and that doesn't, as far as I can see, have a list of speciofic items that can or cannot be sold.

Edit:

Link to page with link to pdf

The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No. 3) (Wales) Regulations 2020

Edited by snowychap

Going back to the guidance (and not the regulations) and it includes this gem:

In any cases where there may be doubt as to whether a product can be sold (for example as to whether a product for the home is truly a necessity) shops will be expected to use their best endeavours to consider what should be available.

That's up there with Johnson's crap about common sense.

• Like 1

I was watching Geth

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It seems that some people can get multiple strains of the virus but reinfection has been a very rare phenomenon.

I keep seeing this being written yet personally know three people who've had it twice, where is the evidence for this being a quite rare phemonenon?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Was there? Where would one find that?

Edit:

Ah, I've found their 'guidance' page on what they say should and shouldn't happen but it took some doing down several steps and several links (and it's still very wishy washy! see below).

Not sure I've found the corresponding legislation that indicates what the law does and doesn't allow.

Yep, sorry we’ve overlapped there.

There’s a fair bit put there, and what ‘we’ have to remember is the stores, large individual stores and members of ACS have also had direct meetings.

So, you get things like some individual managers of ‘Filco’ deciding to cordon off all their birthday cards and complain about loss of trade. But the govt have pointed out if you ‘need’ a birthday card for a 4 year old or 88 year old Aunt Mable that’s an important time sensitive purchase and they had already briefed the shops that cards could be sold. 

I bought socks and gloves in Screwfix today. 

I bought a toothbrush.

I’ve bought petrol.

I’ve got amazon to deliver a bottle of red to a house in Swansea.

I’ve posted a birthday card.

Zero drama.

I’m sounding very much like I’m defending them. It’s not what I would have done, but bloody hell surely we can go 14 days without a Yankee candle?

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, sorry we’ve overlapped there.

There’s a fair bit put there, and what ‘we’ have to remember is the stores, large individual stores and members of ACS have also had direct meetings.

So, you get things like some individual managers of ‘Filco’ deciding to cordon off all their birthday cards and complain about loss of trade. But the govt have pointed out if you ‘need’ a birthday card for a 4 year old or 88 year old Aunt Mable that’s an important time sensitive purchase and they had already briefed the shops that cards could be sold. 

I bought socks and gloves in Screwfix today. 

I bought a toothbrush.

I’ve bought petrol.

I’ve got amazon to deliver a bottle of red to a house in Swansea.

I’ve posted a birthday card.

Zero drama.

I’m sounding very much like I’m defending them. It’s not what I would have done, but bloody hell surely we can go 14 days without a Yankee candle?

Yep, on Saturday morning I woke up and realised I’d forgotten my nephews birthday....yep, I’m a shite uncle. They live 150 miles away in South Wales and within an hour I had balloons and a card hand delivered from a local shop and a delivery from Argos which arrived in the evening.

People lose their minds though and the media are happy to whip them up.

• Like 1

They sound like a right pair of clearings in the woods, but it's pretty funny

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/25/dad-tries-to-shop-in-pants-after-clothes-deemed-non-essential-in-wales-13477767/

A man was thrown out of a supermarket after he tried to do his weekly shop just in boxers and a face mask. Chris Noden, 38, was stopped by security staff as he tried to push his trolley into the Tesco store in Newport, south Wales. His wife Dawn, 33, filmed him as he tried to access the store saying: ‘Clothes are non essential – let him in.’

Joker in Wales shops in his pants because clothes are 'non essential'

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s not what I would have done, but bloody hell surely we can go 14 days without a Yankee candle?

I was would have been worried about this, but if you really need one you should be allowed to buy one apparently. They may as well have enshrined "Just don't be a dick" in law. It's lovely to think that could work, but it's all just a bit of a mess. I agree with you that it's not the end of the world and most people will manage just fine for a couple of weeks, but bad regulations properly wind me up and encourage the kind of inconsistent enforcement and nonsense that undermines the whole effort, IMO.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, on Saturday morning I woke up and realised I’d forgotten my nephews birthday....yep, I’m a shite uncle. They live 150 miles away in South Wales and within an hour I had balloons and a card hand delivered from a local shop and a delivery from Argos which arrived in the evening.

People lose their minds though and the media are happy to whip them up.

I just find it fascinating the tat that the media decide we need to see front and centre for 4 days, against the stuff that isn’t considered worth reporting.

Track n trace...

chart-1-positive-cases-eligible-for-foll

Not seen a single tory briefing the media about these figures.

Not seen any mention of it on the news.

If you didn’t know any better, you’d imagine the english figures quoted constantly, are the UK figures.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

surely we can go 14 days without a Yankee candle?

You've made this 'point' in your previous post by talking about a wok.

It's real straw man stuff and utterly misses the point about legal sanctions* that have been put in place and the accompanying government guidance which has the bit in it that I posted earlier, without getting in to what is actually the law and what should be policed, who does it and how.

It's utter tripe. It is absolutely no way at all to legislate. It's as bad, if not worse, than the way the UK government has been legislating for England with its regulations.

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I agree with you that it's not the end of the world and most people will manage just fine for a couple of weeks, but bad regulations properly wind me up and encourage the kind of inconsistent enforcement and nonsense that undermines the whole effort, IMO.

Absolutely. And this can be written off as not the end of the world as much as people want but someone may well end up on the receiving end of a fine, a legal sanction or, at worst, a criminal record because of loosely worded 'guidance' about best **** endeavours.

If you're going to put in to law that doing x means that you'll get a fine or worse then make sodding sure that 'x' is as clear as possible and not just down to someone's whim.

On 26/10/2020 at 10:12, LondonLax said:

It seems that some people can get multiple strains of the virus but reinfection has been a very rare phenomenon. I suspect the most likely end game is that the virus becomes endemic in global society with new strains circulating each winter and medical authorities trying to suppress them with seasonal vaccines. 

And today it is reported that the percentage of people with antibodies in the UK is falling. Not good news

Coronavirus antibody prevalence falling in England, REACT study shows

Tests on more than 365,000 people in England have shown that the antibody response to the virus that causes COVID-19 wanes over time.

Led by Imperial College London, analysis of finger-prick tests carried out at home between 20 June and 28 September found that the number of people testing positive dropped by 26.5% across the study period, from almost 6% to 4.4%.

The downward trend was observed in all areas of the country and age groups, but not in health workers, which could indicate repeated or higher initial exposure to the virus, the authors suggest. The decline was largest in people aged 75 and above compared to younger people, and also in people with suspected rather than confirmed infection, indicating that the antibody response varies by age and with the severity of illness

"Our study shows that over time there is a reduction in the proportion of people testing positive for antibodies. It remains unclear what level of immunity antibodies provide, or for how long this immunity lasts."

Prof Paul Elliott study author, Imperial College London.

Imp Col (more on link)

So Conservative Peer in Spectator talking unscientific bollocks shocker.

Increased controls here, mandatory for the next 4 weeks that I wear a mask at work all day in the office, open windows for meetings etc

Also just popped to the shop, they've made the street the supermarket is on a mask zone where you have to wear one, also stuck 2 cops on that street... Saw someone get a 150€ fine for no mask and someone else get a warning for the mask not being over their nose 

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Increased controls here, mandatory for the next 4 weeks that I wear a mask at work all day in the office, open windows for meetings etc

Also just popped to the shop, they've made the street the supermarket is on a mask zone where you have to wear one, also stuck 2 cops on that street... Saw someone get a 150€ fine for no mask and someone else get a warning for the mask not being over their nose 

I am all for shooting those who wear below the nose. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

And today it is reported that the percentage of people with antibodies in the UK is falling. Not good news

Imp Col (more on link)

So Conservative Peer in Spectator talking unscientific bollocks shocker.

I wouldn’t say that, it’s pretty evident we get protection for a period of time before the effects start to wear off for some people. If you circulate the virus amongst students now than that is a big chunk of society that is then immune when they go home to visit older relatives at Christmas. 

If you did get a chance the rest of the article also is worth a read through. There are a few other points that I thought were interesting.

Edited by LondonLax

Â