Generic Virus Thread

villakram

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

189 cases per 100,000 in Tamworth now. Tier 3 here we come.

This is quite a good indicator of rates compared to elsewhere:

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

By comparison, my postcode district (PO1) had 91 cases for the 7 days up to 22nd October (Tamworth Central had 20).  There are a number of measures used to determine what tier each authority sits in it seems - number of hospital admissions, spread amongst the community etc.  For my postcode district I suspect it is skewed by having the University (at least I hope so!), and why Portsmouth isn't now in Tier 2.   

Edited by trekka
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Staffordshire is going into Tier 2 apparently. 

South Staffordshire is up to a rate of 349 which has come as a surprise (England rate being 213, West Mids being 212 and Staffordshire being 239).

Edit or 364 according to the Express & Star

South Staffordshire now has the highest rate in the region at 364.7 cases per 100,000 in the seven days to October 23, while Dudley's rate rose to 222.6 over the same period.

Express & Star link

Edited by Mark Albrighton

14 hours ago, bickster said:

My area is down to 36th in the chart with about 400 per 100,000

(I know you're not in Liverpool exactly, but might be indicative of a wider easing in the region, not sure) The numbers for Liverpool looking better now, outside the student population:

ElW68qZWoAInrKS?format=png&name=medium

Hospital admissions also seem to be stabilising:

ElW9dOpWkAA6H07?format=png&name=small

Birmingham's numbers are not looking great: the increase among the student population seems to be tailing off, but amongst the general population very much on the rise:

ElZdcCBXIAE-CcL?format=png&name=medium

Graphs from this useful thread, with links to data sources: https://twitter.com/danielhowdon/status/1321167694692032514

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

(I know you're not in Liverpool exactly, but might be indicative of a wider easing in the region, not sure) The numbers for Liverpool looking better now, outside the student population:

Are those figures for Liverpool City Region or Liverpool Council Area? because latest Liverpool figure across all ages was 480 and falling. We're on 408 and falling, the lowest in the region apart from Wirral (299). Knowsley was the highest (in the 500+ region). The thing is, Liverpool has all the Universities and I'd wager, very much the highest BAME population.

So Liverpool falling is good news as it very probably acts as the controlling area in terms of spread, due to demographics and it's importance to the region.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Are those figures for Liverpool City Region or Liverpool Council Area? because latest Liverpool figure across all ages was 480 and falling. We're on 408 and falling, the lowest in the region apart from Wirral (299). Knowsley was the highest (in the 500+ region). The thing is, Liverpool has all the Universities and I'd wager, very much the highest BAME population.

So Liverpool falling is good news as it very probably acts as the controlling area in terms of spread, due to demographics and it's importance to the region.

Not sure TBH - I assumed the latter, but can't see evidence in the thread.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not sure TBH - I assumed the latter, but can't see evidence in the thread.

I know, its a pain in the arse. I wish they'd refer to Liverpool city Region as the Mersey something or other and not Liverpool, its a pain in the arse for stuff like this

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, blandy said:

Hightown & Thornton Seven days to 22 October 2020

Total cases

90arrow43 (91.5%)

Rolling rate

from https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

Absolutely nonsensical pairing of suburbs. There is really no connection between the two. Not even in the same postcode, miles of nothing but fields and trees between them. We're much closer to Formby than Thornton or Crosby. I'll also wager most of those numbers are from Thornton

EDIT: not only that but Ince Blundell which is between Hightown and Thornton (sort of)  is in Fomby which is 16 cases (down by  9)

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Bristol has gone full on Bristol and declared itself to be in Tier 1+, inventing a whole new tier for itself outside of the governments approved tiers

People are going out of their way to not do what Boris and co are “telling” them to.

First it was Scotland, Wales and NI. Now it’s the towns and cities of England.

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

People are going out of their way to not do what Boris and co are “telling” them to.

I really don't think that is the case. No-one is going out of their way to not do what they are being told by Government. What we have is local / national leaders doing what they think is right for the region they are running. The majority of these decisions go further than what the Govt are telling them. the only one I'm aware of so far in Manchester that didn't and that was essentially a decision about support not the measures to be taken.

Just now, bickster said:

I really don't think that is the case. No-one is going out of their way to what they are being tolf by Government. What we have is local / national leaders doing whwt they think is right for the region they are running. The majority of these decisions go further than what the Govt are telling them. the only one I'm aware of so far in Manchester that didn't and that was essentially a decision about support not the measures to be taken.

But they are doing something different to what the leaders are advising?

This suggests that they think the people in charge are wrong and they are not aligned to the advice being cascaded.

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

This suggests that they think the people in charge are wrong and they are not aligned to the advice being cascaded.

Correct but that isn't what you said in the first post at all

1 hour ago, Genie said:

1 hour ago, Genie said:

But of course the Tory Westminster government's political opponents are acting in some degree of opposition to the government; this is their 'role', and it is in their interests.

These two posts read slightly strangely to me, like Johnson is Saisbury's Head Office and Burnham is Sainsbury's North-West region. Politics and business are not the same; regional devolution is not simply a case of 'acting on' advice that has been 'cascaded'.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

These two posts read slightly strangely to me, like Johnson is Saisbury's Head Office and Burnham is Sainsbury's North-West region. Politics and business are not the same; regional devolution is not simply a case of 'acting on' advice that has been 'cascaded'

So why are the Government bothering then? Why not just ask the regions to sort it out themselves? 

Just now, Genie said:

So why are the Government bothering then? Why not just ask the regions to sort it out themselves? 

There is a complex blame game under way, in which both sides are trying to position any rise in either cases or financial hardship as the other side's fault.

• Like 2

Â