Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There is a complex blame game under way, in which both sides are trying to position any rise in either cases or financial hardship as the other side's fault.

Yeah, I get that. It was the comment “regional devolution is not simply a case of 'acting on' advice that has been 'cascaded' which confused me. That’s exactly how it should work isn’t it? 
The fact that the regions are challenging it is the point I’m making, because they don’t have confidence in the people at the top.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, I get that. It was the comment “regional devolution is not simply a case of 'acting on' advice that has been 'cascaded' which confused me. That’s exactly how it should work isn’t it? 
The fact that the regions are challenging it is the point I’m making, because they don’t have confidence in the people at the top.

Back in March, the operation of normal, everyday politics froze somewhat as we entered something approximating a 'state of emergency'. The sensible political calculation on all sides was to appear united, as one, and the application of a one-size-fits-all national lockdown helped that.

Now the sense of emergency has long since dwindled, and the imposition of local lockdowns naturally disadvantages people and businesses within those areas with restrictions. The central government wants to avoid setting an expensive precedent in terms of financial support, and intends to use the rising cases in metropolitan areas as a lever to force local leaders to meekly accept sub-par financial packages; local leaders want to use the threat of financial disaster to squeeze more money out of government, but are handicapped by the possibility they may be blamed for rising case numbers. Central government can only pass on the blame to local leaders if it they seem to be active participants in the process, which is why the emphasis on 'dialogue', 'meetings', 'Burnham just refused to do it' etc. They could just pass a law if the actual restrictions were more important than the blame game.

The point I'm making is that these dynamics were inevitable the minute we shifted from national measures to regional ones; it could never have worked any other way. Regional government must always exist in some degree of tension with national government, because they have conflicting aims. That's why I say it's not simply a case of 'acting on advice'.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Who does?

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Who does?

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the figures are comparing the last 7 days with the 7 days before that. 

In the 7 days ending 23/10 there were 16 more cases than thd 7 days ending 16/10. 

In the 7 days ending 22/10  there were 43 more cases than the 7 days ending 15/10. 

Its not a daily trend. 

• Like 1

I think I may need to go back to online shopping again and getting my food delivered.  I've just popped to the local Co-Op and nobody sticks to the one-way system, a few people were not wearing masks and to be frank, I did not feel safe with the rate in my postcode.  

Quite sad that we have gone back to this.  

Edited by trekka

France into a 2nd national lockdown from Friday (including people having to fill in forms if they need to leave their homes) now reported on the BBC:

French President Emmanuel Macron has announced a second national lockdown for at least the whole of November.

Mr Macron said under the new measures, starting on Friday, people would only be allowed to leave home for essential work or medical reasons.

Non-essential businesses, such as restaurants and bars, will close, but schools and factories will remain open.

Covid daily deaths in France are at the highest level since April. On Tuesday, 33,000 new cases were confirmed.

Mr Macron said the country risked being "overwhelmed by a second wave that no doubt will be harder than the first".

The president said that people would need to fill in a form to justify leaving their homes, as was required in the initial lockdown in March.

Classic loophole 

01-EE7640-8-E2-C-4610-B712-7-FB75-E062-A

Link BBC

An apparent loophole in government rules has caused confusion over whether social clubs are subject to tier three Covid restrictions on serving alcohol.

In areas placed in tier three, pubs and bars must close unless they are serving substantial meals.

But some social clubs are continuing to serve alcohol to members without a substantial meal after their local councils told them it was permitted.

The Department for Health and Social Care has been contacted for comment.

The British Beer and Pub Association's chief executive Emma McClarkin said the organisation was "aware of this inconsistency and are raising it with government to get clarity". 

"Given the circumstances they find themselves in, it is vital, more than ever, that pubs have a level-playing field with clear guidance," she added.

There are thousands of members clubs across England, including Conservative clubs, working men's clubs and sports clubs.

Councils in Wirral, Preston and Fylde have all advised social clubs that the discrepancy exists because they hold club premises certificates and not premises licences.

The tier three regulations, which came into effect earlier this month, appear not to include private members clubs because they operate under a different law which means, in effect, the members own the drink already. 

Preston Council posted advice stating membership based social clubs "do not sell alcohol, instead they supply alcohol to their members".

"Therefore the requirement to close does not apply to these premises and nor do these premises need to provide a substantial meal to club members or their guests when they are drinking".

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Classic loophole 

01-EE7640-8-E2-C-4610-B712-7-FB75-E062-A

Link BBC

Compare and contrast.

https://www.mynottinghamnews.co.uk/nottingham-and-nottinghamshire-move-to-tier-3-very-high-restrictions-for-covid-19/

Alcohol sales must be prohibited after 9pm where alcohol is purchased to consume off premises, for example shops. Alcohol can continue to be purchased in hospitality venues where accompanying a substantial meal, up until 10pm.

These clearings in the woods are making it up as they go along. 

france is back in lockdown from friday

we have ange give a speech yesterday, we have a 4 week soft lockdown, gyms, restaurants and bars are shut again, hotels shut, not allowed to meet up in a group bigger than 10 but only from 2 households

biggest impact for me so far is playing football is banned 😒 got a meeting at 10 to see what my office wants to do about it, they'll probably so no travel to site or external meetings, doubt i'll be working from home again

13 hours ago, Genie said:

I was in the shop earlier and overheard a bloke chatting with the shopkeeper, he was saying we shouldn’t have any restrictions imposed until the Nightingale hospitals were full 😐

Have they ever showed the inside of the nightingale hospitals on the news or in any of the red tops?

I remember seeing some photos when they were building them but nothing of the completed 'hospitals'. They must be pretty basic

Â