Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is just shutting shops and pubs, thats it.

Shutting the stuff that isn't really causing the huge increases and keeping the stuff that is causing the increase open

I read a thing a couple of weeks ago - pubs were a significant source of spreading - 9.8% of new infections were directly traced back to pubs.Christ knows how many consequential "chain" infections then ensued. And in addition, the case of Bolton was explained - when Bolton went into Lockdown/Tier 3 whatever, and the pubs were shut there, local taxi firms were inundated with journeys of an evening to Wigan, taking Bolton people to nights out on the lash. Wigan then saw a big surge in cases.

Of course other causes may be worse, but I don't think it's right that pubs aren't a factor big enough to leave alone to carry on, if the Gov't wants to get R back below 1.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm curious how support bubbles factor in to this, because if they're banning in home mixing including support bubbles, they can get ****. 

Home mixing is bound to go, it's already gone in tier 2 and 3 so there's no way it'll suddenly become ok in a National Tier 4

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

I read a thing a couple of weeks ago - pubs were a significant source of spreading - 9.8% of new infections were directly traced back to pubs.Christ knows how many consequential "chain" infections then ensued. And in addition, the case of Bolton was explained - when Bolton went into Lockdown/Tier 3 whatever, and the pubs were shut there, local taxi firms were inundated with journeys of an evening to Wigan, taking Bolton people to nights out on the lash. Wigan then saw a big surge in cases.

Of course other causes may be worse, but I don't think it's right that pubs aren't a factor big enough to leave alone to carry on, if the Gov't wants to get R back below 1.

According to the official figures about 2 weeks ago, pubs were about 3%

EDIT: I'm not that bothered by the pubs thing btw, they probably should be shut. My point was more about Schools and Universities staying open, as the figures clearly show that this is what was driving the increases

Just now, bickster said:

Home mixing is bound to go, it's already gone in tier 2 and 3 so there's no way it'll suddenly become ok in a National Tier 4

Yes. Support bubbles were specifically exempt from that though, which was my question.

With talks of whether it was called "Tier 4" or "Tier 3 plus", Peston has this to say:

PS, for what it's worth, Downing Street would prefer that the month-long new national measures for England, as listed above, are neither called “a lockdown” or “tier 4”.

They see them as “tough new national measures” with “exit back to regional tiers”.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-10-31/covid-what-are-the-new-lockdown-measures-for-england

We'd probably have had this weeks ago when Sage and Starmer suggested, but Cummings had to get some focus groups set up for the **** branding :) 

I wonder what catchy 3 word slogan they've come up with.

Edited by Davkaus

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yes. Support bubbles were specifically exempt from that though, which was my question.

No choice in our family. Grandparent childcare will be carrying on as before. 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

So my car is booked for an MOT & Service on Wednesday. I'm sure they'll be clear guidelines if I'm supposed to go ahead with it or not...  /s

You'll be fine. Firstly, garages remained open even at the height of the first lockdown, so I'd imagine you won't have any problem there anyway, but also, it comes in to place on Thursday. :D 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

You'll be fine. Firstly, garages remained open even at the height of the first lockdown, so I'd imagine you won't have any problem there anyway, but also, it comes in to place on Thursday. :D 

hahaha sweet. I was under the impression it was starting from Monday. Thanks

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

According to the official figures about 2 weeks ago, pubs were about 3%

Whitty said 30% was pubs and restaurants, Sturgeon said in Scotland it was 20% in hospitality

Lots of people with official data seem to think it's a problem.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Whitty said 30% was pubs and restaurants, Sturgeon said in Scotland it was 20% in hospitality

Lots of people with official data seem to think it's a problem.

SOrry, I edited my posts as you were posting this. My point wasn't really about Pubs shutting, only been in one once since February.

• Like 1

Â