Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

True

There was "a special ambassador" for the WHO (Dr David Nabaro?) on CH 4 news tonight and Cathy Newman asked him the provocative question about Coronavirus being less deadly than normal flu. I believe she was asking a leading question because I have no doubts she already knew the answer. Its at about 16 minutes onwards...

So some official in Canada has advised people that they should wear a mask when having sex. 

I can only assume they are from whatever the Canadian equivalent of The Tory Party are. 

7962-33088-3-250.jpg

13 hours ago, bickster said:

There was "a special ambassador" for the WHO (Dr David Nabaro?) on CH 4 news tonight and Cathy Newman asked him the provocative question about Coronavirus being less deadly than normal flu. I believe she was asking a leading question because I have no doubts she already knew the answer. Its at about 16 minutes onwards...

So he says about 5% of people get the ‘long virus’ version of the illness, 5% of what? 5% of total infections? 

So in reality it’s what, 0.02% of the population or something, probably even less?

There are probably more people with severe nut allergies and yet I don’t see nuts being withdrawn from circulation.

So, I've only just watched the video, but he says about 5% of people get the long term form of Covid (and I seem to be one of them, still suffering from shortness of breath 4 months later), that is in addition to the deaths. Also, while 5% of a small number is a very small number, that is with banned mass gatherings, that was with vulnerable people isolating themselves for months, that's with social distancing and masks being used. Without the measures that you're against because it affects such a small number of people, it'll affect a much greater number of people.

How on earth can you possibly think that's comparable to nut allergies? 

With special measures: What a waste of time, this affects hardly anyone

Without them: This virus is out of control, how irresponsible for there to not be preventative measures.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

Tried to book a covid test online as need one before going cyprus as they need a negative test 72hrs before you fly. Its sending places in manchester and i live in London.

What a complete and utter mess

Edited by Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

So, I've only just watched the video, but he says about 5% of people get the long term form of Covid (and I seem to be one of them, still suffering from shortness of breath 4 months later), that is in addition to the deaths. Also, while 5% of a small number is a very small number, that is with banned mass gatherings, that was with vulnerable people isolating themselves for months, that's with social distancing and masks being used. Without the measures that you're against because it affects such a small number of people, it'll affect a much greater number of people.

How on earth can you possibly think that's comparable to nut allergies? 

With special measures: What a waste of time, this affects hardly anyone

Without them: This virus is out of control, how irresponsible for there to not be preventative measures.

Sorry to hear you are still suffering. Yes people think everything is ok now as single figure deaths a day but we had another 1700 plus new cases in the uk today and its still very much with us. 

This story has such 'amatuers blowing in like a whirlwind and announcing they've got the problem licked, but actually screwing everything up completely' it feels positively Tory, but this is what's going on in universities in Illinois:

It's worth clicking through those pictures for some true 'head in hands' moments of intellectual arrogance.

To be fair though, it may be a similar picture in this country soon enough. As a university employee called back to a campus that already has coronavirus cases*, I'm getting increasingly worried by the lack of any visible plan from either government or institution about what will happen when clusters of cases start developing in accommodation.

*Possibly - I might get made redundant instead. Can't wait to find out my fate next week!

Get on the Vit D kids (for the record, I've been taking it since about May when I first read about some other research)

New research shows that vitamin D levels may play a role in whether a person is susceptible to COVID-19 and how severe a case they end up with if they get it. Photo by frolicsomepl/Pixaba

Sept. 3 (UPI) -- Vitamin D deficiency increases a person's risk for catching COVID-19 by 77% compared to those with sufficient levels of the nutrient, a study published Thursday by JAMA Network Open found.

As many as one in four of the nearly 500 participants in the study were found to have less-than-optimal levels of vitamin D, the data showed.

UPI.com

May also explain why people with darker skin are more susceptible as I think the further away from the equator you are, people with darker skin process Vit D from sunlight less efficiently than fair skinned people, I seem to remember from some other thing I was reading years ago

Â