Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

We had a process for that, shielding ended months ago, the government is advising is no longer necessary as the risk is so low.

I think schools are a big step, so we'll wait and see what happens over the next few weeks, but if we're not seeing an unmanageable spike by mid-late September, I think it's time to continue the loosening of restrictions, continue to expand allowed gatherings, and ultimately, put the onus on the vulnerable to safeguard themselves while everyone else can start to regain some semblance of normality. 

Winter/flu season is still the big worry, but we shouldn't just be speculatively locking the country down until January just in case, we should be continuing to ease things off until we start to see increases again, then assessing the risk, and potentially tightening them again as a reaction. 

We will never get to the stage of a full lock down again but local lockdowns will happen if and when the spikes happen as they are now and if this follows the pattern of the spanish flu then we could get a second wave in November. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

and if this follows the pattern of the spanish flu then we could get a second wave in November. 

There is very little connection between the two pandemics. Spanish Flu for starters affected and killed large numbers of young adults (It attacked those with better imune systems!). I'm sure I also read that basic hygenie and malnourishment (cause - WW1) increased bacterial infection and it was this that caused most of the deaths and not the virus itself There were also 4 waves of Spanish Flu

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

There is very little connection between the two pandemics. Spanish Flu for starters affected and killed large numbers of young adults (It attacked those with better imune systems!). I'm sure I also read that basic hygenie and malnourishment (cause - WW1) increased bacterial infection and it was this that caused most of the deaths and not the virus itself There were also 4 waves of Spanish Flu

Wasn't there something about the second wave of Spanish Flu being far more severe because of the war?

Usually the most severely ill people stay at home or in hospital and so the severe strain isn't spread around. But because of the war, the soldiers who weren't THAT ill stayed on the front lines and the soldiers who were really ill were shipped home, spreading around the more severe strain.

I don't remember where I read or heard that, so can't say it's definitely the case.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wasn't there something about the second wave of Spanish Flu being far more severe because of the war?

Thats definitely true

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Usually the most severely ill people stay at home or in hospital and so the severe strain isn't spread around. But because of the war, the soldiers who weren't THAT ill stayed on the front lines and the soldiers who were really ill were shipped home, spreading around the more severe strain.

Sorry, my knowledge isn't that great, so I have no idea about that bit, though I do know troop movements had a big effect in the spread of the disease. I think I also read that virus had been around in various places up to 3 years earlier than 1918 so whilst its often said the pandemic was between 1918-20, the disease itself had been around a fair few years before it was recognised

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Thats definitely true

Sorry, my knowledge isn't that great, so I have no idea about that bit, though I do know troop movements had a big effect in the spread of the disease. I think I also read that virus had been around in various places up to 3 years earlier than 1918 so whilst its often said the pandemic was between 1918-20, the disease itself had been around a fair few years before it was recognised

Yeah and it was called the Spanish Flu because their press was the only press reporting it. Everyone else was hiding it (for propaganda reasons I think). So everyone just assumed it was Spanish even though it didn't originate there

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah and it was called the Spanish Flu because their press was the only press reporting it. Everyone else was hiding it (for propaganda reasons I think). So everyone just assumed it was Spanish even though it didn't originate there

Almost true. It wasn't that the press wasn't reporting it, they were only allowed to report it in relation to neutral countries and the King of Spain was very ill with it, so they were allowed to report on that but not its affects on us or our Allies. The government had issued what would now be called a D Notice on reporting of it in the UK and allied countries. SO it became known as Spanish Flu because the British and other people from other countruies only knew about the Spanish situation and not their own

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh another reason why they aren't comparable is that Flu is seasonal and is affected by seasonal changes, that isn't true of this particular strain of CoronaVirus

Not completely true as it is very vulnerable to UV radiation. Part of the reason for outbreaks during summer is the human creation of AC, resulting in the ability of the virus to persist more than it readily would. 

56 minutes ago, villakram said:

Not completely true as it is very vulnerable to UV radiation. Part of the reason for outbreaks during summer is the human creation of AC, resulting in the ability of the virus to persist more than it readily would. 

Which backs up my point that comparing it to Spanish or any other Flu is pointless. Flu is seasonal because it thrives in cold dry conditions. Increase in temperature and humidity reduces its ability to spread. This is completely different to Coronavirus

One thing that really is irritating me is funerals. One of my best mates brother suddenly passed as his liver transplant failed. Your only allowed 30 people still at a funeral. That is a complete joke when your having people at football matches, kids back at school and having people go back to work. Also a mockery that you have pubs open that have more than 30 people yet at a funeral only 30 people are allowed to attend. 

Its a complete farce and completely heartless 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bickster said:

what would now be called a D Notice

Maybe 25 years or so ago. Think they’re called DSMA’s now, or DSMR’s. Something like that, anyway. Defence and Security Media Request. The internet’s rendering them less effective, though admittedly the internet hadn’t been discovered in War 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Maybe 25 years or so ago. Think they’re called DSMA’s now, or DSMR’s. Something like that, anyway. Defence and Security Media Request. The internet’s rendering them less effective, though admittedly the internet hadn’t been discovered in War 1

Or had it, and the Deep State were just keeping it a secret?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bickster said:

The first wave came in March 1918 and killed mainly the old and vulnerable. The second wave came in November and killed mainly younger people. The first wave of it is where the similarity is. 

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The first wave came in March 1918 and killed mainly the old and vulnerable. The second wave came in November and killed mainly younger people. The first wave of it is where the similarity is. 

No, it really isn't. The Spanish Flu was no more deadly than any other strain of flu. As I mentioned above, it wasn't the flu that killed people

Please stop comparing Coronavirus with Influenza. It isn't remotely helpful as they are totally different viruses. You are comparing Oranges with Orangutans 

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

One thing that really is irritating me is funerals. One of my best mates brother suddenly passed as his liver transplant failed. Your only allowed 30 people still at a funeral. That is a complete joke when your having people at football matches, kids back at school and having people go back to work. Also a mockery that you have pubs open that have more than 30 people yet at a funeral only 30 people are allowed to attend. 

Its a complete farce and completely heartless 

It's better than it was. When we buried my Aunt a month in to lock-down we were only allowed 8 people, I think. We snuck in an extra one as we brought our own vicar. 

4 hours ago, bickster said:

No, it really isn't. The Spanish Flu was no more deadly than any other strain of flu. As I mentioned above, it wasn't the flu that killed people

Please stop comparing Coronavirus with Influenza. It isn't remotely helpful as they are totally different viruses. You are comparing Oranges with Orangutans 

Not my opinion just that of Dr Tedros the head of WHO, so when someone like him says its following a similar pattern then i take notice. 

55 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not my opinion just that of Dr Tedros the head of WHO, so when someone like him says its following a similar pattern then i take notice. 

They’ve been about as on the ball with this pandemic as the Tory govt

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Church is allowing 50 people with social distancing. Not sure if theycan do it or not

Â