Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What stuns me, is that these **** idiot politicians keep coming on, knowing full well what he's going to be like and they don't know numbers and figures and they don't have answers. 

I think this suits Johnson down to the ground, let everyone else take the heat, and then turn up at the most opportune moment. I'm looking forward to the big Boris come back, I imagine he'll have a fully worked out plan like he did that time for the care system. 

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've never been a fan of Piers Morgan. In fact I utterly despised him when he was desperate for fame as Simon Cowells bitch.

But he is doing a superb job IMO of holding people to account. What stuns me, is that these **** idiot politicians keep coming on, knowing full well what he's going to be like and they don't know numbers and figures and they don't have answers. 

It really shows the shambles this government is making of all this. How anyone can respond positively towards the actions of the governemt is beyond me. 

I watch his interview everyday with whatever government minister they have put up to do the rounds on that day and he is the only one who actually grills them rather than let them spout their propaganda about how well they are doing. Every single minister has come across as either totally clueless or has been deliberately vague and tried not to answer the question being asked as a means to deceive.

That prat Brandon Lewis this morning was waffling on abut the 40k testing capacity was then made to state that 22k tests had been undertaken yesterday and was then asked how many people had actually been tested. He didn't know and after Morgan had told him it was just 13k people he still had the brass neck to state the government have done a phenomenal job in terms of testing. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I watch his interview everyday with whatever government minister they have put up to do the rounds on that day and he is the only one who actually grills them rather than let them spout their propaganda about how well they are doing. Every single minister has come across as either totally clueless or has been deliberately vague and tried not to answer the question being asked as a means to deceive.

That prat Brandon Lewis this morning was waffling on abut the 40k testing capacity was then made to state that 22k tests had been undertaken yesterday and was then asked how many people had actually been tested. He didn't know and after Morgan had told him it was just 13k people he still had the brass neck to state the government have done a phenomenal job in terms of testing. 

It stunned me that he has the balls to call it phenomenal. 

Also how do you go on shows like that and not have figures to hand? If the researchers for GMB can get them how the **** can elected politicians not? They really do come across and not giving a shit and completely useless. 

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Most of what you are talking about there is capacity, e.g. time taken to do the tests, training, staffing issues.

Some things might be about the ability to match the demand to the supply, e.g. people taking time out of their activities dealing with patients to get tested. *

I think you're slightly missing the point being made (by Stevo here and by people like Starmer elsewhere) which is that if there is capacity to do 40,000 tests per day (so that means that the points that you have made concerning capacity are included within that number - these points would concern increasing the capacity from 40k to Hancock's magic 100k) and fewer than 20k were done and people in front line care (whether at some NHS trusts or in care settings) who want and need the test are not getting it then there is an issue about matching that demand to the supply (i.e. the daily capacity declared by the government).

*Edit:

Actually, no. 2 may also apply to localised issues about matching demand to the supply, so could suggest why overall capacity is X but localised demand of Y is not able to access that supply.

Yeah capacity is the main issue. Another point i forgot to mention is alot of staff are getting re-deployed to other parts of the hospital or even different trusts now. 

One other point is a lot of staff (mpstly admin side) plain out refuse to work in the hospital interacting with patients due to fear of catching covid 19.

This has a impact as you have to pull staff from other areas.

I cant comment on if that is workable as every trust operates differently from each other, however from our trust point of view it is very difficult to test as many as you would like for the reasons highlighted.

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I like piers but he does get really annoying when he keeps jumping in every 2 minutes and doesnt gove anyone a chance to speak.

He grills them whoch is great but then he will tend to jump on something else within 30 seconds. 

I **** hate Piers Morgan. Like despise him. 

But I agree that he’s the only one really grilling the government around their response to this. 

No doubt the government are doing some good things. But they’re also doing some very bad things and they need to be held to account. Not even for political reasons. Just for mistakes being rectified and processes being improved going forward. 
We’ve got a long way to go in this and if everyone just keeps sucking each other’s dicks and telling each other how well they’ve done then nothing improves. 

People need to point out mistakes and imperfections so they get addressed

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I like piers but he does get really annoying when he keeps jumping in every 2 minutes and doesnt gove anyone a chance to speak.

He grills them whoch is great but then he will tend to jump on something else within 30 seconds. 

I see this thrown at him. And to be fair he only does this when they don't answer his question and start shifting it elsewhere  

Its brilliant. He does not let them spin the narrative one bit 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I see this thrown at him. And to be fair he only does this when they don't answer his question and start shifting it elsewhere  

Its brilliant. He does not let them spin the narrative one bit 

Yeah like that muppet who was smiling and laughing i thiught piers was good there. 

However he needs to stop interrupting sometimes. Its good for entertainment value but not if you want answers! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah capacity is the main issue...

Erm, I'm sorry but again you are missing the point that has been made.

The government are saying that the capacity is X (as of the day before yesterday 40,000 tests per day).

The actual number of tests carried out was Y (under 20,000 tests carried out per day on Monday?).

There are still people who want and need the tests (unsatisfied demand) that could make up the difference between the potential tests carried out (X) and the actual tests carried out (Y).

In this scenario, capacity is not the issue. The ability to satisfy the demand and utilise the excess capacity (i.e. X-Y) is the issue.

Capacity (in that apparently the desire is to increase capacity further still to 100k by the end of the month) is a separate issue.

• Like 1

I mean, the thing on testing is that no-one can deny it's difficult. But, this is the crisis we're in. It's not a training crisis, and we can't switch it to easy mode. Testing isn't just a 'nice to have', it is an 'essential to have' if we want to set up a contact-trace-and-testing system to bring us out of lockdown. If we can't set that up, we either have to remain in lockdown, face a second wave of infections, or hope that we can replicate the exact results that Sweden has had from a very-far-from ideal starting point. So, testing at scale is really important, and we simply have to find solutions that work. Again, I'm not denying that it's hard, but if people can't do the job required during a national emergency then the only honourable course of action is to resign so that they can be replaced by somebody who can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

On the BBC it says that now the NHS in England are able to look at the data of actual, not just reported deaths in hospital for each day. 

Also do you have a link mate? genuine curiosity here, not sneering or anything. 

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And this is why Piers Morgan is doing a good job. Because the government are already spinning their failed promise. They shouldn't be allowed to.

Yep. They’re making it very clear that they’re going to meet the target by claiming they have capacity. 

Hancock’s pledge was specifically tests carried out. I pray that journalists don’t let them forget this. It’s still on the governments own website

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. They’re making it very clear that they’re going to meet the target by claiming they have capacity. 

Hancock’s pledge was specifically tests carried out. I pray that journalists don’t let them forget this. It’s still on the governments own website

Any journo worth their wages shouldn't. Its not like it takes a great piece of investigative journalism to report it. 

You'd hope they do their job properly. I'm sure plenty will. 

3 hours ago, Awol said:

Are you keeping a diary of symptoms during recovery? Might be useful later - if not to you then to someone else.

Edit: obviously good you’re feeling better today! :) 

I logged them online. 👍

• Like 1

Â