Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think it's 'sinister', necessarily, for a president to play off against governors he doesn't like or that have different politics. However, the specific situation is very much not 'business as usual' and you would hope for a bit more sense that ultimately everyone wants fewer bodies. Sadly, as you suggest, it isn't clear that Trump does want fewer bodies. What I don't understand is why he keeps picking fights with more popular governors from states he needs to win in November. Famously, Obama and Chris Christie hugged in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, and that ended up helping both out in their respective situations. People in Michigan seem to me to be unlikely to thank Trump for threatening not to provide their state with the ventilators they need.

I think it is very sinister.   He's talking about saving the second amendment and liberating the state.   He's using the pandemic once again as an opportunity to sow fear in his base and preparing them to pour onto the streets and claim fraud if he loses in November.   Some will surely be ready to bring their guns.   Even though they won't be successful, I can see some becoming martyrs among the far right and used as further evidence that the mainstream media and deep state are corrupt and really do need to be overthrown.  He will hope to cast into doubt the legitimacy of the election if he loses.  If there's a questionable outcome like 2000 he will use the expanded authority the lapdog Republicans have let him carve out to take control of any government apparatus that would be needed to resolve the election and make sure it comes out in his favor.   What Bush managed to do in 2000 will pale in comparison to what Trump will try, and quite possibly get away with, unless some prominent Republican gets the balls to call him out.

This tweets scares me more than pretty  much any he's put out there yet (and I've been scared a lot lately).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, that's pretty frightening.

Must admit I’m almost of the view it might help in the long run....the last thing we want is for Governments to avoid having to Test and Trace by relying on antibody tests and a vague hope that immunity might be significantly more robust than is usually the case.

22 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Must admit I’m almost of the view it might help in the long run....the last thing we want is for Governments to avoid having to Test and Trace by relying on antibody tests and a vague hope that immunity might be significantly more robust than is usually the case.

It’s also got to be a worry that we’ll spend 12-18 months inventing the cure to last year’s virus. No guarantees we are dealing with a genetically static target.

• Like 2

i can see why people would vote option 2 based on the responses put forward. Most people who don't deep dive into the news and figures will see govt spokespeople every day with an update, but there will also be skepticism about the whole truth. 

To be fair if the options are “well” or “not well” then I can understand a bit kore why the percentage is that high. I don’t agree, but I can understand it. 

If there were more options then I don’t. 

I must be getting sick.

Just watched the U.S. Coronavirus Taskforce Briefing and it was factual, helpful, coherent and constructive.

Bizarre experience.

Completely coincidentally, Trump wasn’t there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If immunity isn't achievable then this has buggered us.

Well all they’ve said is that there “ is no evidence that having had the virus would guarantee immunity”.

Quite right to say so aswell, since it’s too early to have evidence of very much at all yet.

And it’s way too early to say “ guarantee”....in fact it may never be possible to guarantee it. 

That’s not the same as saying immunity “ isn’t achievable”.

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I must be getting sick.

Just watched the U.S. Coronavirus Taskforce Briefing and it was factual, helpful, coherent and constructive.

Bizarre experience.

Completely coincidentally, Trump wasn’t there.

Oh dear, I spoke too soon ...🤪🤪🤪

Well if you can’t gain immunity then a vaccine is not going to be possible. It’s still too early to know though.

This study from California is interesting though:

A new study in California has found the number of people infected with coronavirus may be tens of times higher than previously thought.

The study marks the first large-scale study of its kind, researchers said. The study was conducted by identifying antibodies in healthy individuals through a finger prick test, which indicated whether they had already contracted and recovered from the virus.

At the time of the study, Santa Clara county had 1,094 confirmed cases of Covid-19, resulting in 50 deaths. But based on the rate of people who have antibodies, it is likely that between 48,000 and 81,000 people had been infected in Santa Clara county by early April – a number approximately 50 to 80 times higher.

That also means coronavirus is potentially much less deadly to the overall population than initially thought. As of Tuesday, the US’s coronavirus death rate was 4.1% and Stanford researchers said their findings show a death rate of just 0.12% to 0.2%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/antibody-study-suggests-coronavirus-is-far-more-widespread-than-previously-thought

36 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Not just 'the police' but Cressida Dick, Met Police Commissioner, was there, too.

I don't watch these daily update things, did they lambast the police for letting/joining in with the bridge madness? 

I broke the lockdown last night, I'd already had a drink and my mate messaged me to say he had most likely lost his job and he was really worried.

You know what, it was one of the best drinks I've had in years, as soon as he opened the door I gave him a massive hug, it's been nearly 4 weeks since I've spoke to someone else properly.

I'm not going to apologise either "stay at home, save lives" doesn't cut it when you are on the verge of swinging by the neck.

I'm not ignoring the guidelines at all, I'll be back to following them strictly but after a month of lock down and really suffering mentally I think it had to be done.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

If immunity isn't achievable then this has buggered us.

Some form of immunity must happen though, otherwise no one would get over the virus. If your body produces antibodies which kill off the virus and allow you to recover then the question would be how long those antibodies last and offer you protection for. 

Â