Generic Virus Thread

villakram

31 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

I don't watch these daily update things, did they lambast the police for letting/joining in with the bridge madness? 

I'm afraid I only saw a tiny bit of it (the last question or two) so I couldn't say.

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Some form of immunity must happen though, otherwise no one would get over the virus. If your body produces antibodies which kill off the virus and allow you to recover then the question would be how long those antibodies last and offer you protection for. 

There's a difference between an immune response and immunity. The immune system can obviously try to fight the virus, and win in many cases, but if there is no lasting immunity following that then given the severity this seems to have in some cases, and particularly for the older population, then it's going to become a new major source of death for the foreseeable. And if it does have lasting effects on the body, then that's even worse.

• Like 2

Takes a special kind of target audience and devotion to be able to eat up the excrement that Trump pushes out.

He is somehow simultaneously praising himself for the actions taken and criticizing Sweden for not taking the same ones, while at the same time calling his followers to demand the various governors to desist with the exact actions he is praising himself for taking.

And his followers are just eating it up while waving their guns and dying in droves.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Some form of immunity must happen though, otherwise no one would get over the virus.

I'm not sure that would be the right reading of what immunity is, would it? Immunity would suggest a level of protection against any attack from a virus now or in the future (and that's a spectrum both in terms of chance of dealing with it and time period).

I think the gist of what the Dr from the WHO was saying yesterday was that just because the antibodies have worked in one way one time, i.e. that an individual has recovered, it doesn't mean that this will apply now and in the future. As ever, these things are couched in terms of notion that new evidence is coming out all the time and more information may mean that the picture changes.

23 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure that would be the right reading of what immunity is, would it? Immunity would suggest a level of protection against any attack from a virus now or in the future (and that's a spectrum both in terms of chance of dealing with it and time period).

I think the gist of what the Dr from the WHO was saying yesterday was that just because the antibodies have worked in one way one time, i.e. that an individual has recovered, it doesn't mean that this will apply now and in the future. As ever, these things are couched in terms of notion that new evidence is coming out all the time and more information may mean that the picture changes.

Yes, ‘immunity’ is not the right word but what I mean is that the day you start getting over the virus you are essentially ‘immune’ that day as you have developed enough antibodies that will kill the virus. We just don’t know yet how long they then offer continued protection for. 

A virus that spreads very effectively, has the potential to be quite severe in seemingly anyone, with many of those affected badly needing critical medical care, and a number of those succumbing based around age and existing health after a reasonably long period, which may or may not cause lasting harm to those that do pull through, and which the body does not gain lasting immunity to, and may or may not ultimately be able to vaccinated against, is a fairly nasty mix .

It could be worse, obviously, it could be more lethal, but as is is is a bit of a nightmare scenario for healthcare. You're looking at a disease which overwhelms the system that isn't going away.

26 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yes, ‘immunity’ is not the right word but what I mean is that the day you start getting over the virus you are essentially ‘immune’ that day as you have developed enough antibodies that will kill the virus. We just don’t know yet how long they then offer continued protection for. 

Your post, I think, highlights the difficulty in us lay people discussing it (and I am definitely including myself in those having this difficulty!). We're using a word/words interchangeably that have different meanings and it confuses the whole picture.

As you say 'immunity' is probably not the right word for it because it conveys a message to us in the general public about being unable to catch something again when that is not what it necessarily means.

On the last bit, the point of Dr Van Kerkhove's comments appeared to be that we don't know what protection, if any, those residual antibodies offer. There will obviously be more evidence as to what they do offer, in time - for now, it would be prudent not to make any assumptions as to this 'immunity'.

Edited by snowychap

15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I've had it and gotten over it which, to be honest, is a total relief as I was bricking it at the thought of getting it and it getting a grip on my lungs as I'm quite sure it would have beat me. I have a crap immune system. I mean, I would have thought you'd have more chance of finding rocking horse shit than finding immunity in my body. But, I seem to have beaten it. Don't know about side effects. I'm really tired lately so maybe my body is still trying to adjust to three weeks without going out and doing much?

What I will say is this; when I first became ill and had the fever and headaches, lethargy etc, I did a lot of reading up on the virus straight away. I read about the first Brit to get it. He is a school teacher in China and he did an article in a paper where he went through how his symptoms developed. I recall him saying that he had what I had over the first couple of days then he felt better. He said then he had this sort of fluid develop in him, a tacky substance, that eventually overwhelmed him and he felt like he was drowning in it and that caused the pneumonia because it got to his lungs. 

From what I've read, when it gets to your lungs that's when you are at most danger because the virus crystalises and becomes like glass attached to your lungs. When you cough, the viral droplets are torn away from your lung and it causes bleeding and I think that's when you are knackered. So, I made the decision to get my girlfriend to have someone bring anti-septic mouthwash to our house. I gargled and swilled it around my mouth morning, afternoon and night for about three days until that tacky, sticky saliva went from my mouth. I believe that helped me and stopped the build up of it and it getting into my lungs.

That yacky stuff developed after about three days of experiencing the fever. I had no runny nose and no sneezing but I did have a sore, tender feeling develop in my nose around the same time as the yacky stuff developed so I think there's a connection. 

Seriously folks, I can highly recommend having anti-septic mouthwash in supply just in case the worst happens. I'm convinced that it would have gotten worse had I not used that mouthwash. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

protests in Florida against this fake virus...

0804-D84-C-9-CC3-49-A9-89-AE-82-F68732-B

2-F92-EF4-E-D326-4654-8835-0-DEF2-B183-F 21-F414-DB-204-E-48-C2-BDDA-D36-D94-FFEA
 spacer.png33-CF314-A-C675-4-E25-BD29-845-B31-D5-C08-DC17722-44-DE-4128-8-F3-E-5-EEF1-A359- 

A1739-B35-F68-C-4-FD6-87-AA-DAF51-A963-A A670086-E-9-F9-E-431-B-AA41-A29-E01738-B39265553-B128-4-D86-9985-C63-CC1-EE9-D0- 

When these idiots get it, and a lot will, they will be doing this in order: praying, relieved (if survive), humbled, burning the placards and, going into social hiding. 

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I broke the lockdown last night, I'd already had a drink and my mate messaged me to say he had most likely lost his job and he was really worried.

You know what, it was one of the best drinks I've had in years, as soon as he opened the door I gave him a massive hug, it's been nearly 4 weeks since I've spoke to someone else properly.

I'm not going to apologise either "stay at home, save lives" doesn't cut it when you are on the verge of swinging by the neck.

I'm not ignoring the guidelines at all, I'll be back to following them strictly but after a month of lock down and really suffering mentally I think it had to be done.

I think that's entirely fair and necessary. 

5 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Nothing more important than getting your haircut during a global pandemic! 

27336470-8228769-The_protesters_are_seen

I am certain a lot of these people have one of these laying around somewhere, problem solved.

Haircut GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I broke the lockdown last night, I'd already had a drink and my mate messaged me to say he had most likely lost his job and he was really worried.

You know what, it was one of the best drinks I've had in years, as soon as he opened the door I gave him a massive hug, it's been nearly 4 weeks since I've spoke to someone else properly.

I'm not going to apologise either "stay at home, save lives" doesn't cut it when you are on the verge of swinging by the neck.

I'm not ignoring the guidelines at all, I'll be back to following them strictly but after a month of lock down and really suffering mentally I think it had to be done.

I'm not having a go here so please don't take it that way. We are all individuals and work/think in different ways - I get that. 

I just wanted to ask how your friend would feel if (touch wood it doesn't happen) he somehow had the virus, passed it on to you and you lost your life? Would he be glad you visited then? Same in the opposite way, if you gave it to him? 

I know the lock down is driving people, it's understandable in a liberated society. I mean, look at the "Land of the free". America was always going to struggle with these conditions. But, this disease is a real killer and when you have the symptoms you feel like there is something inside you trying all it can to get a grip of you, like a burglar inside your home trying to find you searching from room to room. That's how it feels. It's searching for your weakness to take hold of you.

The need for people to distance themselves from others at this time is genuine. It's horrible but necessary. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sne said:

I am certain a lot of these people have one of these laying around somewhere, problem solved.

Haircut GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I’d have thought Bradley Cooper would have made enough money from movies to not need to do these dodgy product endorsements.

• Haha 2

Just now, Genie said:

I’d have thought Bradley Cooper would have made enough money from movies to not need to do these dodgy product endorsements.

Times are rough for everyone I guess.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Nothing more important than getting your haircut during a global pandemic! 

27336470-8228769-The_protesters_are_seen

Is any other country acting as laughably bad as these clowns? 

I think we've been pretty bad but **** me America are just the joke of the world and have been for awhile. 

I'd love to know what life experiences people have had that lead to treat Trump like a cult leader and refuse to believe anything out there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I'm not having a go here so please don't take it that way. We are all individuals and work/think in different ways - I get that. 

I just wanted to ask how your friend would feel if (touch wood it doesn't happen) he somehow had the virus, passed it on to you and you lost your life? Would he be glad you visited then? Same in the opposite way, if you gave it to him? 

I know the lock down is driving people, it's understandable in a liberated society. I mean, look at the "Land of the free". America was always going to struggle with these conditions. But, this disease is a real killer and when you have the symptoms you feel like there is something inside you trying all it can to get a grip of you, like a burglar inside your home trying to find you searching from room to room. That's how it feels. It's searching for your weakness to take hold of you.

The need for people to distance themselves from others at this time is genuine. It's horrible but necessary. 

Fair question and he'd feel terrible as would I, but at the same time, if you have someone who is at their wits end it isn't always enough to say "the government says you need to stay at home" I've been sinking into a fit of depression since last week, living in 2 rooms was killing me and I think if I wouldn't have had that little blow out last night then there is every chance I might have done something stupid sooner or later.

I'm calling it a hard reset, yes I shouldn't have done it and I won't be doing it again for a while but it was 100% necessary and had made me feel a hell of a lot better 

• Like 2

It is allowed within the rules of the game to do the lesser of two evils.

There have been statements here (can’t vouch for england), that if you are teetering on the ragged edge, get out and change something rather than blow up. Even to the point if you are feeling particularly low or have had a bust up with a partner, go and live with a friend for a few days.

Â