Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

My niece in Australia has just told me WA state faces another lockdown because  the authorities  have been notified of two.....TWO....potentially positive cases.

We have thousands of confirmed positive cases daily and the government are probably going to honour the mid july deadline of removing remaining restrictions. 

Lost for words...

My ex had family over there in WA so I've got them all on Facebook now. You'd think it was a zombie apocolypse the way they are reacting... literally emptying the shelves of toilet roll again. I'd understand if it was all still new like last year when we first locked down but **** me...

Edited by MCU
  • Like 1

Hopefully when he open up in July that is it. No more restrictions or partial lockdowns. Just get on with it. People need to start living again as opposed to simply existing in a zombie state. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hopefully when he open up in July that is it. No more restrictions or partial lockdowns. Just get on with it. People need to start living again as opposed to simply existing in a zombie state. 

We need to make sure Jamaica gets onto the green list and stays there until the new year, that should be the priory of the UK :D 

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s nice that they can get so many in the tennis without masks

spacer.png

Must not get tennis fans. 

Feel sorry for all those people burying loved ones at the moment. The rules are so, so backward. 

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

My niece in Australia has just told me WA state faces another lockdown because  the authorities  have been notified of two.....TWO....potentially positive cases.

We have thousands of confirmed positive cases daily and the government are probably going to honour the mid july deadline of removing remaining restrictions. 

Lost for words...

What are you suggesting then? 

Andrew Marr’s account of catching the delta variant despite being double jabbed is interesting. He initially had 2 negative lateral flow tests before eventually doing a PCR test that was positive.

The following day, the Wednesday, I took two lateral-flow swab tests.

Both were negative and I carried on with life - errands, shopping, delivering pictures for my art show, in Bermondsey, south-east London.

I still felt I had a bad cold.

Candidly, had I not been working at Broadcasting House with younger colleagues who had not been vaccinated, I might well have continued and tried to host my next Sunday programme.

Instead, I went to take a polymerase-chain-reaction (PCR) swab test at the north London site by the Neasden Temple.

At 08:00 the following morning, I received a positive result and was told by NHS Test and Trace I must self-isolate for 10 days from the first symptoms - therefore, in my case, until late on Friday, June 25.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What are you suggesting then? 

That the aussies and kiwis have dealt with the pandemic better than the uk.

In my opinion anyway. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

In my opinion anyway. 

Surely they have relatively speaking **** all business and personal travel compared to the UK? In the early phase import cases are a big big thing.

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Surely they have relatively speaking **** all business and personal travel compared to the UK? In the early phase import cases are a big big thing.

You really think that ? Have you any idea of the business Australia has within the ASPAC region ? Heck, they even closed state borders within the country in a hardline manner....and the most important thing was, they did it early with little or no mucking about.

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

You really think that ? Have you any idea of the business Australia has within the ASPAC region ? Heck, they even closed state borders within the country in a hardline manner....and the most important thing was, they did it early with little or no mucking about.

Yeah. I can't imagine anything coming close to London or heathrow.

I'll see if I can find some numbers when I'm waking up.

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Every country has a pretty unique set of conditions which makes it difficult to just point and say ‘we should have done that!’.

Agree to a degree but its no coincidence that their infection and death figures are proportionally far, far better than BoJo and his circle of clowns have.

4 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Agree to a degree but its no coincidence that their infection and death figures are proportionally far, far better than BoJo and his circle of clowns have.

I’m Australian so I take an interest in their goings on. I do think they are going to have a bit of difficultly finding their way back to normality. Presumably they will want to allow travel again at some point but the virus is endemic, it’s going to be interesting to see how people there react to suddenly accepting there will be cases in the community even if the majority are protected with a vaccine.  The date for allowing Australia’s to travel abroad has been pushed back to the second half of next year and who knows when tourists will be allowed into the country again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The date for allowing Australia’s to travel abroad has been pushed back to the second half of next year and who knows when tourists will be allowed into the country again. 

Really? I never knew that. Prisoners in their own country. Whats the vaccination programme like over there?

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

The date for allowing Australia’s to travel abroad has been pushed back to the second half of next year and who knows when tourists will be allowed into the country again. 

I didn't know that bit and that's quite upsetting. My sis in law's parents live in Cheshire and are not in great health. She hasn't seen them in over 4 years. I was last there in 2018 so it aint so bad for me.

Thanks for the heads up 

57 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

In my opinion anyway. 

They have effectively paused the pandemic. But where do they go from here? Low vaccine supply and low uptake. I don't know how they exit this.

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Really? I never knew that. Prisoners in their own country. Whats the vaccination programme like over there?

Yes, you are not allowed to leave Australia unless you can demonstrate you are leaving permanently and are granted a special dispensation by the Federal Government. They don’t want people travelling in and out and filling up the quarantine hotels.

The vaccine rollout is going very slowly. Less than 5% have had both doses. They banked on the AZ vaccine, got it late (to be fair they were not the most urgent client country) but by the time they had the product all the blood clot stuff was kicking off and they decided to switch to Pfizer so are playing catch-up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I’m Australian so I take an interest in their goings on. I do think they are going to have a bit of difficultly finding their way back to normality. Presumably they will want to allow travel again at some point but the virus is endemic, it’s going to be interesting to see how people there react to suddenly accepting there will be cases in the community even if the majority are protected with a vaccine.  The date for allowing Australia’s to travel abroad has been pushed back to the second half of next year and who knows when tourists will be allowed into the country again. 

You obviously see more of this or have a better feel for this than most or all of us, but pretty much every time I see an Australian on Twitter talking about covid they are getting extremely concerned about cases in the single digits, and welcoming short lockdowns that to my mind can't possibly be of much help at all given they are shorter than the incubation period of the virus. As you say, it seems like it's going to take a pretty big mental reversal to get to a state of accepting that there just will be covid, forever, and that they can't wait it out.

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You obviously see more of this or have a better feel for this than most or all of us, but pretty much every time I see an Australian on Twitter talking about covid they are getting extremely concerned about cases in the single digits, and welcoming short lockdowns that to my mind can't possibly be of much help at all given they are shorter than the incubation period of the virus. As you say, it seems like it's going to take a pretty big mental reversal to get to a state of accepting that there just will be covid, forever, and that they can't wait it out.

That’s because they haven’t had a first wave yet and hopefully never will, but any number of cases over single digits really and it will break out, spreading rampantly like it did everywhere else last year. Also the short lockdowns clearly work because they’ve always contained any outbreaks so far.

They’re locked in and intermittently down until enough people have been vaccinated for herd immunity, and that seems like a slow process at the moment. Not sure why they’re not using AZ in that case.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Â