Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s what I have done. And I’ll get the booster, but it’s sometimes hard not to listen to the noise surrounding the vaccine and the risk/reward for my age group in getting it (30-40).

Either way, I hope football isn’t cancelled again!

I understand. You're doing the safer thing by getting a booster. You can't eliminate the miniscule risk of taking the vaccine or the risk of being vaccinated but still getting infected, but even given your age profile, the data shows you are reducing the risk of harm to your own health by getting vaccinated. You'll also have the added benefit of reducing the risk to others, even beyond your immediate friends, family and colleagues.

Life is full of probabilities of risk and decisions made (typically subconsciously) on how those risks can be reduced. Tragically, people are killed using pedestrian crossings but that shouldn't equate to people being nervous to cross the street, banning motor vehicles or conversely, thinking it's safer to cross away from pedestrian crossings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

First death in the UK of this completely harmless Omicron variant today.

Not reported ofcourse if they had underlying health conditions. 

I'm getting a little sceptical,  bit of a fear factor going out from our government now.

Funny we don't believe anything Boris and his crew say, apart when it comes to Covid??

• Like 4

Where is it being said that the death is purely coincidental to having the Virus?  I've not seen that reported anywhere.

A assume all of the other people in hospital with Omicron are also purely coincidental too.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Where is it being said that the death is purely coincidental to having the Virus?  I've not seen that reported anywhere.

A assume all of the other people in hospital with Omicron are also purely coincidental too.

Who knows? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trekka said:

Ah, no worries. You are right actually going by the upper bound in the graph (if Pfizer) but it is very much an upper bound.  I've been going by the data table and I guess we still don't know enough.  The thing I worry about is that most people I know only had the AZ vaccine.  

Sorry if I'm being a bit dramatic about it.

No it's fine. Somehow VillaTalk seems to be the best place to discuss this stuff, anywhere else on the web seems to be an absolute shitshow of arguments and misinformation. 

40 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

In regards to people worried about fertility, my fiancée is 31, I'm 36 (approaching 37), she's had her 2 jabs and a booster, I've had 2 jabs. 

We're approaching 10 weeks of her being pregnant. It will be the first child for the both of us. She was a bit worried that she wouldn't be able to get pregnant combining her age and the rumours about the jab but I will say that it didn't take long at all for her to fall pregnant once we actively started trying for a baby. This is after she's had 3 jabs.

Congratulations!

I suspect 99% of the concern and misinformation spread regarding vaccination affecting fertility is down to the historic thalidomide tragedy. I suspect most of those concerned or perpetuating the fertility lies don't realise that the Thalidomide scandal has actually helped make the current COVID vaccines and many other vaccines safer through much increased emphasis on independent exhaustive testing and data analysis. I did see a news report from months back saying many of the Thalidomide campaigners were disgusted the fertility rumours would reduce vaccination take-up, increasing deaths from COVID and thus tarnishing their hard earned gains of much increased testing and analysis of new medication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Anyone else get the feeling another lockdown is very much on the horizon? 

I think it's completely inevitable. Can see schools staying shut after Xmas hols and Jan being completely shut down. Won't be a long one though IMHO. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm getting a little sceptical,  bit of a fear factor going out from our government now.

Can you just explain to me, in simple terms because I'm a simple man, why the **** our Government would want to do that for no reason?  Is it endearing them to the voters?

And not just our Government but every other Government of all political persuasions too?

And not just the Governments, but all the scientists too?

it strikes me very strongly that of all these disparate sources are trying to put the fear of god into you, it's probably because you should be fearful.

Please give me a rational explanation about why they would do that?

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can you just explain to me, in simple terms because I'm a simple man, why the **** our Government would want to do that for no reason?  Is it endearing them to the voters?

And not just our Government but every other Government of all political persuasions too?

it strikes me very strongly that of all these disparate sources are trying to put the fear of god into you, it's probably because you should be fearful.

Because they're all words removed

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If only peeps hadn't pretended the pandemic was over in June. This is a rod made by the Tories for the country's own back I feel. Where I am right now, there's no panic, no rush for boosters. Anyway, I think I repeat myself too much on here.

Edited by Rolta

44 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Funny we don't believe anything Boris and his crew say, apart when it comes to Covid??

Nobody believes Boris about Covid. They believe the science. If what Boris says and what the science says lines up then we believe it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

In regards to people worried about fertility, my fiancée is 31, I'm 36 (approaching 37), she's had her 2 jabs and a booster, I've had 2 jabs. 

We're approaching 10 weeks of her being pregnant. It will be the first child for the both of us. She was a bit worried that she wouldn't be able to get pregnant combining her age and the rumours about the jab but I will say that it didn't take long at all for her to fall pregnant once we actively started trying for a baby. This is after she's had 3 jabs.

Congratulations mate

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Anyone else get the feeling another lockdown is very much on the horizon? 

It’ll be a bit of a half hearted lockdown I reckon. 

Schools closed, apart from key worker children (which we realised last time was 90% of the children).

Restaurants open, but max table of 6 people

Pubs open, but closing at 9

Nightclubs closed, unless it’s for a business meeting.

Fox hunting will continue without any restrictions, as will their club houses.

Football matches restricted capacity. 

• Haha 1

Â