Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, NoelVilla said:

Today everybody in Sweden got a text message about the new guidelines so now the virus will stop spreading 🙄

I for one feel much safer now. They didn't even include a link to where to find the information as they feared it would be used to scam people :D 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I just think the handling of this has been a shambles. The government always take the worst option it seems.

This could be said about literally everything for the last 5 years. It almost makes me long for the glory days of the coalition. Yeah they **** people over, but at least they had a vague semblance of competence. 

We could shut this government down for a week by telling the cabinet that we're on the cusp of curing covid, but we need them to go to the hardware store and ask for a long weight.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

First batch of vaccines from Pfizer have arrived today in North Carolina.  A lot of people I know said no way in Hell they are going to take them. I admit that I myself am on the fence.

Edited by Big Salad

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

why?

are you a qualified scientist who has peer reviewed the science behind them?

I agree.

We put our faith and trust in doctors, scientists and engineers every day. I’m not sure why people are comfortable with 99.9% of things they do but deeply nervous about this life saving vaccine that opens the door to normality if enough people take it.

Someone here mentioned the other day, do the people using vape devices question what they are inhaling?

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Matt Hancock should know better. He can't drop a bombshell like this without quantifying exactly what is happening with the mutation and how we're going to deal with it.

It's tricky, I think. I mean if they know and don't tell us, then when it does get out, he'd get slagged off for keeping it from the public.

Sorry, did I just display sympathy for a politician?

I'll get m'revolver and a stiff brandy and be off to the drawing room. If you hear a bang, call the cleaner and an undertaker.

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's tricky, I think. I mean if they know and don't tell us, then when it does get out, he'd get slagged off for keeping it from the public.

I'll get m'revolver and a stiff brandy and be off to the drawing room. If you hear a bang, call the cleaner and an undertaker.

Not just any politician but Matt Hancock, I’d make it a shotgun personally, double barrelled to reflect the magnitude of your error! 🤣

• Haha 1

The Beeb.

Hancock: We do not rule out further action

Matt Hancock reiterates that areas in the south-east of England will be moving into tier 3 from 00:01 on Wednesday.

"I know this news is not what people want to hear," he says adding "it is a blow to so many people and businesses."

"But we know from experience that the best thing to do in the face of the virus is to act fast.

"We do not rule out further action."

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Question is, do the imminently rolled out vaccines protect for it?

2 hours ago, trekka said:

The question was just asked.  Hancock doesn't seem so sure! Currently being tested at Porton Down. 

The one thing they have said is that once the vaccines have been approved, they can adapt them to new strains of the virus without having to go through the whole development and approval process.  Different strains can be dropped in like they do with the flu vaccine.  The delays will be about manufacturing, distribution and administration of the new vaccine which should be a reasonably quick process. 

That said if this is rapidly spreading and their still in early manufacturing mode for the original version they are surely not going to be physically able to ship a new vaccine soon. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It’s just your gravy levels dropping.  Get yourself a big dose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

why?

are you a qualified scientist who has peer reviewed the science behind them?

No but a vaccine thats been created in 6 months does give you cause for concern. Also if you die fron the vaccine your family cant take legal action against them

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No but a vaccine thats been created in 6 months does give you cause for concern. Also if you die fron the vaccine your family cant take legal action against them

Am I right you work in an NHS Lab Dem? I mean its not like this "speed" thing hasn't been explained a million times or more

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Am I right you work in an NHS Lab Dem? I mean its not like this "speed" thing hasn't been explained a million times or more

No i dont work in lab bicks.

Regardless or not you dont know the long term effects like me or anyone else on the planet.  I dont think anyone should be criticised for wanting to wait and see if there are any long term side effects 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No i dont work in lab bicks.

Regardless or not you dont know the long term effects like me or anyone else on the planet.  I dont think anyone should be criticised for wanting to wait and see if there are any long term side effects 

The only way to see if there are any long term side effects with any vaccine (or medicine or any sort) is to wait long term

How long are you planning on waiting?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

The only way to see if there are any long term side effects with any vaccine (or medicine or any sort) is to wait long term

How long are you planning on waiting?

Thats a good question. 

The answer is i simply have no idea 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats a good question. 

The answer is i simply have no idea 

As I understand it, it's calculated risk v benefit. 

A vaccine which is essentially a repurposed flu vaccine using a well known adenovirus carrier and a tried and tested inactivated virus method is very low risk. Back in March the interview with the Oxford lead developer was striking because of how assured she obviously was that it would work fine and it just needed to pass testing which I'm sure she thought was a formality.

Balance that against the desperate need to save lives with every day it's not available potentially thousands more dying.

With the new method Pfizer vaccine it's not as well known so if there's an argument to needing to wait longer for long term effects to show up, that's the candidate. But it seems that vaccine is only going to be used for the most at risk so the least risk of long term side effects anyway.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It seems pretty poor science communication to me, to be honest, to be all 'well, there's a new strain, sorry, can't answer many of your questions' and just kind of leave it at that for the time being.

I'm also wondering if there's not some chance he's going to end up with egg on his face re this announcement as well. I mean, maybe this is all really solid science, but when they made a big fuss about a new strain in South Australia, it turned out to be because a guy who worked in a pizza restaurant had lied to contact tracers, saying he was just a customer. They did an entire lockdown based on that.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Â