Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Carswell et al: "Why can't the snowflake generation just suck it up and think about other people, in the Blitz everyone came together and made sacrifices for the greater good. They wouldn't cope in the trenches, that's for sure"

Also: "Waah, a bit of fabric over my face is icky. Stop oppressing me".

My wife has been wearing a paper bag over her head for years, now whats the problem with a mask?

• Like 1

I wonder if these people would be happy enough having some health treatment or operation from a surgical team that felt masks were a restriction on their liberty. 

No NHS staff should ever be made to wear a mask if they don’t fancy it.

8 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

My wife has been wearing a paper bag over her head for years, now whats the problem with a mask?

Ever so slightly off topic, has anyone else ordered the Villa face masks from the club shop and still not received them? 

47 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So mask-wearing is to become mandatory in shops from July 24th (yet again the government going for a really long lead-in time). Unfortunately, this change is occurring just as Britain's right-wing newspapers and asssorted other media outlets have started to turn anti-mask wearing into yet another front in the culture war:

etc etc.

I can't help but feel that this is creating a space on the Tories' right flank for a new party or pressure group to oppose even minimal public health measures (maybe Farage will be back . . .?). The base of media support is already in place, anyway.

It's just utter nonsense.

I can't comprehend how these people work. 

"health and safety gone mad!" I assume is why they disagree with it.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

So mask-wearing is to become mandatory in shops from July 24th (yet again the government going for a really long lead-in time)

Maybe it'll give shops the opportunity to restock if there's a run on them right now?

So if mask wearing is to be compulsory in shops is it also the case for bars and restaurants?

And if so, how do you drink or eat with a mask on, or are you allowed to remove it each time you want a swig of your pint or a bite of your meal? Again, if so, then what is the bloody point?!

I’m averse to mask wearing, I’m not going to go out and campaign against it, I’ll probably just leave the house even less than I already do. Others will disagree I get that but then some of you have been mask wearing for the past few months anyway so of course you’ll disagree.

I just think that the total opposite of anything the government advises is probably closer to the correct course of action.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So if mask wearing is to be compulsory in shops is it also the case for bars and restaurants?

And if so, how do you drink or eat with a mask on, or are you allowed to remove it each time you want a swig of your pint or a bite of your meal? Again, if so, then what is the bloody point?!

I’m averse to mask wearing, I’m not going to go out and campaign against it, I’ll probably just leave the house even less than I already do. Others will disagree I get that but then some of you have been mask wearing for the past few months anyway so of course you’ll disagree.

I just think that the total opposite of anything the government advises is probably closer to the correct course of action.

Why are you averse to mask wearing?

Not a dig, it's a genuine question. I don't know why people are against it. Genuinely interested

• Like 1

Everyone has to wear a mask in a shop, but you can stroll around in a pub without one. Makes complete sense.

Not against wearing a mask, but the logic to force people to wear them now whilst opening pubs is just baffling. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Maybe it'll give shops the opportunity to restock if there's a run on them right now?

Yes, that might be the purpose.

If they're going to be mandatory, they should really be free, but I expect the government would rather sacrifice take-up than acccept that logistical challenge.

• Like 2

I think it's purely a case of folks thinking they look silly - as though a mask is a sign of weakness. I also felt daft putting one on the other day for a house viewing, but after the first 30 secs did not notice the difference. Cannot see any harm making folks do it in shops - probs wouldn't to walk to the shops tho. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't know if they will be made mandatory in pubs and restaurants, but they should be. In Poland you wear a mask until you sit at your table, i.e. at the bar or in the toilet. Then you're only at the table with the people you're with anyway, distanced from others, and you can take it off. The staff still wear theirs In shops everyone is mingling close to each other all the time, that's the difference.

This is very simple and obvious, I don't see what the fuss is or how the UK govt could make such a mess of it (well ok they're a complete shambles).

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not a dig, it's a genuine question. I don't know why people are against it. Genuinely interested

I know it wasn't directed to me but my answer is that I'm not averse to wearing a mask in the current situation (I certainly wouldn't want it to become an ingrained thing, however) - indeed I bought a pack of disposable ones from the Co-op last week in preparation for them making it compulsory - but I do think the whole message around them is very, very confused.

You have the questions as posed above - how about in pubs/restaurants? If not (for the practical reasons) then why does that outweigh the public health reasons for compulsion elsewhere? And also, how about workplaces like offices? Will they/should they not be compulsory in those environments?

Are the government actually bringing it in as a public health measure or are they brining it in for economic reasons, i.e. as a psychological reassurance to people to get out and 'shop'?

If the latter then it may well work but it also brings with it the risk of a lackaidaisical attitude towards the wider risks ('I've got a mask on therefore I'm safe' or 'Only compulsory in shops so it's only shops that are a risk'). It also ignores the idea that it may well put people off from 'popping' to a shop to casually buy something (I wouldn't be using a one-off disposable mask to go and buy a pint of milk) or that it leaves those small, local shops at risk of not enforcing the mask-wearing and is the corner shop where you want people to be failing to observe this if it's for public health reasons?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

That Suzanne Evans idiot in the tweet compilation above, she’s also tweeted that her mask gave her a cold sore.

There you go, wearing masks can cause herpes. 

From ex tory ex UKIP Suzanne Evans. They’re an odd bunch, the right wing zealot.

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I know it wasn't directed to me but my answer is that I'm not averse to wearing a mask in the current situation (I certainly wouldn't want it to become an ingrained thing, however) - indeed I bought a pack of disposable ones from the Co-op last week in preparation for them making it compulsory - but I do think the whole message around them is very, very confused.

As an aside, I'd recommed getting a washable one. I've been using disposable ones for weeks now and they always felt flimsy, itchy and like they were always going to fall off. 

Picked up cloth ones at the weekend and the difference is massive. Comfortable and feels like it would stay on during a hurricane.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, snowychap said:

You have the questions as posed above - how about in pubs/restaurants? If not (for the practical reasons) then why does that outweigh the public health reasons for compulsion elsewhere? And also, how about workplaces like offices? Will they/should they not be compulsory in those environments?

Are the government actually bringing it in as a public health measure or are they brining it in for economic reasons, i.e. as a psychological reassurance to people to get out and 'shop'?

If the latter then it may well work but it also brings with it the risk of a lackaidaisical attitude towards the wider risks ('I've got a mask on therefore I'm safe' or 'Only compulsory in shops so it's only shops that are a risk'). It also ignores the idea that it may well put people off from 'popping' in to a shop to casually buy something (I wouldn't be using a one-off disposable mask to go and buy a pint of milk) or leave those small, local shops at risk of not enforcing the mask-wearing and is the corner shop where you want people to be failing to observe this if it's for public health reasons?

My wife bought some from some place called "mipha moon". Yeah, I've got no idea either! Anyway, they are fabric and washable and they are not uncomfortable to wear. I've got a couple in the van which I use at work or to go to the shops to get lunch or stuff. I've had a couple of nice comments about them too! 

Edited by welnik
Oops, someone beat me to it

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Personal choice, I don’t like wearing them and I’m not convinced of their worth. As with a lot of the past few months I feel it’s an over reaction from a government who literally have no idea what they’re doing.

20 minutes ago, snowychap said:

(I certainly wouldn't want it to become an ingrained thing, however)

By this, do you mean that you don't want the law/regulation to remain once the pandemic is over, or that you hope the cultural norm of wearing a mask doesn't last?

I certainly wouldn't want it to be a long-term enforced regulation, but as a cultural norm I don't mind it during the height of flu season.

22 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I don't know if they will be made mandatory in pubs and restaurants, but they should be. In Poland you wear a mask until you sit at your table, i.e. at the bar or in the toilet. Then you're only at the table with the people you're with anyway, distanced from others, and you can take it off. The staff still wear theirs In shops everyone is mingling close to each other all the time, that's the difference.

This is very simple and obvious, I don't see what the fuss is or how the UK govt could make such a mess of it (well ok they're a complete shambles).

But if you’re maintaining social distancing in shops - as you’re supposed to be doing - then what’s the need and why are you suddenly less vulnerable being sat at a table with a meal or drink?

In fact, I’d guess that being sat in the same place for an hour or longer (as opposed to shopping and therefore being on the move) would make you more susceptible to catching it, maybe.

In all honesty I’m resistant to change by nature so I’m almost certainly in the minority with my view I know.

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As with a lot of the past few months I feel it’s an over reaction from a government who literally have no idea what they’re doing.

(Said only half in jest)...

Surely then as they've spent the last three months saying they are unnecessary you should have assumed they were wrong and been wearing one?

• Like 1

Â