Generic Virus Thread

villakram

55 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Hmm, whilst there’s nothing wrong with that article, I think comparing one country’s approach to the biggest shit show of a circus in Europe doesn’t achieve a great deal.

Germany has done much better than our “I’ll continue to shake hands” buffoon, but, well, so has every country in Europe, it seems, but even one of Germany’s own top epidemiologists thinks more could have been done even in his country. 

Already by the end of January, a group of experts to which I belong, had demanded decisive travel controls at the airports, country-wide surveillance and school closures. 

To be frank: I was shocked by how health authorities played down the severity of this situation for too long, and I do not exclude Germany here. 

https://sciencemediahub.eu/2020/03/25/prof-alexander-kekule-the-eu-needs-a-trustworthy-appointee-for-pandemics-and-an-epidemiological-expert-council/

50 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

This is why you cannot rule out a virus escaped from that Wuhan lab or even bio warfare.

I haven’t the first clue mate. The level 4 bio-security research lab is definitely there in Wuhan, but as to what was going on inside you’d need a job with a 3 letter agency to answer. Chances are they aren’t clear on that either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

We did. Felt utterly crap, pretty much through the whole of December and January (Xmas Day was particularly awful). Still not convinced it was COVID-19, though. 

Same, No.2 son picked it up at nursery early December and was ill for about 4 days, then wife and I both had it, her for about 2 weeks and me for 5-6 weeks - also no drinks on Christmas Day! Couldn’t shake it off for ages and cough persisted into Feb. 

I wondered if we’d had it, but she pointed out if it was spreading widely then the pneumonia cases would be been hitting our hospitals at the same time, which they obviously didn’t. 

Think it was just a nasty winter flu bug, unfortunately. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

I haven’t the first clue mate. The level 4 bio-security research lab is definitely there in Wuhan, but as to what was going on inside you’d need a job with a 3 letter agency to answer. Chances are they aren’t clear on that either. 

It tells you here. 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Same, No.2 son picked it up at nursery early December and was ill for about 4 days, then wife and I both had it, her for about 2 weeks and me for 5-6 weeks - also no drinks on Christmas Day! Couldn’t shake it off for ages and cough persisted into Feb. 

I wondered if we’d had it, but she pointed out if it was spreading widely then the pneumonia cases would be been hitting our hospitals at the same time, which they obviously didn’t. 

Think it was just a nasty winter flu bug, unfortunately. 

There was a spike in pneumonia cases end of last year according to figures, but maybe they put it down to flu which can lead to pneumonia in some cases.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

The conservatives ratings have gone up. Highest it’s been in a while. 

It doesn't surprise me. Tory voters have always been selfish voters. As long as their ok then **** the rest. 

I think its incredibly sad that 1000 people are dying a day and people not only don't have an issue with it, they think its the result of a job well done. 

We can convince ourselves that its media manipulation and ill informed people but a lot of it will be words removed, who don't have this virus and don't give a shit what happens to others as long as their party can still come out looking good. 

Politics is all about winning and nothing to do with being the best for the people. It's why we seem to be going to the extreme on both sides and why that word removed over the Atlantic somehow is president. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It doesn't surprise me. Tory voters have always been selfish voters. As long as their ok then **** the rest. 

I think its incredibly sad that 1000 people are dying a day and people not only don't have an issue with it, they think its the result of a job well done. 

We can convince ourselves that its media manipulation and ill informed people but a lot of it will be words removed, who don't have this virus and don't give a shit what happens to others as long as their party can still come out looking good. 

Politics is all about winning and nothing to do with being the best for the people. It's why we seem to be going to the extreme on both sides and why that word removed over the Atlantic somehow is president. 

Your complaint needs to start with the Chinese government really. 

I don't get it.

Football, as an example, is supposed to be partisan. It's supposed to be about cheering on your team and '**** the rest'. Politics is not. We all want what's best. However, if Vill did something wrong, we would be able to turn around and say 'yeah play we **** up'.

However, I still see very little criticism of the Tories, and even defence of them, by their members, supporters etc.

Hyperpartisanship is the new norm, inflated by Brexit and too many elections.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

This is why you cannot rule out a virus escaped from that Wuhan lab or even bio warfare.

Who do you believe, actual experts or some bloke off the internet?

The authors of The Lancet statement note that scientists from several countries who have studied SARS-CoV-2 “overwhelmingly conclude that this coronavirus originated in wildlife,” just like many other viruses that have recently emerged in humans. “Conspiracy theories do nothing but create fear, rumours, and prejudice that jeopardise our global collaboration in the fight against this virus,” the statement says.

Science Mag (reporting the Lancet)

• Thanks 2

Boris’ new video statement on twitter has very much the look of a bloke who just walked away from a car wreck not really knowing how he’s still alive. 

If he was ever going to have an epiphany about public services, it doesn’t hurt to have received it while he’s got 5 yrs to push as PM and the majority to do something about it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Boris’ new video statement on twitter has very much the look of a bloke who just walked away from a car wreck not really knowing how he’s still alive. 

If he was ever going to have an epiphany about public services, it doesn’t hurt to have received it while he’s got 5 yrs to push as PM and the majority to do something about it. 

Shame he belongs to a party and has a base support that doesn't really give a shit.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Shame he belongs to a party and has a base support that doesn't really give a shit.

Out of interest... were all those 100s of 1000s of life-long Labour voters who just voted Tory actually heartless mongrels all along? Or is it possible these caricatured generalisations don’t really exist outside your own imagination? 

• Like 3

Coronavirus may spread twice as fast as previously thought – with one patient infecting 5.7 others rather than 2.5, Wuhan study shows

• Scientists from Los Alamos National Laboratory looked at figures in Wuhan
  • Virus passed from 1 to another between 2.3 to 3.3 days, half what was estimated
  • The study found that 82% of people would need to be immune to stop spreading

Figures released at the start of the outbreak claimed one person would infect 2.2 to 2.7 people. 

However, scientists from Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico who studied the early stages of the Wuhan outbreak found each carrier actually infected an average of 5.7 people.

The study found that 82 per cent of people would have to be immune - either via a vaccine or from recovering from the disease already - to stop it spreading. 

The virus's 'doubling' rate - passing from one person to another leaving two people infected - was initially given at between six and seven days.

But the American research team put this figure at 2.3 to 3.3 days early on in the Wuhan epidemic 'suggesting a much faster rate of spread than initially measured', the study's findings said.

Scientists found that the incubation period - the time from when a person is first exposed to the bug to when they start showing symptoms - is  4.2 days, one day shorter than two previous estimates.

Before January 18, the time from when symptoms first showed to hospitalisation was 5.5 days in China.

After January 18, the duration shortened significantly to 1.5 days. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8211887/Coronavirus-spread-twice-fast-previously-thought.html

Not the best source perhaps but still

Â