Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

eeeeehhh

I struggle to find a problem with this. it started as a bit of a joke, but now they have a huge audience, mostly young men and they do some decent stuff.

Better than the BBC/ITV asking the same questions every day and not getting any proper answers tbh.

I am not their target audience so didnt realise that they were now moving away from bantz lol. Genuinely I dont view their stuff. 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Common problem, as I stated earlier, my missus basically had to tell her boss (who was working from home) to sod off, when it was suggested she couldn't. "You're a key worker, you're allowed to go to work" was the response. My missus pointed out that she was sharing space with a team of 10(ish) district nurses, 7 of whom already had CV19 and then pointed out that the government said that if you can work from home, you should.

Her Boss is a idiot. My missus told him she was working from home and if she didn't like it, she was a) contacting the union and b) looking forward to the disciplinary hearing.

Sounds very similar to our situation.

My missus even already had the I.T. at home that the office had provided her, but apparently that was only for ‘the odd day, like when you are sick’. There’s a whole **** thing there I’ll not comment on!

Anyway, my missus, being quite contrary, can now work from home and is. But is also now volunteering to go in and man the help desk and reception one day a week. Having won the principle she could do her own job from home.

Bit of a shame the office doesn’t have ppe as they deal directly with the public. I just presuming they must be using it wrong.

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

This misses the point completely. Now I'm on balance against us (anyone) having a nuclear arsenal, but...

The whole point of a deterrent, for that's what it is, is that it is working the whole time. There's always a sub at sea. Always. It's like a flu jab - you might not actually need the jab, but having one means (the theory goes) you are protected in the event that some nasty germ were set on attacking you. Or it's like insurance, or burglar alarms or locks on doors.

At some point you have to spend money on defence. I know no one likes it, compared to hospitals, especially right now, and that's understandable. We've seen all of a sudden that there is money available. It doesn't have to be an either/or situation.

I don't want to derial the thread and not sure how much interest in discussing it there is from other posters, might be worth opening up a new one

But of all the things our government spunks money up the wall for trident is probably the one I disagree with the most

Its a complete waste of money 

Its £200bn worth of peacocking

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Almost as bad as HS2 then.

HS2 is hard to explain, based on the construction forums I've had to attend at work the investment it's bringing in to brum you can make an argument that it's worthwhile, whether or not they could have achieved that investment via another method I haven't looked so I don't know

There's a saying that you build a road out of a recession, means you plough a load of cash in to a construction project and it gives the economy a massive boost, HS2 is that road,  the forecasted construction budgets for brum City centre, brum Airport, even Wolverhampton following HS2 make it seem worthwhile even if it is horrifically expensive 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, veloman said:

Would I be correct in thinking it was Labour who initiated HS2 ?

You would. I thought it was a colossal waste of money when originally budgeted at £36 billion. Most recent estimate was - what? - £106 billion? But hey, you could cut 15 minutes off your trip to London. Far better idea than investing in more and better trains (with lower fares). Or, heaven forbid, spending it on the NHS. 

• Like 3

Imagine spending £106 Billion on improved housing, connectivity, transport and business development around the Midlands, rather than on a way to get to London a bit quicker in ten years time.

Imagine a country where you could skype and team and Remote Desktop. Like some mad future world where you don’t need a train to London to talk to someone.

But of course we all know, if time is money and its urgent, there’s no substitute for going by car to the main train station, getting a train to a hub, popping on a tube, then jumping in a cab.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

This misses the point completely. Now I'm on balance against us (anyone) having a nuclear arsenal, but...

The whole point of a deterrent, for that's what it is, is that it is working the whole time. There's always a sub at sea. Always. It's like a flu jab - you might not actually need the jab, but having one means (the theory goes) you are protected in the event that some nasty germ were set on attacking you. Or it's like insurance, or burglar alarms or locks on doors.

At some point you have to spend money on defence. I know no one likes it, compared to hospitals, especially right now, and that's understandable. We've seen all of a sudden that there is money available. It doesn't have to be an either/or situation.

Agree with most of that particularly the bit about it being a deterrent.

The reality is a number of other countries do have a nuclear arsenal so IMO it is important we do too even if we never have to use it.

That's not to say we shouldn't have spent more or differently in other areas.

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Imagine spending £106 Billion on improved housing, connectivity, transport and business development around the Midlands, rather than on a way to get to London a bit quicker in ten years time.

How's this for bizarre. HS2 will actually make the journey from Liverpool to London longer! Current plans have them doing away with the Liverpool to London High Speed Link. We'll be expected to either go to Crewe on the slow train and catch a fast one or eventually go to Manchester and then London. The new WCML company have already added 15 mins to the journey by adding in stops in either Rugby or Nuneaton

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I am not their target audience so didnt realise that they were now moving away from bantz lol. Genuinely I dont view their stuff. 

Yeah they moved away from the laddish “bantaaa” ages ago when they got a new female CEO or head of content (someone senior anyway). Tit Tuesday and the rest of that sort of stuff is long gone. 
They get pelters for some of the content regularly in the comments (the old skool followers don’t think it’s laddish enough anymore), but even though they’ve tried to move away from their original intended audience, they still have over >2M followers (edit: >2m on Twitter and apparently over 35M on Facebook!!!) 

I assume they’re given credibility and allowed to attend these conferences due to the overall reach they have. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Surely HS2 won't go ahead now? Will it??? 

They've already spent a big chunk of it, skanska have been doing works in London for it for around 18 months

Brum airport has already started the extension works based on it happening, even the enabling works for Curzon Street have been done

I could also give a long winded explanation as to why the £36bn cost plan data is a load of bollocks and its a complete waste of time releasing that data to the public 

And it is in effect spending £106bn on business development outside of London, that's the whole point of it, its not about 15 minutes quicker on the train, its about HSBC building an office in brum rather than London 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

How's this for bizarre. HS2 will actually make the journey from Liverpool to London longer! Current plans have them doing away with the Liverpool to London High Speed Link. We'll be expected to either go to Crewe on the slow train and catch a fast one or eventually go to Manchester and then London. The new WCML company have already added 15 mins to the journey by adding in stops in either Rugby or Nuneaton

Fishguard to Aberystwyth, 1 hour by car. £75 and 9 hours with a change at Cardiff and a change at Shrewsbury by train!

You can **** see Aberystwyth from Fishguard.

I know that wasn’t strictly relevant, but yeah, what we need is more money spent getting to London.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'The media will hold the government to account when the time is right' is just the ultimate British Political Journalism quote.

And he's on the left of the media!

Â