Recruitment

TRO

if you need a left back, you don't spunk £15M on a bloke who cant get a game at Southampton.    

If you need to dominate a midfield in the premier league you don't sign two relatively unheard of players whove never kicked a ball in the league

And if you spend best part of £70M on defenders, you don't expect them to be the worst defence in the league...…….

If you want a quality centre forward you don't blow your beans on a bloke with one leg shorter than the other

When you need help uptop in January, you get someone in who has had more than one good season in the last 7

When you struggling to sort out between the sticks you don't spunk 7M on a keeper and never play him, then have to replace him 3 months later

In a nutshell, the rectruitment team have royally **** it up, and all respect to Dean Smith for getting us up, but hes also royally **** it up signing off on a right load of wank

• Like 2

On 21/06/2020 at 13:37, sne said:

Engels agent is at least claiming that he was the architect behind our signings with the Belgian connection and that he "helped" us by working with Suso to get it done.

You would think he would have something better on his CV to boast about 😉

• Haha 1

On 22/06/2020 at 09:18, Bazmonkey said:

The recruitment for years has been poor.  Apart from a few loan signing the rest has been average at best and ultimately set the club back years.

We have spent far too much money on far to many 'one for the future' players.

I all for going down the leagues and finding a player which this applies for but you cannot do it for a whole team, especially in the premiership, its crazy.  Who are these players to learn from, where is the experience.

Then theres the 'experience players' the Elmo's...the Targett' of the world.  Both of these players have come from teams that have been either lower premiership or fighting relegation for most of their careers.  Its habitual, its muscle memory, how are these players all of sudden for years scrapping, booting the ball, defending poorly suddenly expected to move to us and change that philosophy, answer, it doesn't.

Most of the squad is championship at best and not the top half.  Its hard to comment of Wes and Samatta because lets face it the service and support from the rest of the team has been shocking, Harry Kane would struggle to get more than two goals in this team.

The recruitment this summer was always going to hard but the board, manager, scouts have truly messed it up.  we went down last time when a new tv deal kicked in a missed out, now that FFP is going to cancelled, ok, we didn't know that at the start but that's another one we will miss out on.

The Jots, hause's did we we really need them, could we not have used that money on a Cahill, or an experience premiership player not playing as much, be stronger, i think we could have.

It was a massive gamble with the players brought in to one play in the prem and two, stay in it.  In addition, knowing that Grealish, our top asset was likely to go if we went down, they would have known that, and whey didn't factor that in.

I keep reading we have a good side if we go down, sorry, we don't, we have a good manager, sorry, I like him, but as a manager, out of his depth, we didn't set the championship on fire last time round, yes we won 10 on the bounce, but did we dominate, run over teams, or was like yesterday a bit, only difference the quality wasn't their to finish us off in most games.

When we go down i just cant see us coming back for two maybe three years min due to the recruitment process and those in charge, plus add to that Grealish and the better players Mings and McGinn may leave too if an offer comes in.

very,very sadly.....wrapped up nicely.

we have changed administrations, but it has been all much the same.

The recruitment every summer will be hard, because we fail so many times and then the ones that are ok ..are desperate to get out.

rinse & repeat.

On 28/06/2020 at 09:01, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

£140m

818B574B-2D41-440C-B496-9370E658D288.jpeg

El Ghazi came from 2nd in the French League at time of buying him

Wesley and Nakamba played Champions League

Engels played in the 4th best defence in France

Samatta played Champions League this season so not sure how Genk counts as a mid table team unless winning the league now means mid-table

Heaton played all of Burnley 2nd half of last season replacing Hart and changed the form

• Like 1

The £140m figure is an exaggeration anyway as much of that figure won't be payable until the players meet certain clauses in their contracts, like winning caps, scoring goals scored, and so on, which if happen we will be happy to pay, wouldn't be surprised if the actual amount spent wasn't even £100m, Purslow quoted the potential £140m in the context of praising the support that our owners have shown, so of course he's going to talk it up and spin things slightly.

I don't think the problem was really who we signed, but more who we didn't sign.

Haven't read the article but why would we wait until the end of the season to review our recruitment policy, surely that's something that we should be doing now, so if they do find that there's something wrong with it, they can make necessary changes in time for the summer.

• Like 2

I personally think we should be tweaking not going for wholesale sackings.

Surely that's something we've learned as a club over the past 10+ years?

To learn we need to control the variables and see what works. Keep Purslow, tune the scouting, tune the coaching, keep the good young core of players and take good offers for dispensable players. 

We might get relegated yes...but when you consider all factors, and the pressure to bring people in at the start of the season it's not optimal. And not even slightly comparable to relatively stable PL teams eating PL money with solid systems requiring just 3-4 additions. We used to be a club like that!

We had the shortest time to buy with uncertainty until the Play Off Finals, We had a huge turnover of players & dependancy on loan players. We were certainly let down by targets. These people aren't morons, they wouldn't have planned to go into the season with Davis, Wesley and Kodjia. We were linked with selling Kodjiia all last season and Smith has gone on record saying we were let down by a target at the last minute. Could even have been Abraham - who knows!?

Everything I've heard from, and about Purslow is logical. Our approach to transfers hasn't been as scattergun as some people paint, that doesn't mean successful, but it's not an exact science. IMO, throwing the lot out and starting again would put us back if anything. We need to be learning and adapting. Football has changed a lot in 10 years.

Edited by Djemba_Villan

Just think we could've blown 20m on Butland aswell.

At least there was some sense there as Heaton is a much superior keeper for  2/3 less.

Crucial point of the season was him getting injured at Burnley as I think we'd have least ground out 1-2 clean sheets more with him in goal so dug out a draw and possibly even a win which would be very crucial now.

• Like 3

There is some good picks in there. 140m doesnt get you much nowadays when you have to spread it so thin.

I wouldn't be inclined to rip it all up. I would be more inclined to find our why we have failed to get more out of them. Nakamba looked great at the start. As did Guilbert and Engels. They have all lost the ability to do the absolute basics and look so slow and unfit.

Except Trez. He was always shit 

• Like 1

Â