Match Thread: Sheff Utd v Villa

limpid

My analysis,

We are solid at the back, which is pleasing. Our midfield can't control the ball effectively so Sheffield United know we're going wide. El Ghazi and Guilbert are not cohesive and Jack is getting lots of attention. Wes is getting long balls and rushed passes and yes he's barely done anything from those scraps.... 

Until McGinn or Lansbury lift their game or DS makes a change I can't see us scoring unless it's a bit of sheer luck.

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Jack on the left works to an extent when Conor plays. Not today. He wants to be back in the middle where he can dictate the game more. He looks fed up of having to keep tracking back and defending. Put Trez out there and take McGinn or Lansbury off. McGinn deserves hooking more but they do play better together in the middle

With most the ball down the right I don’t understand why he did swap with anwar, he would have much more of the ball and el Gazi would be more suited to attacking the ball in the area Jack provides.

• Like 1

Just now, jjaacckk91 said:

It's dissappointing me that when the ball does go up in the air he's not really challenging for it, he runs to where it is, but just giving their player the header by not getting up there.

You're right though not a lot happening elsewhere though.

Multiply that by 8 or 9 and I know you are watching it.....that's like every game.

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Wesley with a 47% pass completion percentage at half time

I'm guessing you got that stat from whoscored

The same site reports Wesley to be our best player outside the defence with a rating of 6.7 compared to Jacks 6.0

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Give kodjia a chance second half 

This is an area in which Smith is looking ridiculously stubborn. He won't come on for a minute.  Wesley will be unsubbable until Davis comes back, then we'll give the other striker who's incapable of scoring goals a runout. 

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This is a little sign of Smith being scared and panicking. 

We're not looking like a Dean Smith team at all.

If these tactics continue, I will be convinced Smith is now just trying to keep us in the league, which will keep many fans happy, as that was all what was expected. Me, I think he hasn't got the experience to get the best out of this squad and has now resulted to safe play.

• Like 1

I think some of this may be a confidence issue after Leicester.

We’re missing the eccentricity of Mings, but maybe we’re also missing a bit of leadership.

Time for Jack to step up and drive them on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

My analysis,

We are solid at the back, which is pleasing. Our midfield can't control the ball effectively so Sheffield United know we're going wide. El Ghazi and Guilbert are not cohesive and Jack is getting lots of attention. Wes is getting long balls and rushed passes and yes he's barely done anything from those scraps.... 

Until McGinn or Lansbury lift their game or DS makes a change I can't see us scoring unless it's a bit of sheer luck.

Another feature of our play in general.....so we go after wingers.....when are we going to wake up.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

I'm honestly baffled by this.

Would never think i'd see a Dean Smith side play this way.

Is the whole squad devoid of confidence?

Is something up we don't know about?

Is Hourihane injured or have they had a falling out?

Things just don't seem right,

2 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

We look terrible again but at least we're not losing. We might score if we actually get someone in the box. Give kodjia a chance second half 

Exactly.

There's been more than a few times we've got it wide and Wesley hasn't even made it into the box. It's one thing to bemoan his lack of service but he is rarely an option, his movement is horrific.This includes when we try and break and he is just jogging nowhere rather than occupying a defender and creating an option, as ive said before ive give Wesley a lot of slack but there is no sign of improvement as of yet.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

If these tactics continue, I will be convinced Smith is now just trying to keep us in the league, which will keep many fans happy, as that was all what was expected. Me, I think he hasn't got the experience to get the best out of this squad and has now resulted to safe play.

Starting to think so too.

We've never been set up like this all season. I'm still in shock.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Respectfully disagree with pretty much everything in this post.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is the whole squad devoid of confidence?

Is something up we don't know about?

Is Hourihane injured or have they had a falling out?

Things just don't seem right,

It is looking like a game plan.

All season our midfield been bombing forward. Today they are intentionally sitting deep by the looks of it.