Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 16 of 38)

zab6359

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Konsa and Elmo keep their place. Guilbert should be back in for me.

Doug in for Hourihane.

Anwar in for Trez.

overall, I think Guilbert is better.  But Elmo is safer in defense.  i think sticking with Elmo is the right call.  We will need to be as tight as possible.  having said that, it seems to me that we have conceded far too many goals at the back post when the attack is coming down our left hand side.  so whoever we play there will have to be sharper on the back post than they have been recently.

• Like 1

Konsa's positioning has worried me in the last few games - he seems to be behind the goal scorer each time, often with his hand held up incorrectly for offside - but I can see he's definitely got lots of potential. I hope this run in the team can really help him improve, but he needs to cut out the Championship-level marking as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

Engels in for Konsa for me, but otherwise spot on. Somewhat more defensive against the in form Leicester, even if we're at home.

Elmo is a good choice fir this game. Guilbert is swift, but suspect defensively.

Like a lot of you, I'm a lot happier with Engels starting than Konsa. Always good to see players being rewarded if they take their chance, but Konsa has been culpable for a number of goals for me. Also don't think players should lose their place just because they get injured - Engels has been very good for the most part. This could also discourage players from declaring knocks as they'll feel they'll be out of the side for an extended period. All that said, UTV!

The decision to leave Freddy out makes me think that Smith is showing that you keep the shirt if you play well enough. However, that does not make Elmo a better player overall. 

With Chilwell bombing forward at every opportunity, I'd rather has seen us playing Freddy as he could have given him something to think about going the other way that may have made Chilwell think twice about getting forward so much. We'll see, I guess. 

Happy with the team. I think it will give us a bit more stability against a very good midfield. We need to be patient and not leave ourself open to their counters.

I live in Leicester so more desperate than normal for a villa victory. Come on you Villa boys!!!!!

21 minutes ago, jasonperry_uk said:

Konsa's positioning has worried me in the last few games - he seems to be behind the goal scorer each time, often with his hand held up incorrectly for offside - but I can see he's definitely got lots of potential. I hope this run in the team can really help him improve, but he needs to cut out the Championship-level marking as soon as possible. 

Yeah he was a bit all over the place at times in midweek, surprised he’s been left in but In Smith I trust.