Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 16 of 38)

zab6359

8 hours ago, Hornso said:

Somewhat Regular Premier League Tidbits

We've played Leicester 20 times in the Premier League for a record of 4 wins, 9 draws & 7 defeats, scoring 1.5 GPG and conceding 1.55 GPG with an average of 1.05 points per game.

In our relegation season we drew 1-1 with them at Villa Park and won 2-1 the season before that. You have to go back to 2001/02 since they last won at Villa Park in the league.

For most of my time following football Leicester have been terrible and we have been much better, this is certainly their glory period. Right now they have a very bright young team.

But i recall back in the 90s and early millennium when we were regularly challenging for Europe they were a bogey team for us.

In the last 10-15 years we have probably won more against them than them vs us though - even in the 15/16 season when we were absolutely atrocious and won 3 games all season, and they won the league, we still drew 1-1 at VP. However, that 3-2 at their place when we were 2-0 up that season still bugs me massively, especially when that chav Vardy started celebrating afterwards 🤬

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

For most of my time following football Leicester have been terrible and we have been much better, this is certainly their glory period. Right now they have a very bright young team.

But i recall back in the 90s and early millennium when we were regularly challenging for Europe they were a bogey team for us.

that 4-4 game :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Its alright, we don't have Sherwood in charge so we wont have this: 

Image result for tim sherwood gif

Seriously though, going to be a tough game but what we have consistently shown this season so far is that we look try and win every game and we don't give up. 

Whilst I like Konsa and I have been impressed with him, I think we need the experience of Engels for this match. Guilbert slots right back in. Midfield trio of Nakamba - Luiz - McGinn (Luiz changed the game on Wednesday and deserves to start). Trezeguet probably on the right, though not sure we have much option (think El Ghazi will still be injured). 

Going 2-1 Villa.

• Haha 2

All I say is Beef on the Block better be there this time... was really looking forward to my steak and chips at Newcastle only to find out despite being mentioned in the introduction piece there were never meant to be there! :rant:

Still, they have at least acknowledged they will be there so :hooray:

Almost no chance of winning this game, especially if we play like we did against Chelsea. We need to accept that in recent years Leicester have the best team in the Midlands and at the moment are title challengers.

Just because it's Leicester, their ground is smaller, their fans have god-awful clappers and 'we always used to be better', that means nothing. They are simply a better team with a better manager, so I won't get too upset if we don't get anything from the game. I just want us to play positively and make it competitive as the home side, any points we get will be a bonus.

1 hour ago, MadridVilla said:

Almost no chance of winning this game, especially if we play like we did against Chelsea. We need to accept that in recent years Leicester have the best team in the Midlands and at the moment are title challengers.

Just because it's Leicester, their ground is smaller, their fans have god-awful clappers and 'we always used to be better', that means nothing. They are simply a better team with a better manager, so I won't get too upset if we don't get anything from the game. I just want us to play positively and make it competitive as the home side, any points we get will be a bonus.

Now I'm depressed :(

Teams have been sitting back against Leicester lately and making them work for it. They have evolved into a possession based team under Rodgers but still like to spring Vardy on the counter.

I don't think Dean Smith will want to play too open a game on Sunday but I expect Grealish to play a blinder against Madisson. I think the game will be a dandy !!

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

Teams have been sitting back against Leicester lately and making them work for it.

That's the worst thing you can do. You are basically playing straight into Leicester's strengths.

Leicester got plenty of players to unlock a tight defense.

2 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

Now I'm depressed :(

It's a sad reflection of just how far Villa have fallen, but on the other hand just how amazingly Leicester have managed to establish themselves as a decent Premier League side, not just a one-off miracle winner then back to relegation. The management and ownership of the club has been nothing short of remarkable, and a lot of credit has to go to their late owner for that. 

I wouldn't be feeling depressed because Villa are a club progressing to establish themselves like Leicester have. It's a long-term project that stems right from the top of the club all the way to the academy, and it will take time for results to establish themselves. Hence why I would be reluctant to make any knee-jerk changes of manager, sell the best players etc. Keep the faith, we will be in their position one day.

• Like 2

Our defensive “ shortcomings” have been massively over exaggerated by some, who, in the main, appear to have not noticed who we’ve been playing recently.

We are a decent side defensively, and a very good side offensively.

Just as I thought it was unrealistic to expect Chelsea to extend an untypical losing sequence, I think it is unrealistic to expect Leicester to continue this purple patch.

The result doesn’t matter, the performance does, but I’m extremely hopeful we will get both. In fact I think we will Win well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Memories

1976 I was at Filbert street when Chris Nichol out CB scored all 4 goals in a 2-2 draw

My personal favourite moment was at the Walkers when we’d started the season unbeaten under MON and they accidentally got an opera singer on at half time who sang the “ we are unbeatable “ song 😂 (La Donna  e mobile).

6 hours ago, wedge said:

Torn whether I'd prefer Marvelous or Douglas Luiz (or both) for this one. Hourihane was non-existent on Wednesday night but he's our best goalscoring midfielder and seems to perform well at VP.

Definitely both along with McGinn, for me Conor only plays in home games we are expected to dominate and win.