Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 14 of 38)

zab6359

55 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That is a junk side. Be disappointed if we can't beat that lot

It's not. They beat Leicester. And is still the only team in the PL this season to get a point against Liverpool.

Not saying it's the toughest game of the next 3, it's really not. But to get anything we need our share of luck and be at it.

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's not. They beat Leicester. And is still the only team in the PL this season to get a point against Liverpool.

Not saying it's the toughest game of the next 3, it's really not. But to get anything we need our share of luck and be at it.

They had stronger midfield for those games. Ultimately Pogba-McTominay is their first choice central midfield and both are out.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

They had stronger midfield for those games. Ultimately Pogba-McTominay is their first choice central midfield and both are out.

I agree with that. McTominay is crucial for them.

But still. They got a very dangerous front three.

Just now, villalad21 said:

I agree with that. McTominay is crucial for them.

But still. They got a very dangerous front three.

I agree. Martial and Rashford are both incredibly inconsistant but Rashford is on a pretty good scoring run currently and they desperately need Martial's movement in final third. James has adapted well to the premier league. It's similar to what we used to have with Young and Gabby but those guys were nulified in many home games.

Ultimately though you sit your defence a little deeper and deny them space. The goal they scored v Liverpool was when Liverpool were caught on the halfway line on a counter, Leicester game they just scored a penalty after ten minutes. There's a reason Man. United really struggle to score away from home and at Old Trafford if they're playing someone decent so hopefully we've watched enough of those videos.

I think we should attack them to be honest. We can score, not sure we can keep a clean sheet.

I can see Marvelous coming in for either Luiz or McGinn. It'll be noticeable how good McGinn is once he's out the side I reckon. A fired up John McGinn coming on at 65 mins when it's 1-1 would be a delight to behold.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think we should attack them to be honest. We can score, not sure we can keep a clean sheet.

I can see Marvelous coming in for either Luiz or McGinn. It'll be noticeable how good McGinn is once he's out the side I reckon. A fired up John McGinn coming on at 65 mins when it's 1-1 would be a delight to behold.

Play the gameplan we played against Spurs and Arsenal. It almost worked in those cases, with teams that are able to break down teams at home. If we play like we did at Arsenal, we'd smash United imo. They won't find a way through us if we sit deep and we'll hit them on the counter a couple of times.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Like Brighton tried to do against them? It was suicidal. You gotta respect their front 3

23 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Bissaka got zero assists in 11 games...

In the modern game a fullback is judged on much more than just defending.

Agreed, I think that is true, he is adjusting to his new team, he’s only young, I think he has an awful lot of potential, that’s why Solskjaer paid such a big fee for him. I thought Wan Bissaka was incredible for Palace, that’s why Man Utd paid so much for him 

• Like 1

Somewhat Regular Premier League Tidbits

We've played Manchester United 48 times in the Premier League for a record of 3 wins, 11 draws & 34 defeats, scoring 0.5625 GPG and conceding 1.8125 GPG with an average of 0.417 points per game.

Last time we defeated them at Old Trafford was back in 2009/10 when we won 1-0 thanks to a Gabby Agbonlahor header. It is also our only victory at Old Trafford in the Premier League. Our two wins came at Villa Park back in 1992/93 & 1995/96. I said it last week and I'll say it again, our record against them is **** atrocious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

That lineup is the best chance we have of league win at OT in donkeys years. I really think it's the most winnable of next 3 that said I never expect a win against Manure 

6 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Drop Conor and bring Marvelous back in to shore up our defense and have a more clinical Wesley and just maybe?

no way should we be dropping Conor at all for this game, he's deserves to keep his place. He's a dangerous player, i think we are likely to win the game with him in the side than without. 

• Like 2

I think we'll play the 4-2-3-1, Marvelous back in next to luiz, 3 of hourihane, mcginn and grealish. 

We need to find the right balance here, too gung ho and we might be a couple down by half time but at the same time we should have a go at this lot. We have the ability to score  few ourselves.

14 hours ago, Hornso said:

Somewhat Regular Premier League Tidbits

We've played Manchester United 48 times in the Premier League for a record of 3 wins, 11 draws & 34 defeats, scoring 0.5625 GPG and conceding 1.8125 GPG with an average of 0.417 points per game.

Last time we defeated them at Old Trafford was back in 2009/10 when we won 1-0 thanks to a Gabby Agbonlahor header. It is also our only victory at Old Trafford in the Premier League. Our two wins came at Villa Park back in 1992/93 & 1995/96. I said it last week and I'll say it again, our record against them is **** atrocious. 

2009/10 Gabby or current Wesley. Who would you play?

16 hours ago, villalad21 said:

They would be top of the league if they could keep up that form;

Unfortunately for them they seem to raise their game for the big uns, and I doubt they will see us in that bracket!

A newly promoted club at home, they will see this as a banker!

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Play the gameplan we played against Spurs and Arsenal. It almost worked in those cases, with teams that are able to break down teams at home. If we play like we did at Arsenal, we'd smash United imo. They won't find a way through us if we sit deep and we'll hit them on the counter a couple of times.

I agree and I’m certain it’s what Smith will do.